Alan Jones Talks Marine Parks

Yoda

Should make for good listening and it's good to see the likes of John Dunphy going into bat. :brucelee:

I think it's about high time a lot more tackle shops, tackle distributors and rec fishing industry types got involved in this marine park issue and really get stuck in and make it count with a huge effort. :04:

If anyone will show support against what the state labour government messes with it would have to be Jonesy.....hopefully. :biggrin2:

Edited by Hooky.

i listened to the whole programe this morning and Alan did not hold back, he will be a good bloke to have help fight the battle as he has a great deal of power in this state.

Just look what he did regarding things like the cross city tunnel etc.

Hope he continues aplying the pressure

Unfortunately the live broadcast broke under load of to many online?. The hot issue went from 7.10 until 8.00 am with Alan and Minister Macdonald heated in argument, plus many other callers.

Being up at Harrington and the 2GB net link broken I missed it all. If anybody heard it all through please give us a further summary

Bob Smith

Unfortunately the live broadcast broke under load of to many online?. The hot issue went from 7.10 until 8.00 am with Alan and Minister Macdonald heated in argument, plus many other callers.

Being up at Harrington and the 2GB net link broken I missed it all. If anybody heard it all through please give us a further summary

Bob Smith

Perhaps Aron could fill us all in on the goings on, as he has stated he listened to the whole show ??

Perhaps Aron could fill us all in on the goings on, as he has stated he listened to the whole show ??

Alan was brilliant - the minister (Mcdonald) came on and Alan tore him to shreads

There were many anglers from various fishing groups who phoned in after the inital interview - and spoke about the revolt taking place against this government in relation to marine parks.

Of most interest was Alan's persistance to drum in and repeat many key points:

> lack of any scientific studies

> government not taking advice from appointed advisory groups

> estimated loss of 30 million dollars to batesman bay & as much as 50 million dollars to byon bay areas

> lip service by the minister regarding consultations

> 1,000,000 anglers vote - Morris why aren't you listening, where is Morris

I hope that he keeps the presure on - it wouldn't suprise me if he talks about it tomorrow morning on his channel 9 gig

cheers :1fishing1:

Thanks Aron

Here is now a link to here it all with Alan Jones tearing apart Macdonald >

http://www.$%^&*.com/20min.mp3

Macdonald has dobbed in/exposed Bruce Schumacher and criticised Pepperell

REMEMBER ALAN SAID GET POLITICAL

Somebody or deal must surely have Macdonald hooked. Go Alan Jones

This is all starting to expose the Labor fishing sycophants. I like it

Robert Smith

The thing that concerns me about all this is that the Government has not come and and said that it is going to establish all the pmarine parks that p[eople like Alan jones says it is. The only evidence is alleged stat dec's from un-named people who claim thay spoke to un-named officials.

Before I jump one way or the other i want hard evidence. I'm afraid that people like Alan Jones, often sensationalise and distort the facts to siut their own political views.

Hi Lasty

The only areas left are Labor majority electorates. Don't you think that is strange or is all this biodiversity worth protecting only in non Labor areas and that I reckon will apply to the now Labor seat of Port Stephens that might be sacrificed.

Science or Politics?????

You probably don't think much of Piers Akerman either.

Just my thoughts

Bob Smith

Do you ever wonder whether people like Alan Jones or Piers Akerman really care about our interests? Alan Jones only wants people to listen to his radio statiuon so they can sell advertising and Piers Akerman only wants you to buy his paper so that you can look at the paid advertising.

Jones has stumbled on something that has touched nerve with a lot of people and is milking it for all its worth!

Probably nothing until he writes something on it just as AJ got on to it. PA was just a reference on someone who stirs the pot.

If AJ wants to stir the pot over Marine Parks then let me be the first to thank him.

If PA wants to run with it I will congratulate him as well.

Somebody has got to make a stand against this even if it just to get talkback. Go get em Alan.

Bob Smith

I couldn't agree more Bob.

The more people with high media profiles that support this issue the better off we as anglers will be.

I think it's fantastic that Alan Jones is throwing his weight behind such an important issue.

Cheers,

Grant.

Do you ever wonder whether people like Alan Jones or Piers Akerman really care about our interests? Alan Jones only wants people to listen to his radio statiuon so they can sell advertising and Piers Akerman only wants you to buy his paper so that you can look at the paid advertising.

Jones has stumbled on something that has touched nerve with a lot of people and is milking it for all its worth!

I hope nobody just buys the tele to read Piers or the ads. Having said that he calls a spade a spade and pulls no punches. Keep it up Piers.

Alan Jones might be controversial, but hey, it works to get good and bad feedback. Who else would have given Macdonald a serve like that and got away with it. Keep it up Alan.

Bob Smith

The thing is with alan Jones is that people listen and take notice - especially the politicians

love him or hate him, what ever his ultimate agenda is (labour bashing) he applys presure and is fighting our fight

There is already talk that meetings have taken place since AJ show and that 10% sanctuary zones are now being talked about-------- To bloody late Mr Iemma. Marine Parks/sanctuary zones only get bigger on previous history.

I notice that on those interviews it was stated that a rec fish haven down south is now in the Marine Park under control of the Marine Park Act.

Lake Macquarie is also been listed as an candidate site in the Hawkesbury Assessment even though they all deny no plans to have any MPA there. Remember they haven't ripped those plans up in front of the tv cameras yet. It was only 18 mnths ago when they stated that there was no marine parks planned for Port Stephens or Batemans Bay!!!!!!!!

Bob Smith

For any doubters of Labors commitment to the rollout of Marine Parks right along the coastline.

Iemma and co claim there have been no deals done with the greens in this matter, if this is so why did he invite 120 leading greenies to dine at Parliament House on the 29th November 2005 and make the following speech:

"The Port Stephens-Great Lakes Marine Park, covering an area of some 97,000 hectares will be formally created on December 1st 2005. Work will now begin on finalising a zoning plan for this marine park, which will include EXTENSIVE CONSULTATION WITH THE LOCAL COMMUNITY. The zoning plan is expected to be finalised by 1st July 2006.

The second new marine park will be located in he southern section of the Batemans Shelf Marine Bioregion. Its exact name has yet to be decided. While precise boundaries will be finalised by early April, it will cover around 85,000 hectares from Brush Is to Wallaga Lake in the south. LIKE EACH OF THE STATES EXISTING MARINE PARKS, ACCESS TO FAVOURITE FISHING SPOTS IN THESE NEW MARINE PARKS WILL BE FULLY PROTECTED."

"Achievements that will be preserved and extended under my government. But we don't do it alone. Like Labor governments before us, we rely on OUR HISTORIC PARTNERSHIP WITH THE CONSERVATION MOVEMENT."

"Our history tells one powerful lesson - when the conservation movement joins with Labor to pursue common goals, great things can be achieved. It's a special and enduring relationship, and tonight I renew that relationship not just with words but with concrete measures and plans. I'm proud to announce an ambitious five year agenda - "Towards 2010" - the next chapter in our long and proud history of environmental achievement."

"The Port Stephens park will cover the extensive estuaries of Port Stephens, Myall Lakes and Smiths Lake as well as important reefs, islands and wildlife habitats. The Batemans park will encompass many beautiful reefs, islands and coastal lakes such as Durras and Brou. Importantly it will also cover the renowned Montague Island.

"All these parks - Byron, Port Stephens and Batemans - will protect iconic species such as the Grey Nurse shark, Green Turtles, dolphins, penguins and sea birds. And to back up these plans, the Government will invest $30 million over the next 5 years. From no marine parks to six within 8 years - another great Labor achievement.....and one that would never been possible without your informed and persistent advocacy."

"My friends, tonight is just the beginning of a long and positive dialogue between my new Government and the conservation movement."

"Over the next 18 months, Bob Debus, and I will develop the next stage of our plans, working with you, our colleagues in the conservation movement, to protect the environment we hold in trust for generations to come."

"I look forward to working with you."

Still think it is all a beat up by Jones??????????????????????????????????????????

There has been a lot of different opinions on the need for and the eficacy of Marine Park Sanctuary Zones, I think that one thing which we can all agree on is that there needs to be some serious scientific research done to determine the extent to which the marine environment needs to be protected and I personally am totally in favour of reduced bag limits, increased minimum sizes and slot sizes, and I am conceding this without any scientific evidence of the need for these measures, for the reason that I firmly believe in conservation of fish stocks for future generations, I also believe that the authorities can go a long way towards conservation under current bag and size limits through better education of fishers and more rigorous enforcement, I do not see the need to transfer the effort in any Marine Park from say 10 fishing spots to another 10 fishing spots in the same area, how can this possibly help fish stocks, it simply increases fishing pressure on other areas, put this in worldwide perspective and there are a lot of 3rd world countries which welcome the dollars we pay for imports who have no qualms about selling off their last fillet of 'Basa' while our local seafood is locked away forever. Dr Walter Starck, a world renowned marine scientist who has spent decades studying the GBR says that Australian fisheries are the most lightly fished in the world.

We need to get this government to spend the millions they have committed to marine parks to spend this money on proper scientific research into exactly what we need to do as Australians to ensure a sustainable recreational and commercial fishing industry well into the future, not just lock it up and lock us out to satisfy a politically powerful minority for the sake of much needed preferences at the March election.

Edited by Yoda

Alan Jones is revisiting the Marine Park issue this week sometime.

2UE is picking up the issue. Andrew Ettinghousen is going to be interviewed tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday 18th) about this "dreadful" policy.

A report from someone if you hear them would be good.

Bob Smith