San Fransico

Hey going to San Francisco for work for 2 years. Any ideas on where to fish and how to fish. I am mostly a fly fisherman, but happy to go bait or rubber.

throw on a rainbow t-shirt and go fishing for some man love

I havent fished in San Francisco , but I did fish in some of the lakes in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. There are many lakes there , and are annually restocked with trout. I would think it would be about a 4-5 hour drive from the coast. Here is a link to a Californian Fishing site , it has maps , fishing reports , restocking timetableetc.

Sierra Nevada Fishing

Here is something a little closer to San Francisco SanFrancisco Fishing

Finally , a San Francisco Bay Fishing Report page : San Francisco Bay

Ross

Guest danielinbyron

Hey going to San Francisco for work for 2 years. Any ideas on where to fish and how to fish. I am mostly a fly fisherman, but happy to go bait or rubber.

i was reading much to my surprise that there is great game fishing opportunities out of san fran bay.... i think i watched a kayak fishing video that was set there as well.... good luck man..

No sh1T I'm also moving to SF for 2 years and will be taking some fishing gear (can't fit it all in the luggage). Would be good to know another aussie fisho over there. Do you know where you'll be based?

Will PM you.

Cheers

Bung

• 3 weeks later...

I was there on business about 3 weeks ago. Had an arvo off so found my way down to the breakwall (past the famous Fisherman's Wharf district towards the bridge). Started chatting to a 3 guys with crab nets and was soon asked to share their beers :beersmile: Ended up hanging around for about 3 hours. You can always find good company with fishos on a wharf anywhere in the world I recon!

Anyway, they were supposed to go out on a charter but the boat was full and didnt have a booking. They said there is excellent salmon fishing off-shore, as well as cod, flounder etc. The water there is way-cold and great whites breed along this coast. I think the fising in the Bay is also pretty good but different species to ours.

Sounds like the fishing is pretty good so take all the fishing gear you can and dont forget to send us photos!

(I spent 4 years living in Japan and the fishing was crap unless you went out on a charter. :thumbdown: Should have seen the mutated mullet in a marina. I wouldn't eat any fish that hadn't been living in another country and were just visiting!)