? Best Fish Finder For Not So Deep Water

talimba

I know the subject of Depth sounders /ish finders comes up every now and then, but would appreciate

suggestions as to which may suit my needs best.

I fish mainly in the bays.... from .5 mtr banks to about 35 mtr reef. Not likely to go deeper than 45 mtr.

Budget about $400 or so. Need speed and temp.

Have a X65 now but looking to update with something that will give the best definition in my working depths.

Pix rate is top of my list but most sounders advertise features for depth which I dont need, more definition.

Appreciate suggestions.

Stan

You looking for colour or Mono

Not worried on colour or mono. Looking for

best separation and definition in bay/inshore reef.

I haven't used colour so don't know how the new lower priced

units compare to better monos.

Appreciate expierence/ suggestions.

I currently use a Garmin Hand held GPS in conjunction with my x65 sounder.

Speed and distance on sounder saves using two devices if I am not looking for a particular spot.

Thanks Stan

Edited by talimba

• 2 weeks later...

Not worried on colour or mono. Looking for

best separation and definition in bay/inshore reef.

I haven't used colour so don't know how the new lower priced

units compare to better monos.

Appreciate expierence/ suggestions.

I currently use a Garmin Hand held GPS in conjunction with my x65 sounder.

Speed and distance on sounder saves using two devices if I am not looking for a particular spot.

Thanks Stan

Hi Stan, have a look at the Eagle Cuda 250. It is an entry level gps/sounder combo with inbuilt mapping (lacking a little definition on the mapping side) and retails for around $530.00. Ive had mine for about 6 months now and cant fault it. I previously had a $400.00 navman sounder and there is no comparison between the two the eagle wins hands down. Have been out on lake macquarie and the unit will follow a single chook pellet to the 30 foot bottom. Which is ironically more about pixel size not resolution. For the dollars they are excellent. the only drawback I can find is that they do not interface with a pc however I bought a spare power cable so I can program away from the boat. Many people I have out in the boat have been blown away by the unit. Im not saying its the best available but its well worth a look

Ill get a couple of screen shots over the weekend and post them.

Cheers

Geoff Taylor

Edited by squizzytaylor

Hi Stan, have a look at the Eagle Cuda 250. It is an entry level gps/sounder combo with inbuilt mapping (lacking a little definition on the mapping side) and retails for around $530.00. Ive had mine for about 6 months now and cant fault it. I previously had a $400.00 navman sounder and there is no comparison between the two the eagle wins hands down. Have been out on lake macquarie and the unit will follow a single chook pellet to the 30 foot bottom. Which is ironically more about pixel size not resolution. For the dollars they are excellent. the only drawback I can find is that they do not interface with a pc however I bought a spare power cable so I can program away from the boat. Many people I have out in the boat have been blown away by the unit. Im not saying its the best available but its well worth a look

Ill get a couple of screen shots over the weekend and post them.

Cheers

Geoff Taylor

Many thanks Geoff, I'll see if I can find one local to look at.

Stan