Port Macquarie Red Sp Action - 30/7/06

After a solid two months without an offshore session due to commitments and poor sea conditions - the time has arrived for another snapper on plastics assault - with the hope of heading wider later in the session to add some leatherjackets to the catch.

Pete and I departed my place at a relatively late (by our standards) 6am to arrive at the ramp at 6:20 and be on the spot at 6:45am. Within 5 minutes i was on to a chunky little kilo fish that lifted our spirits. No pic of this puppy as only fish over 2kg are worthy of piccies.

Me and Pete then added numerous just legal fish to the well pior to this puppy - a PB on plastic for the p-man.

post-302-1154335218_thumb.jpg

3.2kg of hard pulling red.

I followed up with my best for the day but well below my PB - a modest red of 2kg.

post-302-1154335529_thumb.jpg

It was to be Pete's day however. After accumulating about 10 reds they went off a bit and we ventured into deeper water in hope of a few jackets. We sent down a doube hooked rig with squid baits and within 5 minutes - i heard an angrily buzzing drag only to turn around and see pete giving a fish that i called for a big or small kingy a bit of stick. After about 5 minutes up came this little baby...

post-302-1154335828_thumb.jpg

Guest Reely

Crazy fish, top effort.

Red, seen how many Snapper they been getting in QLD lately? it makes me cry. All within their limits too which makes it sadder.

as soon as i crack that elusive big jew a snapper like that (the first one will do!) is on my list. Awsome fish, did you get a weight on the big one, looks a good 7-8kg

Edited by jewnut

Looks as though you know where to fish and how to target species. Those snapper for many would be a fish to talk about for years. Is that a normal day for you guys or an extordinary day????

How did you cook them up, any good recipes

Cheers

Martin

Top report loomy.

Some great reds on plastics,but that last

one is a cracker.Do you often get snapper

that big on paternoster rigs up that way?

I've only ever caught pan sized reds on pat

rigs,my bigger snapper have come from

floating baits in a bearly trail.

Reports like yours should be banned from this site,

it is not fair that you catch such huge Snapper like that,

and then torture the rest of us poor buggers with

your pictures :ranting2: AAAGGGGHHHHHHHH.

Seriously though well done,

:beersmile: penguin

Guys,

The big boy went 6.5kg.

Martin thats probably the best day we've had on the reds although we're really just scratchin the surface on this type of fishing. About 6months ago pete and i hadn't done a whole lot of reds on plastics or reds on anything for that matter fishing and it was a new experience. Every trip just seems to get better and we keep smashing our PB's. All up we got 15 reds, one pearl perch and one sand flatty - not a bad day at all for 4 hours fishing! I;m not sure about talking about them for years - i've got a feeling by the time the years up one of us will have a few more PB's to the list.

Most of the marks that we've developed has just been through pure prospecting - cruising through an area until you some find some reefy country and fishing it - and seeing whats on offer. With that big fish though, we ventured into water deeper than we normally fish and don't have many marks for and pulled up right next to a boat called ocean star - a popular charter operation in port. Should have seen the looks on the crew when that baby come aboard. :1fishing1::1fishing1:

Mako, your right - the big fish usually come on floated baits, not that i've done a whole lot of that fishing. We were both blown away at one, catching the fish and secondly - getting it on the method we did, no finesse at alll, definately a flukey capture.

We like to fish plastics in around 20-25metres of water and then in the deeper stuff it gets hard to do with the light gear so last trip was the first time we've ventured deeper and targetted them on bait in the area. We've had some discussions and next trip the pillies are coming aboard and were going to float some down a berley trail - the boys at the tackle shop reckon 10-15kg reds are not uncommon.

Hopefully if the seas are good ill be out there saturday and sunday doing it all again :biggrin2::biggrin2: - ahh i love living on the mid-north coast.

Wettingaline - where are you based now mate? When you come back up - i'd be more than happy to catch up for a fish.

Wettingaline - where are you based now mate? When you come back up - i'd be more than happy to catch up for a fish.

hey mate,

I moved to sydney from port about a year ago, my parents have a farm at port mac (pappinbarra) and i head back about once every 2 months to visit and get out of this s#$%hole. Ill send you a PM next time i come back and catch up for a fish :thumbup:

Hey Loomy,

Been holidaying at Pt for close to 25 yrs now. Will be there again as usual first 2 weeks of Jan. I fish there all the time when I'm up, but have just bought my first boat, so keen to target some of the outside water.

I have been out on ocean star a few times. Fishing has been good, but never seen any fish of that size come on board!! Captain John and Mad Mick would have been very p---ed off indeed.....

Good onya,

Bloo

Hey Loomy,

Been holidaying at Pt for close to 25 yrs now. Will be there again as usual first 2 weeks of Jan. I fish there all the time when I'm up, but have just bought my first boat, so keen to target some of the outside water.

I have been out on ocean star a few times. Fishing has been good, but never seen any fish of that size come on board!! Captain John and Mad Mick would have been very p---ed off indeed.....

Good onya,

Bloo

The funny thing is Bloo - we pulled up RIGHT BESIDE ocean star - and pulled that fish on the first cast - was an absolute hoot.

I'm glad to here you've been coming up here for a while now - what boat have you purchased?

I'm glad to here you've been coming up here for a while now - what boat have you purchased?

Anthony,

Nothing too flash - older 4.5m aluminium stacer with 40 hp on the back. Set up well, though - GPS & Raymarine fishfinder &radio . But certainly good enough to get me out there!!! Just need to learn the ropes a bit more.

Bloo