Stingrays

inhlanzi

Mate you just described exactly the pain i went through!

I got stung in the foot as well, i felt a tap and looked down and there was a gush of blood out the side of my leg. I put it in the water and it went murkey with all the blood and little fish came out and had a go at the blood so i took my leg out quick. so far so good i though as there wasn't much pain, then i started feeling a bit wheezy and i wasn't able to stand as i felt like i would faint. Then the pain started!

The pain is kinda like when you get a spasm and cramp in your leg and it really really hurts like it's tearing muscle. Well imagine that over your hole body!

I called the hospital and they said hot water and it was working, only problem was i was away from home and still at the ramp and my sister couldn't drive, we had to wait for one of her friends to pick us up and they took 4hrs to find the spot! not good!

We then went to the medical centre and the doctor on duty had no idea what a stingray was, she said put some antiseptic on it and that is it. I had to demand to get a tetanus injection as she thought t was a little cut!

Yeah a little cut about 4cm into my foot!

Anyway i still have the scar and i'll show it to anybody that asks and i tell you know guys be carefull. I used to be very blazay about about rays, now i sh*t myself when i see em and cut em off with my heart pounding like crazy. Guys be carefull around em they can hurt like hell!

• 3 months later...

Someone mentioned the hot water treatment being effective on all stings perhaps...would this be anything from Bee and definately blue bottle stings?

I remember being stung by a blue bottle bout 7 years ago and it got all over my back. I came out of the water screaming. Was having a swim with some friends and they screamed out blue bottle, so I went to swim back up to the beach and I got stung really really badly. The pain was excruciating.

i have been stung by blue bottles...they dont affect me...dont no why..

but funny thing is a bee will drop me???

i have even been to the extent of trolling lures and they have been wrapped with blue bottle arms and no problem

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

When I was a kid we lived on the Georges River at Illawong and regularly caught smaller rays. We were quite oblivious to the barb having any venom. In fact we used to whack the flaps off them, batter them up and deep fry them. Very Yummy.

Later in life though, I was with a party camping in the mangroves and far away from medical treatment when one of the guys got a similar puncture as been described. This guy seemed non-complexed and told us to start up his 4x4. I assumed we were going to head off to the nearest town, some 120 miles away, when he got out his tool kit, shut down the engine on the 4x4, and proceeded to remove the radiator hose. He collected the hot radiator water in a bucket and put his foot in the water and was cured immediately. The main point is that he never panicked, and used his bush and survival skills to quell a quite disturbing moment for the rest of us.

Maybe the radiator trick might help someone else if in a similar remote location.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got myself jabbed by one last year fishing off the beach.

Hurt like all hell... he was only small too

Wrapped it up in a soft rag and kept fishing- nailed a real nice Sambo and a Trev after that, so made the pain worthwhile.

Cheers

Anthony

• 2 months later...

I was staying at my friends place in the Coromandel across the ditch.

I picked up this huge , serrated bony spike that was in the trophy room and enquired what it was as my friend was a pro fisherman. He replied that it was a barb from a 200kg stingray which did the Steve Irwin on him and pumped him through the guts. He only just lived.

He said it was the most painfull thing that has happened to him including being crushed by a cow, testicular cancer and the bends.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That hot water trick also works if you get stung by a bullroaut "spelling"??? or also known as happpy moments. I was stung down at wingdang while prawning years ago & the hot water worked a treat :thumbup:

Got stung prawning last year on New Years by a bullrout,man worst pain ive been in.Told the girlfriend dont get those fish in the net,they are poisonous,ok she replies.10min later can u empty the prawns for me,im like ok ,so grabed the bottom of the net to flip it inside out and empty the prawns in the bucket,and bam!!Painfull ,didnt know what to do so leaned over the side of the boat and had my arm in the water,everytime i took it out the pain was unbearable,had 2 panadols in the boat and took them,pain started to go away slowly after a couple of hours,wont forget the fireworks i had that night

• 8 months later...

why did they put both your feet in hot water?

I know this is an old post, but the reason you put the good foot in first is to make sure the water isnt too hot as you wont be able to feel if the water is scalding you on the damaged foot.

• 1 year later...

Got one in my neck earlier this year while out in my boat on the hacking it jumped out when I was going along and lucky enough missed all the main bits by millimeters and punctured my muscle luckily no barb was left

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Very informnative post and have made a mental note about the hot water :sun: Prevention is better than cure though. We had a few weeks over in western Australia back in 2012,we were staying at Abbey Beach south of Perth. When fishing and wading off the beach I seen loads of stingrays. They were everywhere and I was very careful where I was walking. I would say some were as big as 25lbs.

I did catch a stingray at Noosa Heads up the river there.

John

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hot water really works, but as a previous poster said not too hot, people have been known to do more damage with hot water than the venom - hence using the other foot. Piss also works, to a lesser extent at denaturing the protein, if you haven't got hot water and the wound isn't to deep to get the piss in. Having been hit by happy moments and nicked by cobbler a few times in my job I can vouch for it. Just don't sit on one or your mate will have to piss on you.

• 2 years later...

As mentioned by other I also have pulled and released numerous rays over the years, nearly stepped on them wadding the shallows. The only time I was caught out and injured was releasing a tiny sand ray. I unhooked him on the sand and had firmly grasped both the nose and around the butt of the tail, and in place of gently releasing I attempted to throw the ray the last 2m back into the water. Bad decision.......... as the ray was released -airborne the tail and barb dragged across my fingers. Within minutes the pain grew and the blood began to flow and checking the cuts they were almost surgical, deep and straight with 2 almost 5mm deep.

i learnt the hard way that it ain’t just the pointy end on a rays barb but also the razor sharp side profile, especially on the little fellas!