Narrabeen Lake

FletcherG1991

can i please have some good spots for narrabeen lakes fishing land based..... i have read that articale about it and think it is very good but am looing for more info about the lake.....i will be using HB and SP if this is any help

cheers,

Fletcher

At the moment the lake is closed. It was getting some salt in briefly when the seas first came up with this windy weather, but now the sand appears to have piled up at the entrance.

When the lake is open, my favourite spot is down near the caravan park using SPs on the sand flats and near the dropoff to the main channel. Plenty of flatties.

Another good spot when the weather warms up is in the channel between the mainland and the island at the end of Wimbledon Ave. I've had some nice bream on baits down there, but never done particularly well on lures. In this weather any spot out of the wind is a good spot.

Good Luck, let us know how you go.

Cheers,

neil

i wasn't really planing on wading as i dont have a pair of waders and dont really wanna go in the cold water :) ..... are there plenty of fish in there or not so many..... ill be happy if i can take something home for a feed (or get something big and release it ) any more info that will help me get a fish there..... thanks heaps guys

i wasn't really planing on wading as i dont have a pair of waders and dont really wanna go in the cold water :) ..... are there plenty of fish in there or not so many..... ill be happy if i can take something home for a feed (or get something big and release it ) any more info that will help me get a fish there..... thanks heaps guys

Fletcher...as I posted a couple of days ago.(perhaps you missed it) .try the end of Robertson St for some breambos and the odd flattie or two.

That spot always seems to hold them...try burlying first to get 'em on the go.

It's land based so no wading needed there.Also the earlier post about Wimbledon Ave is good advice.

If you want to try bait if the plastics fail...there's a bait shop right opposite Robertson St on Pittwater Rd

and you can buy just enough for a session without having to take the rest home and stink the house up.

Good luck where ever you choose.

Pete.

i did read you post pete i just wanted info from other people aswell..... luckly i picked up some gulp 6" sandworms the other day (even old bait smells better than them but whatever works :biggrin2: )..... should i cut them in half or use them whole ? is it possibale to walk from one spot to another as i know the lake is fairly large and mum just drops me off and goes..... are there any species that arn't commonly found in inshore waters that are in here eg decent snapper and stuff and are there any squid about in there ? i think that is all i got to ask for the moment..... sorry about all the question but i like the looks of this place as a decent LB spot and would like to get something good to take home for a feed or release if its a big bream or lattie or whatever

cheers guys :biggrin2:

I don't know about snapper but bream and flatties are there in abundance.

With the sandworms, cut them in half (mottyman style) and pop them onto a small jighead.

Another method that is good is use a whole worm and do up a two hook rig with size six hooks so that one hook goes in the top and another towards the tail. This is more labour intensive but flicked unweighted over the flats it's an absolute killer!

i did read you post pete i just wanted info from other people aswell..... luckly i picked up some gulp 6" sandworms the other day (even old bait smells better than them but whatever works :biggrin2: )..... should i cut them in half or use them whole ? is it possibale to walk from one spot to another as i know the lake is fairly large and mum just drops me off and goes..... are there any species that arn't commonly found in inshore waters that are in here eg decent snapper and stuff and are there any squid about in there ? i think that is all i got to ask for the moment..... sorry about all the question but i like the looks of this place as a decent LB spot and would like to get something good to take home for a feed or release if its a big bream or lattie or whatever

cheers guys :biggrin2:

Never seen any squid in the lake but the usual suspects are there like bream, flatties, whiting (usually summer) flounder, tailor and lots of mullet.

The odd jewie in there but you'll probably need a boat for those.

It's easy to walk around the lake as it has a nice footpath around the eastern shoreline.

You can pick just about any spot for a flick and move on if it's not productive.

It's a nice place just to stroll around but watch for the ever present ducks and pelicans as they will pester you

especially if you have bait. The pelicans will dog you and try and snatch your catch when you reel 'em in so be careful...they are fast.

You can cut the plastics in half if you wish..depends on what is biting at the time and tailor you baits to that species. You should get a feed if you spend a couple of hours at different spots

Good fishing,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

I don't know about snapper but bream and flatties are there in abundance.

With the sandworms, cut them in half (mottyman style) and pop them onto a small jighead.

Another method that is good is use a whole worm and do up a two hook rig with size six hooks so that one hook goes in the top and another towards the tail. This is more labour intensive but flicked unweighted over the flats it's an absolute killer!

mottyman whats your style for cutting them in half ?

how'd you go fletcher?

didn't head down..... will get out there mid week..... did get down to bobin head (where our boat is at) and got a legal bream (nothing special and was released :thumbup: ) so was pleased with that for 1hr's fish

cause the fish get spooked really easy and seeming the water was murky i got out an sx40 and made it rattle heaps..... seemed to work :biggrin2:

Hi Fletcherg1991

I fished the shoreline near Ocean street bridge with a few of my mates from about 10-3.00pm. Between the 3 of us we landed 5 Mullet, 4 on bread and one which my mate caught on fly and a 30cm Whiting. If your heading down there anytime soon i'd love catch up and have a fish.Mitchell

• 1 month later...

Hey fletcher

I grew up on narrabeen lake so I believe i am somewhat of an authority on the place. i haven't fished it for about 5 years but the spots would not have changed. i now live on the Central coast so I dont fish it so I am more than happy to divulge a few of my old spots which surprisingly not many people fish.

I am assuming you are throwing around a few soft plastics and hard bodied lures at flathead etc. if you want to catch other stuff or know more spots i will happily give you more info. I will give you for now four of my old favorite spots, as well as alittle local knowledge.

at the moment I believe the lake is closed so without any tidal movement at all it doesn't fish well. also the closure has meant that there is a fair bit of weed in the lake which makes it hard to fish. also the bigger flathead are caught in the lake around Feb Mar. this time of year you will get heaps of smaller males.

Nevertheless, here we go.

1) halfway between narrabeen and the sport and rec camp is a large rock with a commemorative plaque

on the right hand side. You cannot miss it!! You can park your car here and it will be safe. Wade out as far as you can ( it is shallow for miles out) and cast back towards the seagrass. Don't be put off by the shallow water. I have caught huge flathead in less than 12 inches of water only metres from my feet. Shuffle slowly through the water as you never know if the fish are at your feet. The wind can be used to your advantge as you can cast in any direction. Have a few casts in a fan like pattern and move about 10 yards. Soft plastics worked well 6 years ago and these styles of lures are more sophisticated. I always found minnow styles that resemble poddy mullet to work well here. This is a good place for flathead bream log toms(if you are into them) and the rare Jew. There are no snags here and you will not lose a lure

2) At the Pittwater Road Bridge: On the upstream side to the right is a small sand spit. wade out onto this spit and cast along the edge of the channel. work it for an hour or so and move on. You should pick up a flattie or two. there is always one there, its such a great ambush spot. It doesn't fish well however on a fast running tide. Its also worth throwing a few under the bridge (careful of snags) because i have seen bass pulled out from under there.

3) On the southern side of the lake there is a park called jameson park (its on the street directory). when you get to the carpark walk upstream and you will find acres of shallow water. Same thing walk out and fish back towards the shore. I caught more bream here than anything else.

4)This was a bit of a secret and if its bass you like then this is the spot. Middle creek is further down wakehurst Parkway nearr the sport and rec camp. about 200 m past the bridge is a small area for model boats. Start here but move upstreram way up into the shallows. Go so far to where you wouldn't even think fish could live. My first bass was caught here in a pond smaller than my bathtub (no shit). Fish the snags and the small ponds late in the day. Don,t worry about the occasional red bellied black snake they won't bother you. you will probably lose a few lures here till you get to know the place so don't get out your best rapalas or anything. This place should start to fire about this time if year.

So Good luck fletcher and make sure to let us know how you did.

Heaps of work being done on the lake recently - they've closed the mouth and they're scooping out loads of sand and apparently going to deepen the lakes by a metre or so over what I understand to be a large part of it.

The final result sounds promising as I think they're trying to get it fully tidal again (yay!) but not sure of the interim.

Interesting about the bass - never heard of bass being caught in the lake - but have heard of plenty of EPs being pulled out of that very spot (not to mention deep creek and middle creek).

Cheers,

Neil

went fishing there last year and caught massive tailor nd flathead nex to he park where the playground is ws wondering will u catch trevally there nd also will u catch them on sp's and wat kind of sp's

Sounds like Mullet Creek. Some nice flatties pulled out of there. A mate also caught a Juvenile Red Gurnard! We didn't know what it was, we were too freaked to touch it!

Never seen a trev pulled out of there. Plenty of bream and flathead. My mates used lightly weighted worms and prawns.

I've had sucess with darker coloured grubs (Atomic 2" Brown Crawdad) on light jigs (around 1/22oz). For flatties use the rip and drop retrieve.