Balmoral Beach Jetty

nlthhig

G’day Fellas,

The weather was too good last night to stay in, so I headed out to Balmoral beach (jetty) and cast out a few lines to try my luck.

I was a bit disappointed because the jetty light was not on and the only light source was from the restaurant on the beach. I’m not sure how long the light has been out of action, but it must be let down for fisho's.

That aside, I sent out the beach rod to befriend a new (new to me anyway) marker about 40 meters out, and played with some Berkley Gulps on my lighter gear.

I noticed that there were baitfish being spooked out of the water so i chucked on a small lure to see if i could tempt any predators, no luck there.

In the meantime I heard the reel on the beach rod go spastic. I dropped everything and ran over to tighten the drag and sink the hook into whatever was down there.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The drag was as tight as Johnny Howard’s ass, but still the 35lb line was screaming off the reel!!!!

I was 2 winds off being spooled when the beast decided to make a return to the jetty so I started winding like a maniac to collect the slack.

The great beast made a dash to the sea and again almost spooled me.

15 minutes, 2 sore arms, 2 wobbly legs later................... a monster ray surfaced.

It was fun, but what a let down to see a ray, considering I was already thinking of how I was going to cook the kingfish/jewfish/tailor/salmon once it surfaced.

Has anyone had luck on that particular jetty?

Also if anyone wants to organise an evening fishing session on the jetty (or anywhere on the lower north shore), by all means let me know. I’m in Chatswood and my girlfriend lives in Neutral Bay, so I’m always in the area.

Cheers

Nice report, shame it was a ray!

Which side of the beach was this?

also , i fish balmoral or clifton gardens almost every weekend, even more so in summer.

The light was replaced a few months back , it is not broken now, but just never turns on :mad3:

Have not had much success there recently but things will start to get better from now :thumbup:

last weekend landed two trevalley 41cm and 42cm , not bad fun on 6lb line off the wharf!

sounds sweet. i'm dead keen to hook up on trevally off the jetty there.

which side of the beach you ask? well i'm not sure which side it is, but the walkway right infront of the fancy restaurant leads out to the jetty (next to the hard enclosed swimming area).

have you had any luck with soft plastics there? Gulps should work cause i've pulled flathead, flounder and bream from the same place (in summer), just not recently.

cheers

recently i have only caught a couple of small trevs on the plastics , but dont specifially use em.

If you want trevally , just burly with bread and they should come if they dont , just keep going till they do :1prop:

just a quick note, the wharf seems to fish better on a rising tide.

my theory is at least you got to see the bugger.

some people have been in similar situations on the beaches and are still wondering what they had.

there were a couple of posts a few months back when something similar happened to a couple of blokes and every fish was thrown at the prediction from jewfish to kingfish to yellowfin and even dolphins.

my theory is at least you got to see the bugger.

some people have been in similar situations on the beaches and are still wondering what they had.

there were a couple of posts a few months back when something similar happened to a couple of blokes and every fish was thrown at the prediction from jewfish to kingfish to yellowfin and even dolphins.

i've had a few encounters with rays, and i kinda knew it was on the end of my line, i just didn't want to face the facts at the time. they have their own style. plus it was propably 3 or 4 times the size of previous encounters.

still they put up a hell of a fight and are a whole bunch of fun - which is exctly why i wet my line :1prop:

• 10 months later...

:1welcomeani: to Fishraiderl Oldschool!

I was at Balmoral jetty yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours - tried for blackies, heaps of burley, for zilch - was given some prawns, so tried for bream/yackas - zilch & amongst the 6 of us fishing, only 2 fish were caught - a leatherjacket & a yacka! Very disappointing!

However, gorgeous afternoon to be out in the open, doing what you enjoy! Which is Fishing, of course!!

Cheers

Roberta

:1welcomeani: oldschool

that's a beautiful fish you're holding in that photo on Balmoral Wharf. What did you get it on? Bait or Lures and which ones as I fish there often but don't know what to use for the jewies. Also what time and tide?

Cheers, and hopefully I'll see you out there some time.

• 10 years later...
On 21/09/2006 at 0:10 PM, nlthhig said:

G’day Fellas,

The weather was too good last night to stay in, so I headed out to Balmoral beach (jetty) and cast out a few lines to try my luck.

I was a bit disappointed because the jetty light was not on and the only light source was from the restaurant on the beach. I’m not sure how long the light has been out of action, but it must be let down for fisho's.

That aside, I sent out the beach rod to befriend a new (new to me anyway) marker about 40 meters out, and played with some Berkley Gulps on my lighter gear.

I noticed that there were baitfish being spooked out of the water so i chucked on a small lure to see if i could tempt any predators, no luck there.

In the meantime I heard the reel on the beach rod go spastic. I dropped everything and ran over to tighten the drag and sink the hook into whatever was down there.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The drag was as tight as Johnny Howard’s ass, but still the 35lb line was screaming off the reel!!!!

I was 2 winds off being spooled when the beast decided to make a return to the jetty so I started winding like a maniac to collect the slack.

The great beast made a dash to the sea and again almost spooled me.

15 minutes, 2 sore arms, 2 wobbly legs later................... a monster ray surfaced.

It was fun, but what a let down to see a ray, considering I was already thinking of how I was going to cook the kingfish/jewfish/tailor/salmon once it surfaced.

Has anyone had luck on that particular jetty?

Also if anyone wants to organise an evening fishing session on the jetty (or anywhere on the lower north shore), by all means let me know. I’m in Chatswood and my girlfriend lives in Neutral Bay, so I’m always in the area.

Cheers

What a nice report. I was sure you would post a shark pix at the very end. Well a stingray is still much better than being at home.

I’m keen to an adventure in that area. So let me know when you go next time and will join you as I’ve been always fishing in the south coast.

cheers.

fernando

On 7/26/2007 at 1:16 PM, arielatienza said:

oldschool.jpgBalmoral Wharf is an excellent fishing spot. Back in March of 2005, we have caught jewies every consecutive week. Photos are at my website. I have not visited the wharf after reading about the dioxin news but from the past years, I have observed the seasons go like

December/January- Salmon/Kingies

March/April - Jewies

May-August - Trevally/JohnDory

September/October - Tailor

Other months - Bream/ Flatties/Yakka

Cheers,

Oldschool

That is first rate intel thankyou

16 hours ago, mauricio said:

I don't know how deep it is but I have been getting yakkas and gars there consistently over the past a few weeks. I don't target any particular species there. I've seen people get flatties regularly as well as trevally.  

I went out there this evening with my two young boys. Wind was two strong (at 12 knots / hour) and was blowing in so it's really difficult to cast. Then there's carol in the park plus lots of people bombing into the shark protected pool. I was hoping to catch some bait fish there (in the pool) before getting out there. But the number of people swimming and bombing into the pool means there's no hope of catching any baits. It was cold and windy. So we packed our gear and went home after a little while. Hope for another better day.

Anyone know what would be a good calm wind speed to fish this spot?

7 hours ago, JewCraze said:

I went out there this evening with my two young boys. Wind was two strong (at 12 knots / hour) and was blowing in so it's really difficult to cast. Then there's carol in the park plus lots of people bombing into the shark protected pool. I was hoping to catch some bait fish there (in the pool) before getting out there. But the number of people swimming and bombing into the pool means there's no hope of catching any baits. It was cold and windy. So we packed our gear and went home after a little while. Hope for another better day.

Anyone know what would be a good calm wind speed to fish this spot?

What a shame the kids did not get to fish. I normally fish there before sunrise. I have only come across a couple of people. I would say any southerly winds over 8 knots will make unpleasant to fish at Balmoral. I hope the kids get to wet a line during the school holidays. I normally take my boy to Bobbin Head, they have all the facilities you need for a 5 year old and the fish and chips shop is not too bad.