Browns Mountain And Shelf

Baybuster

Hey guys have been checkn out the sight for a while and have now joined. Wanting to know about Browns mountain and the shelf. How far of the coast how long does it take to get there. I have gone from a 14ft tinnie to a 14ft half cb with a 70. Now own an 18ft Steber with an old 150 Merc. I am looking at a 2000 130hp Yamaha.

Over the last couple of years have been getting some experience doing plenty of fishing :1fishing1: in and around Broken Bay. Have gotten out off the coast but have not ventured to far as I dont trust the old Merc and havnt organised an auxillary motor yet. Will have it all sorted soon and want to get out amongst it. Also places like Boultons East and West reef if anyone can enlighten me on how far and long it takes to get there etc.

Regards Cameron

Welcome to the site, champ, but to answer your questions, I wouldn't even contemplate going to Brown's in anything smaller than a 21 footer at least, and that would have to be in company with another vessel for safety reasons. I believe it's about 40 klms offshore.

HI Mate,

Browns is the following distances

38kms from Botany Heads

Around 45kms fron Sydney Heads

Around 55+kms from Broken Bay

The Shelf is the following

27kms from Botany Heads

around 32kms from Sydney Heads

Around 38+ from Broken Bay (never been there from Here so this is an estimate based on maps)

We go on a regurlar basis to browns in a 5.75 metre and it takes us at a good speed around 50 minutes to get to the Shelf from Botany and an additional 20 minutes or so to get to browns

Please be aware that if the weather turns bad whilst at browns the trip home can take you 4 times longer then the trip there.

We only venture out there on really good days and then we always listen to the weather reports on the VHF and have all the safety gear. Make sure you have an Epirb as it is a must for any type of offshore fishing as you will lose mobile reception between the 15 to 20km mark unless you have a CDMA/Satalite mobile phone.

Edited by netic

Good advice Netic.

I also head out to Browns in a 5.7m Quintrex half cabin.

Ensure you have all the safety gear and reliable and well maintained motor.

VHF is a must if you want to keep in contact with land (apart from a satellite phone) whilst out there

Good advice Netic.

I also head out to Browns in a 5.7m Quintrex half cabin.

Ensure you have all the safety gear and reliable and well maintained motor.

VHF is a must if you want to keep in contact with land (apart from a satellite phone) whilst out there

Much appreciated I have not ventured as yet cause I dont have all that is required to be safe. Will have it sorted soon. Places like broken bay wide how far and have any of you guys been out to boultons or similiar?

Regards Cameron

Much appreciated I have not ventured as yet cause I dont have all that is required to be safe. Will have it sorted soon. Places like broken bay wide how far and have any of you guys been out to boultons or similiar?

Regards Cameron

Mate never heard of it, I dont do any fishing out of Broken Bay so dont know any offshore spots there.

If you are still to venture out for the first time i suggest you plan a couple of trips in closer, maybe within a few kms of the heads before you think about going wide.

Learn how to handle your boat in offshore conditions as it is quite different to the estuary or just around the heads.

I myself have been caught out in some horrific conditions because i ventured out when i shouldn't have.

You gotta be really careful when offshore and always remember to log in with the coastguard before leaving.

You can also organise a deckie through fishraider who may have experience in offshore fishing.

Just always remember you life is more important then catching fish.

Edited by netic

baybuster, broken bay wide is about 10NM from barrenjoey head from memory. Boultons is not too far at all, certainly doable in an 18ft steber. On the subject of the steber, what model is it? we had a Steber 530f for a while, not a bad fishing boat.

HI Mate,

Browns is the following distances

38kms from Botany Heads

Around 45kms fron Sydney Heads

Around 55+kms from Broken Bay

The Shelf is the following

27kms from Botany Heads

around 32kms from Sydney Heads

Around 38+ from Broken Bay (never been there from Here so this is an estimate based on maps)

We go on a regurlar basis to browns in a 5.75 metre and it takes us at a good speed around 50 minutes to get to the Shelf from Botany and an additional 20 minutes or so to get to browns

Please be aware that if the weather turns bad whilst at browns the trip home can take you 4 times longer then the trip there.

We only venture out there on really good days and then we always listen to the weather reports on the VHF and have all the safety gear. Make sure you have an Epirb as it is a must for any type of offshore fishing as you will lose mobile reception between the 15 to 20km mark unless you have a CDMA/Satalite mobile phone.

Netic,

I am hoping to get out there for my first trip on Wednesday, if the weather is OK, what ramp do you launch from to leave via Botany Bay?? I have done all my fishing out of Broken Bay and because of distance dont wont to leave from there. Also have had many different GPS co ordinates re Browns Mountain, to be on the safe side can I grab them off you also. Thanks mate. We must try and dble up for a fish :1fishing1: out wide with my boat and Suli's some day. :thumbup:

AO7474

Hey mate, we use Kyeemagh ramp, i also have heard of cars getting damged at the other one. mutch ave ramp is probably the best and safest.

We will have to go for a buddy up trip soon, we are planning to head out on Sunday.

Be careful on weekdays as you may be one of only a few boats out there and if you hit trouble you will not be in close proximity to many boats. Where as on the weekend you will be within 5 minutes of well over 50 boats.

The good thing about going out on a weekday is the fact that you have a much better chance of getting on to fins, only your cube trial working and not 50 others.

Good luck

The co-ordinates i use are as follows

34.02.200S 151.39.500E

AO7474

Hey mate, we use Kyeemagh ramp, i also have heard of cars getting damged at the other one. mutch ave ramp is probably the best and safest.

We will have to go for a buddy up trip soon, we are planning to head out on Sunday.

Be careful on weekdays as you may be one of only a few boats out there and if you hit trouble you will not be in close proximity to many boats. Where as on the weekend you will be within 5 minutes of well over 50 boats.

The good thing about going out on a weekday is the fact that you have a much better chance of getting on to fins, only your cube trial working and not 50 others.

Good luck

The co-ordinates i use are as follows

34.02.200S 151.39.500E

Thanks for the advice Netic, Will see how the weather is looking for Wednesday, if it looks rough will probably head out Sunday, as long as I can get it through parliment :wife: Sunday is looking a treat weatherwise.

Anyway hopefully Wednesday is calm and we can de virginise my boat with a Yellowfin. :thumbup:

sunday anthony come on sunday

I guess that you would be a starter eh?? I will see what the wife :wife: thinks and check in with Jacko also.

Have you got a game rod that you could use??