"spotted" At Port Kembla 16/8/06

Lewis

G,day Raiders.

Finally got out early for a welcome change yesterday morning, conditions were great but had a strong wind warning hanging over our heads with strong north easterlies to whip up to 20+ knots later in the day. :05:

Headed out from Port Harbour at 5.30am headed straight out to pig Island and set the boat up to drift the drop off on the north east point of Pig Island. I had put out a floating pilchard on my 8kg stick loaded with 14lb braid and then set alightly weighted pillie on my 15kg stick with 30lb braid, then started to slowly berley up with some cubes of bonito I had prepared earlier. Got a few touches with no result then after baiting up for the second time on the 15kg stick the 8kg stick went off, line ripping off like there was no tomorrow, set the hook and that was as close as I came to ending the run, what ever it was headed south straight for the bottom and I was left lementing on what it could have been and half the line on my reel that I had started out the day with. :1prop::1prop:

Not long after that my other rod went off and after a short fight I landed a smallish Bonito around 50cm and then a few more after that all were let go as I have plenty of Bonnies at home for bait. I picked up a nice flattie of around 60cm at the end of ane of my drifts which suggests that the reef had met a sandy bottom so I quickley marked the area on the GPS for future reference. Around 9.30 am the predicted nth easterlies had started to get up and made it a little uncomfortable so I set up my rods to troll home as I usually do as you never know what you might pick up. Setting up three rods with a pink a white and a green 100ml skirt, I headed around Pig Island to loop back towards Toothbrush Island to foolow the reef between the two Islands, I picked up a couple of more Bonnies, but to my surprise just ouside the ahrbour on the northern breakwall my green skirt gets nailed and after a short but spirited fight I boated this Spotted Mackerel that my son is holding, it only went 46cm but I have never seen or heard of them being cought down this way so I had to bring it home to show the lad. :thumbup::thumbup:

I had a pretty good day but did notice some very nice snapper back at the ramp, one in particular that would have gone 60+ cm, in which the captors were very reluctant to say where the were caught. :(:(:(

post-1163-1155771267_thumb.jpg

Great report lewis.

It's a shame you lost the one on the 8kg line.

They do get quite afew spotties around sydney

during summer and even as far down as Jervis

Bay,but they are not very common during winter.

Well done.

Hi Lewis, a few years back roughly 5, I was at port kembla ramp and there was an asian chap, so I figured go talk to him see if anything is around cause he fished the night. He shows me four spotted mackerel and asked me what type of fish they are. I knew what they were and told him, but at first I did not beleive him when he told me he caught them of the breakwall, well I figured it's dolphin fish time so anything is possible so I launched that boat as fast as I could and trolled a couple of hours to no avail.

To catch one at this time of the year is mind boggling!!!!! anyhow great to see the fish are around hopefully either this sat or perhaps the next I'll be out there.

cheers

sounds like its still firing down there mate ill be hitting it on saturday with a few boys so hopefully we do as well as you did + some kings after last weeks unfortunate mishap of pulling hooks.

cheers and maybe see you out there mate,

G,day guys.

I will probably have to wait till Sunday to go out again, :05: or maybe Saturday afternoon, depends on whether the missus is working this weekend and what shift. :wife::wife::wife: By the way if any of you guys find you have nothing to do on a Wednesday and feel a midweek trip is in order please give me a PM it would be great to catch up with some fellow raiders, :1fishing1: cheers.

G,day Kings.

Yes there is not many Wednesdays that I miss, weather permitting, :1badmood: as the little ladie has her art day on Wednesdays and it would be unfair that I should have to stay home by myself, you no how it is. I would sure appreciate the company. :1welcomeani::1fishing1:

G,day Ben.

Hey pal, what does the little missus think of you out chasing all those women? :wife: keep that up and you will have more than a mortgage on your hands. :biggrin2::1prop::1yikes::wife::05:

As for the fishing, have been getting a few, but cant wait for the warmer weather and longer days! :1fishing1::yahoo:

Edited by Lewis

Nice one Lew. When me and a mate were out prob 3 weeks ago we (he, actually!) caught a couple of these on the troll past South Head. First one was a little'un about 40 or so, but he had a slightly bigger brother that went 60 to the fork. Not much fight, but kicked a bit when he saw our ugly mugs!

post-20-1155868380_thumb.jpg

So they are around.....

Nice one Lew. When me and a mate were out prob 3 weeks ago we (he, actually!) caught a couple of these on the troll past South Head. First one was a little'un about 40 or so, but he had a slightly bigger brother that went 60 to the fork. Not much fight, but kicked a bit when he saw our ugly mugs!

post-20-1155868380_thumb.jpg

So they are around.....

G,day HHH.

Nice lkooking fish arnt they, a good set of choppers on them as well, would'nt want to get the fingers to close.

Hey the conditions in the back-ground of your photo look OK! I shall have to get up that way one day.

G,day HHH.

Nice lkooking fish arnt they, a good set of choppers on them as well, would'nt want to get the fingers to close.

Hey the conditions in the back-ground of your photo look OK! I shall have to get up that way one day.

The harbour is only a short spurt up from the Port - flat seas and a full tank and you can get here easy!

Forecast is looking good this weekend, so hopefully something to report next week.... gotta love the weekends :yahoo: tight lines all