Water Restrictions.....

Jethro

I can't believe what some of you guys are saying.

it's the environment we are talking about, there are water restrictions in place BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH WATER!!!

it's rediculous to point the finger and blame the govt for poor placement of dams/catchment areas because it fixes nothing.

Pull your heads in and recycle your washing machine water etc. Its not that difficult.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe what some of you guys are saying.

it's the environment we are talking about, there are water restrictions in place BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH WATER!!!

it's rediculous to point the finger and blame the govt for poor placement of dams/catchment areas because it fixes nothing.

Pull your heads in and recycle your washing machine water etc. Its not that difficult.

I'm not putting washing machine water through my engine...you'll end up clogging your engine with lint ...Whats 5 minutes with the hose turned on, inked?? I'd rather pay for the fine than pay for a new engine..I think what people are saying is that the govt is taking it a little bit too far, there is a very good and logical reason why an engine needs to be flushed..I think they need to look at how many leaking taps there are at govt buildings (eg hospitals, schools etc) before they stop us from doing what we have to do.

What about using bore water for those of us who have it?

Would that do more harm than good? It's a little bit pongy and I don't know, but maybe it contains a lot of minerals or whatever that could harm the engine.

Do any of you guys know about this and whether it's safe to use?

I'm not putting washing machine water through my engine...you'll end up clogging your engine with lint ...Whats 5 minutes with the hose turned on, inked?? I'd rather pay for the fine than pay for a new engine..I think what people are saying is that the govt is taking it a little bit too far, there is a very good and logical reason why an engine needs to be flushed..I think they need to look at how many leaking taps there are at govt buildings (eg hospitals, schools etc) before they stop us from doing what we have to do.

lol, you'd filter the water if that was what you were going to do.

whats 5 mins with the hose turned on? mate if everyone was doing it everyday, it amounts to a shit load of water. Personally I'd rather conserve the precious little water that we have at the moment for hmmmmm say drinking!

I think it's pretty arrogant to think its ok to use water in a ban for recreational purposes, such as cleaning a boat.

I suppose its ok for the guy next door to hose down his driveway too!

Edited by inked

I flush my motor each time I use it, called preventative maintenance and peace of mind. May not have a problem today or next year, but I do not want to run the risk of a problem. It can not be doing it any good by not flushing the motor. Better safe than sorry.

I have always had the view that many of the boats permanently on the water with outboards also seem to have a shortened life cycle. Just ask some of the people who live on Scotland or Dangar Island. If not in constant use, longer term the majority seem to have a problem.

If it’s what a marine mechanic and the manufacturer recommend then I would follow that recommendation. You would think on that basis there would be a dispensation for flushing the motor.

Hope it come good for all on the Central Coast

Cheers

If he needs to hose down his driveway to prevent it from being destroyed, then so be it.....but be serious now would ya...at least sydney is saving a little bit of water from you doing the "right" thing....

whatever mate

there's restrictions in place for a reason. You guys are old enough to make decisions for yourselves. I'll stay out of it from here.

cheers

dave

recycled water or rainwater are really going to be the only option till we get some significant rain and the dams fill up.

Water restrictions are inconvenient sure but whats the alternative, it may just help to remind us that the earths rescources aren't unlimited.

We seem to understand that when the pro's are pillaging fish stocks and we whinge and whine about them times are a changing people and when change occurs we have to adjust

I miss watering the front lawn with a coldie in my hand too but I've learnt to adjust :1prop:

Guest Big-Banana

My blame towards the governing bodies is that they have not implemented alternative measures which ARE available, and have waited too long to do anything. Thats not right and now we suffer.

Exactly, why has it taken them so long to act on this? It was always going to be an issue with el nino on the way and worsening.

I see other countries have taken the iniative why havent we?

All i know is that my boat was purchased with my hard earnt money, and i will flush the motor if i chose too, even though we havent reached that level in Sydney if and when we do i will not stop flushing my motor.

If i get fined so be it.

I pay for the damn water so i will use it and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Take you boat into the backyard and flush till your hearts content

Edited by netic

fisherman I challenge you to find someone even online in a forum that has had an outboard damaged from a lack of flushing. Most commercial operators or police, coast guard etc... never flush their motors, granted they use them very regularly so corrosion never has enough time to take place, but my point was that missing the odd flush is no major drama.

Agreed that missing the odd flush will not hurt, I have a mate who runs a barge business and he has NEVER flushed one of his outboards for the above reasons, they are used so often that corrosion wouldnt be a problem.

All i know is that my boat was purchased with my hard earnt money, and i will flush the motor if i chose too, even though we havent reached that level in Sydney if and when we do i will not stop flushing my motor.

If i get fined so be it.

I pay for the damn water so i will use it and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Take you boat into the backyard and flush till your hearts content

I whole heartedly agree,its our water and I

should be able to do whatever I want with it,

water restrictions or not I dont care,If I choose

to flush my outboard,I will flush my outboard,

and I dont care what the polies or anybody else

on this site or anywhere else thinks.

As a matter of fact I even use the garden

hose to wash my cars and boat on a regular

basis,and no ranger can fine me coz

I got bore water :074::074::074:

I CAN SEE WHY EVERYONE IS PISSED OFF, BUT WATER IS IMPORTANT TO EVERYONE AND WE ALL NEED IT TO SURVIVE. BUT AFTER SPENDING ALOT OF MONEY ON A NEW BOAT ONLY A YEAR AGO I WILL CONTINUE TO FLUSH IT AFTER EVERY USE. IM A MECHANIC AND HAVE SEEN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOMEONE CARING FOR THERE ENGINE AND SOMEONE NOT TAKING THE SAME CARE. AS THE SAYING GOES 'IT WONT HAPPEN OVER NIGHT , BUT IT WILL HAPPEN'.CORROSION ATTACKS EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I TRAVELLED TO RIVERSTONE TODAY TO PURCHASE A RAIN WTAER TANK 1450L FOR UNDER 500 BUCKS WITH FILTER SCREEN AND FITTINGS AND IS SLIM ENOUGH TO FIT ALONG SIDE OF HOUSE. I WILL INSTALL MYSELF( ITS PRETTY EASY) AND THAT SOLVES THE PROBLEM FOR ME.

P.S. MAYBE NOW THE COUNCIL MAY SEE THAT BUILDING A DAM ON TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN IS NOT SO GOOD...... :biggrin2:

• 3 weeks later...

found this on sydneywater website

http://www.sydneywater.com.au/SavingWater/WaterRestrictions/

All exemptions are subject to change, following regular reviews as the drought progresses. The following are still permitted at any time:

Using a hose with a trigger nozzle or high pressure cleaning device to clean boat bilges and boat trailer brakes and wheels.

Using a hose to flush boat engines.

Interesting that on the Gosford Council site that they only refer to the external washing of boats.

I imaging that rules out washing of brakes but engine flushes are ok.

You can view the pdf here. for level 4

http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au/water_and_se...-sheet.pdf/view

and here for level 3 http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au/customer/doc...ow-res.pdf/view

Still cant flush motors Brown Hornett. ALL external use of town water is banned, this includes flushing motors. They now specfiy just that on radio announcements.

Cant even bucket wash anything.

Still, I will continue to fill my dogs water bowl from the tap outside as the missus wont have him drink from the toilet. :1prop: