What Are Your Favourite Fish Recipes?

Martin

On the odd occasion I get to bring fish home I enjoy a good old fashion fish fry or BBQ and always with chips. For a whole fish one the odd time I will bake it.

I thought it would be interesting to hear from others and any influences and styles they have in cooking their fish

1. To fry the fish I will use rice flour with some salt and white pepper mixed through as well as some caster sugar. The fish is filleted, dipped in beaten egg then rolled in the flour mix and quickly deep fried.

2. To BBQ my favoured fish is tuna steaks, marlin or kingfish. Marinate for 10 to 15 minutes in lemon juice, sesame oil and a touch of Soya sauce. Sometimes I may sprinkle some bush spice. Cook on the open grill plate then transfer to the solid hot plate section to get a nice crust to the outside, being careful not to dry out the fish.

3. To bake fish I use a baking dish, place a layer of cabbage, a layer of onion, and some sliced tomato. Sit a whole fish on top and then a layer of scalloped potatoes. Fill the baking dish with water to a level just below the fish and then drizzle lots of olive oil over the potatoes allowing it to run into the water. Finally sprinkle some caraway seeds over the potatoes and pop into the oven for 45 minutes or until cooked on about 180 C

I would be interested to hear a few of your ideas on cooking fish

Cheers

Martin

One of my favourites would definately have to be beer battered flathead.......mmmmmmmm

1 3/4 cups self-raising flour

1 good pinch of salt

a generous amount of ground black pepper

1/2 tsp paprika

1 stubbie of your favourite beer.

100 ml water (approx)

about 1 litre vegetable oil

Flathead fillets

a little extra flour

wedges of lemon

Method:

Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the beer and water, and whisk together to make a smooth batter. You may need to add a little extra water to adjust the consistency.

Allow the batter to stand for 1 hour if possible (it will thicken a little).

Fill a saucepan, wok or deep fryer with about 1 litre vegetable oil to a depth of about 5 cm and heat to 160° C (or until a small piece of bread browns within 1 minute).

Dry fish with paper towel, to minimise spitting.

Coat fish lightly in flour and dip in batter. Drain excess onto rim of bowl before very carefully lowering into hot oil. Cook until golden brown, then remove from oil onto absorbent paper.

Serve with a nice green salad and lemon wedges.

Edited by wettingaline

One of my favourites would definately have to be beer battered flathead.......mmmmmmmm

1 3/4 cups self-raising flour

1 good pinch of salt

a generous amount of ground black pepper

1/2 tsp paprika

1 stubbie of your favourite beer.

100 ml water (approx)

about 1 litre vegetable oil

Flathead fillets

a little extra flour

wedges of lemon

Method:

Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the beer and water, and whisk together to make a smooth batter. You may need to add a little extra water to adjust the consistency.

Allow the batter to stand for 1 hour if possible (it will thicken a little).

Fill a saucepan, wok or deep fryer with about 1 litre vegetable oil to a depth of about 5 cm and heat to 160° C (or until a small piece of bread browns within 1 minute).

Dry fish with paper towel, to minimise spitting.

Coat fish lightly in flour and dip in batter. Drain excess onto rim of bowl before very carefully lowering into hot oil. Cook until golden brown, then remove from oil onto absorbent paper.

Serve with a nice green salad and lemon wedges.

With me being a Uni student I get plenty of time during the day to watch cooking shows. I reckon the best tip Ive got is when deep frying DO NOT put your food on paper towel, cause when the towel gets oily, the food sticks and batter goes soggy. You would have noticed in fish and chip shops that they have a wire basket to deep fry with, and once food is cooked they usually lift out the basket and let the oil drain off over the fryer. To sort of replicate this you need to put the fish (or chips or whatever) onto a cake cooling rack, which would be over paper towel (to absorb oil), thereby suspending your fish and keeping batter crispy!!!

Ant.

PS. I thought there was talk of a recipe section being created? Any more news on that front?

My favourite recipe is Baked Snapper. I clean and scale the whole fish , and stuff the cavity with some chopped onion , capsicum , garlic and coriander leaves . In a baking tray large enough to accomodate the fish , I pour a jar of Taco sauce , and add a little extra Cumin powder to beef up the flavour. Bake in a moderate oven for about 17-20 minutes , a little longer for a really large fish. I spoon some of the sauce over the top of the fish when it is cooked , and garnish with slices of fresh lime and a few sprigs of coriander. Dont cook it for too long , or it is like eating leather.

Ross

hey raiders. Anyone ever tried poached fish? It is a very easy way to cook your fillets (is best to use skinned and boned fillets) it gives the fish a great texture and is very tasty.

Method:

bring water to the boil (for best result use salt water from where the fish was caught)

add skinned and boned fillets to boiling water

cook for 30 seconds

drain water

add lemon,salt and pepper to taste

Enjoy

Guest madsmc

Looks like there's a bit of interest in this topic, so we'll pin it up, and see how many recipes are added.

On the odd occasion that I bring fish home I usually cook them very simply, either pan fried or baked in foil with a bit of lemon juice and butter.

Always keen to try new styles of cooking, so I'll be watching this thread with interest. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Seeing that there are so many leatheries about at the moment, try this method:

Enjoy.

Pete.

Leatherjacket and leeks

4 leatherjacket

1 cups white wine

1 cups water

2 medium onions, sliced

2 cloves

Salt and pepper to taste

teaspoon thyme

1 bay leaf

4 leeks, chopped

cup cream

Nutmeg to taste

Make a court bouillon by combining wine, water, onions, cloves, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and simmer 15 minutes. Add fish to this liquid and simmer 7 – 8 minutes. Remove leatherjacket carefully and set aside to keep warm. Boil court bouillon until it reduces to 1 cup. Remove bay leaf. Add leeks and simmer 6 – 7 minutes. Fold in cream and nutmeg and heat without boiling. Serve sauce over fish. Serves 4

Edited by MallacootaPete

Mediteranian BBQ Fish (whole),

Best BBQ type - Stainles Steel grill with heat beads!

Clean and scale fish and dry them with paper towel! add 1 Tsp of salt & Pepper in the cavity of each fish

Mixture

Dice garlic finely 3 cloves minimum

Chop up Parsely 1/2 cup

Olive oil 1 cups

2 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

Commence heating grill (5 min at least)

CRITICAL , when grill is hot (sizzel test with one drop of oil) place fish on grill

Within 20 seconds lift fish off grill (using spatula and tongs) and place fish in same position- now the fish will not stick.

Generally wait until the eyes of the fish turn white (3 min depending on thickness) and then turn over fish

When turned over, brush mixture onto fish

Cook the other side for half the time and take off grill and place mixture onto the second side while on serving plate.

Then Sqeeze fresh lemon over the lot.

This can be service with a boiled Spinich and potato salad adding the mixture as a dressing.

This can be done for any whole fish, although for large thick fish high heat at first then reduce heat so the fish does not burn.

This way of cooking does allow you to taste the different flavours of each fish.

The heat is critical as high heat allows the fish not to stick to the grill!!!! Once the fish is on 20 secs you can afford to turn doen the heat by 1/4. of original temp.

Enjoy :beersmile:

Real easy fish 'n' chips

Slice potatoes into wedges (8 even sized ones from each potato.) Skin can be left on if new, or peeled.

Stand them up (skin down) on a tray. Spray sliced surfaces lightly with canola spray. 200F for about 30 mins (turn tray around after 15-20 mins) Test the thickest one with a skewer to be sure they are all cooked.

Make your salad if you want a really healthy meal!

Have filleted & skinned & boned fillets ready (blackfish & flatties are excellent.) Put fine breadcrumbs in a plastic bag & add fillets. Shake well - move fillets about in the bag for an even coating. Crumbs will coat the fillets nicely (even if already dried with paper towells.)

Heat a small amount of olive oil (electric pan is good as it maintains the heat better) and about 5 mins before the chips are ready, pan fry the fillets.

Serve with lots of lemon juice. Even the kids will come back for more.

Cheers

Roberta

After catching a 10kilo Albacore last sunday on Gel Hunters' BILLFISHER, i have eaten fish all week, and not to get board with cooking all the same i tried a number of methods, as a result i prefered the following:

4 steaks of Albacore

1 jar of red curry paste

salt & Peper

Layout fish on a plate apply salt & pepper to both sides and spear copous amounts of red curry paste on both sides, cover and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to allow the flavour to soak in.

Over medium heat with a little olive oil in a ribed frypan fry the fish for 2 minutes each side.

Serve with side salad and :beersmile:

cornflake crumbed fillets

ingredients

firm fish fillets (trev's are great after the centre line has been removed)

cornflakes

flour

egg

milk

onion

garlic

lemon, basil & thyme seasoning

method

in a food processor crumb corflakes to prefered consistancy

(course crumbs dont combine as well with onion later but give a crunchier finish i prefer very fine crumbs)

combine crumbs with finely chopped onion , garlic and seasoning to make a slightly damp crumb mix

lightly coat fillets in flour, dip in lightly beaten egg with a little milk added

roll in crumb mix and press it firmly to ensure coverage.

the crumbed fish can now be cooked imediately shallow fried in very hot oil for 1 or 2 minutes till golden brown each side

or bagged and frozen for a quick and easy meal later

serve with a fresh garden salad and tatare sauce with a few cold beers

Guest danielinbyron

Looks like there's a bit of interest in this topic, so we'll pin it up, and see how many recipes are added.

On the odd occasion that I bring fish home I usually cook them very simply, either pan fried or baked in foil with a bit of lemon juice and butter.

Always keen to try new styles of cooking, so I'll be watching this thread with interest. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

i used to believe that if a fish coulodn't be cooked simply in butter bit was a neighbour fish....and i never cooked curry... that was until i did these two.

1.sweet patato and fish curry.

A.peel and chop sweet patatoe small enoughn to bake in twent or so minutes. PUT RICE ON..

B.use mae ploye red curry paste. a table spoon in some vege oil and heat until aromatic.

C.add fish sauce or salt

D.add coconut milk {not cream} two or three cans .TRY NOT TO EVER BOIL IT.

E. crush some kafar lime leaves 6 or so and whack em in.

F.CHOP SOME FISH INTO CHUNKS ..i like to use trevs or marlin but anything will do..toss it in with some green prawns and squid if you got em..add some green beans too..with fresh jew keep skin on

G.CHOP UP A BUNCH OF BASIL AND CORRIANDER.

H. when the spuds are cooked {shouldn't take much longer than the rice } add them to curry with herbs..,..

if this sounds like allot of work its not.. and it is infinately variable... the results are amazing

2.nummus

half a doz limes a bit of red curry paste or chilli if required sugar.. coconut milk.kafar lime leaves

clean and deskinned fish,,, with fish like jew or large snapper when i've done my best to fil them i use a table spoon to get the flesh from inside the jaw and off of the spine....i also have a crack at wings

simply add fish lime juice and other ingrdients to bowl keep in fridge over nite sealed... heat up and serve with rice,,

there is no need to cook as lime juice cooks fish over night..

once again this is infinately variable with adding your own herbs etc.. the only must is to allow the lime time to cook the fish... 18-24 hours and to heat it rather than recook it before serving..

TAILOR DU FLATTIEMAN

Ingredients:

Like all European recipes, approximate quantities of:

Tailor - fresh (one fish per person - bled, iced and cleaned) - preferably 40cm+

Tomato (about one per fish)

Lemon (about one per fish)

Red onion (about 1/4 per fish)

Corainder - fresh (as little or as much as you like)

Salt and Pepper (preferably sea salt and cracked pepper)

Olive Oil

Recipe:

1. Slice the tomato, lemon and onion into 1cm-thick slices. LEAVE 1/3 OF THE LEMON WHOLE - USED TO SEASON.

2. Roughly chop the coriander.

3. Place the fish (headless or with head still intact) on a piece of foil.

4. Layer the tomato, lemon and onion slices in the gut cavity.

5. Season with the remaining lemon from step 1, salt, pepper, coriander and generous amounts of oil (drizzled on the fish and also in gut cavity).

6. Wrap the tailor in aluminium foil.

7. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until cooked on about 180 C (varies from fish to fish, oven to oven) - normally a nice aroma will emanate :drool:.

8. Serve whole out of foil - diners simply pick the flesh from the bones.

9. ENJOY! :thumbup::yahoo:

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

simple recipe for people like me,

NON AUTHENTIC GREEN CURRY FISH (jew works well)

get the rice cooking,

heat sesame oil then add garlic and ginger

chuck bean sprouts +bok choy+carrot slices and whatever else into the mix with green curry and coconut milk/cream.

add pieces of boneless fillet onto the the hot surface. . . no more than a couple of cm thick

pile the veges onto the fish to steam the fish and cook it through

put the rice on the plate then add veges and fish.

simple, quick and a change from fish and chips.

if you like my simple cooking i will add a couple more.

Guest danielinbyron

After catching a 10kilo Albacore last sunday on Gel Hunters' BILLFISHER, i have eaten fish all week, and not to get board with cooking all the same i tried a number of methods, as a result i prefered the following:

4 steaks of Albacore

1 jar of red curry paste

salt & Peper

Layout fish on a plate apply salt & pepper to both sides and spear copous amounts of red curry paste on both sides, cover and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to allow the flavour to soak in.

Over medium heat with a little olive oil in a ribed frypan fry the fish for 2 minutes each side.

Serve with side salad and :beersmile:

what type of curry paste are you using ... have you tried "mae ploye".... its the biz... also have a crack at whacking a bit in with the oil until it gets aromatic before putting fish in...and crushing up kafar lime leaves with it...???

at two hours

is the chilli in the paste starting to cook the fish in the fridge yet.????

I follow the kiss principle :=

Cut fresh king , snapper or trav into thin slices.

pour soya into small dip bowl, add wasabi....mix with finger.

Dunk fish into dip bowl and eat.

I will also post a famous "italianfootballcheats" bonito dish which requires some work but's worth it...you won't waste this fish as bait ever again ...

Salute! :beersmile:

what a waste of a good fish :tease: . You know there is only one way to eat these mate :074:

Guest danielinbyron

Seeing that there are so many leatheries about at the moment, try this method:

Enjoy.

Pete.

Leatherjacket and leeks

4 leatherjacket

1 cups white wine

1 cups water

2 medium onions, sliced

2 cloves

Salt and pepper to taste

teaspoon thyme

1 bay leaf

4 leeks, chopped

cup cream

Nutmeg to taste

Make a court bouillon by combining wine, water, onions, cloves, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and simmer 15 minutes. Add fish to this liquid and simmer 7 – 8 minutes. Remove leatherjacket carefully and set aside to keep warm. Boil court bouillon until it reduces to 1 cup. Remove bay leaf. Add leeks and simmer 6 – 7 minutes. Fold in cream and nutmeg and heat without boiling. Serve sauce over fish. Serves 4

I follow the kiss principle :=

Cut fresh king , snapper or trav into thin slices.

pour soya into small dip bowl, add wasabi....mix with finger.

Dunk fish into dip bowl and eat.

I will also post a famous "italianfootballcheats" bonito dish which requires some work but's worth it...you won't waste this fish as bait ever again ...

Salute! :beersmile:

Righto, Haraka, you've got me interested. What's this recipe you're talking about. Personally, me and the family quite like Bonito, especially the wife. She loves all the strongly flavoured fish which is quite strange for a Pom.

Guest johblow

Shallow fried super-fresh flatties!

Catch a couple of medium sized (smaller the better, but must be fillet-able and legal!!!) flatties in the morning and fillet them when you get home at about lunch time. Cut the fillets into a bit larger than bite sized pieces, all roughly the same size, then dust them in the following:

- freshly ground (in one of those granite things - motar and pestal???) sea salt and black pepper to taste

- potato starch

Mix the two about things together to evently. Chuck the chuncks into it and flick them around until all dusted.

Now, this last bit goes really quickly!!!

Throw them into the 0.5cm of oil that you have pre-heated while doing the above stuff. Let them settle for a 10 seconds, say. (dont over-crowd the pan)

Then flip them over and do the other side, then toss them around a bit. Total cooking time is less than a minute i think. As soon as you cant see any more obvious raw flesh, get the buggers out of there and onto a plate perhaps with something to absorb excess oil.

The important thing to note is that the fish keep cooking after they are removed from the oil. So i take them out of the pan when i think that they are almost ready to eat. This way they are BLOODY FANTASTIC!!!!

I recon the fresher the better here. Apparently freshly frozen is good too, but i aint tried it. This doesnt work for flatties froma shop. Must be caught by YOU :-) :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

:biggrin2: I have a few favorites, from Deep frying Garfish - so even the bones are crunchy. To Wrapping a whole snapper in foil on the bbq with garlic, basil pinch of salt + pepper and fresh chilly. When cooked, lemon to taste. but normally chilly or lemon. As the lemon can take out the chilly heat.

Thats good eating!!

• 4 weeks later...

This works well with Mahi Mahi, Mackeral, kingies, jewies and pretty well any thing you can steak (cutlet). Cut in to 3/4" cutlets (about18mm) Sear each side of the fish on a hot pan until golden. Throw in about 4 cherrie tomatoes per cutlet (cut in half) and half a lime per cutlet cut in to 1/8ths some coarse milled black pepper and a spanish onion cut razor thin and leave with a lid on until onions and cherrie tomatoes are super soft and fish is cooked. Serve woth a greek salad. Awesome!!!

GT

Good topic.

I love my smoked fish.

Simply:

1. Rub salt and brown sugar onto both sides of the fillets to cook.

2. Place fillets in smoker for about 30 mins

3. Eat warm or cold as preferred

Tips:

-Tailor seems to be the best fish to smoke by far, aim for fish that have oilier flesh.

-I think hickory is the best sawdust to use. You can use most though (Stringy Bark is also ok)

-Eat with small peices of baquette style bread, with a bit of philli spread, capers and a small bit of fresh dill - great for entertaining.

Cheers

Pitty

• 3 weeks later...

Chilli, Paprika and garlic prawns (Gambas)

1kg uncooked green prawns, shelled with tail intact.

Juice of 1 lemon

1 whole garlic head

1 tablespoon of Sambal Olek (hot crushed chilli paste) or to taste

3 teaspoons hot or sweet paprika

50ml extra virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

1 - 2 teaspoons seasoning sauce (soy sauce can be used as well)

Marinate prawns in lemon juice for 20 minutes, then drain all juice from prawns.

Sprinkle Paprika, Salt and Pepper over the prawns and mix so all prawns are coated red.

Stand whilst preparing other ingredients.

Chop garlic (whole head - many cloves)

Heat oil in wok or pan

Add garlic and fry until golden brown

Add prawns and cook quickly in hot oil

Add Sambal Olek

Stir Prawns until cooked 3 - 5 minutes

Just before removing from wok, add seasoning sauce.

Stir in seasoning sauce, this should mix with the garlic and oil to form a thick sauce.

Remove from pan and serve with steamed rice.

Serves 4.

Garlic and Chilli Prawns (Gambas)

1kg uncooked green prawns, shelled with tail intact.

Juice of 1 lemon

1 whole garlic head

1 tablespoon of Sambal Olek (hot crushed chilli paste) or to taste

3 teaspoons hot or sweet paprika

50ml extra virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

1 - 2 teaspoons seasoning sauce (soy sauce can be used as well)

Marinate prawns in lemon juice for 20 minutes, then drain all juice from prawns.

Sprinkle Paprika, Salt and Pepper over the prawns and mix so all prawns are coated red.

Stand whilst preparing other ingredients.

Chop garlic (whole head - many cloves)

Heat oil in wok or pan

Add garlic and fry until golden brown

Add prawns and cook quickly in hot oil

Add Sambal Olek

Stir Prawns until cooked 3 - 5 minutes

Just before removing from wok, add seasoning sauce.

Stir in seasoning sauce, this should mix with the garlic and oil to form a thick sauce.

Remove from pan and serve with steamed rice.