Alan Jones Talks Marine Parks

Yoda

Steve Price 2UE Drive-3.00pm-6.00 was where Debus was being interviewed on Monday so I would presume this would be the show. You can listen over the net by opening and minimising it in the background and work over the top.

AJ back on in the morning- He has a pile of paperwork from all over NSW so anything could come out of this.

Bob Smith

Alan doesn’t give a rats arse about our marine parks, his concern is to generate enough emotion about a topic to see his ratings increase, the blokes been in so many scandals his opinion and credibility is zip.

Scientists are paid to do research, depending who pays them, this will influence the report, why do we need some Yank telling us how to conserve our marine resources. Why couldn’t Alan find a CSIRO scientist to discuss this matter?

Because Asia & Indian nations want to decimate there fish stock, are we now to follow suite. I have no sympathy for the fish trawlers just as I don’t have sympathy for the loggers, some industries aren’t sustainable and need to be faded out. Why not employ these groups in fish & tree farming.

However I am concerned about the recreational fishing sport. I would be inclined to support and do what I can to sustain this great sport, as I don’t see it affecting fish stocks under the current regulations.

I think sport-fishing community needs to distance itself from trawling and professional fishing industries, we aren’t on the same side.

So Veck are you infavor of Marine Parks or not or just wanting the fishing all to your self???

From your post you don't give Walter Starck much credit.

For mine ALLAN JONES can blow up this Marine Park debate as much as he likes. As a matter of fact I intend to keep the debate going. John Laws and Piers Akerman can also have a go if they like. Sportfishing or whatever takes your fancy needs somewhere to fish. Sportfishing is only one player in this game and who says it is the only way to fish.

Bob Smith

So Veck are you infavor of Marine Parks or not or just wanting the fishing all to your self???

From your post you don't give Walter Starck much credit.

For mine ALLAN JONES can blow up this Marine Park debate as much as he likes. As a matter of fact I intend to keep the debate going. John Laws and Piers Akerman can also have a go if they like. Sportfishing or whatever takes your fancy needs somewhere to fish. Sportfishing is only one player in this game and who says it is the only way to fish.

Bob Smith

For all recreational / sport fishing people I hope you do keep this debate going Bob. There are enough recreational fishing people in NSW to make our politicians stand up and listen for the vote factor. We don’t need to align ourselves with the pros or trawlers. I would like to see fishing continue as it is, up and down the NSW coast, unrestricted.

Nothing shits me more then when I am fishing the Hawkesbury or up at Foster and trawlers are scooping up everything that moves. There is no foresight or future planning with that action.

Over fishing is why the Indonesians are travelling thousands of KM’s in shabby boats into Aust waters because there fish stock is destroyed. Then you have some YANK saying it’s sustainable, sorry but you can’t have it both ways.

Sport and Recreational fishoes have enough numbers and clout to stand on their own.

For all recreational / sport fishing people I hope you do keep this debate going Bob. There are enough recreational fishing people in NSW to make our politicians stand up and listen for the vote factor. We don’t need to align ourselves with the pros or trawlers. I would like to see fishing continue as it is, up and down the NSW coast, unrestricted.

Nothing shits me more then when I am fishing the Hawkesbury or up at Foster and trawlers are scooping up everything that moves. There is no foresight or future planning with that action.

Over fishing is why the Indonesians are travelling thousands of KM’s in shabby boats into Aust waters because there fish stock is destroyed. Then you have some YANK saying it’s sustainable, sorry but you can’t have it both ways.

Sport and Recreational fishoes have enough numbers and clout to stand on their own.

There is plently of foresight and planning with fish trawling or any other form of professional fishing in our waters. All forms of commercial fishing have to have a Environmental Impact Statement. The Commonwealth Dep of Environment and Heritage also reviews commercial fishing for sustainability (see the attachment I put up). With regards to to trawling there are plenty of spatial and temporal restrictions (ie when and where they can trawl). Plus they have by-catch mitigation devices on their nets. How can you compare this to what is happening in some third world country like Indonesia?

You find the sight of trawlers so objectionable and seem to think this activity is unsustainable. There is no reason that it shouldn't be sustainable if tightly regulated. Don't think that aquaculture is a panacea. It can have more adverse impacts on the environment than a few trawlers ever will. Large areas of our estuaries end up off limits to house the cages. The large numbers of fish close together means that diseases are a problem and these can be tranfered to the wild fish. Huge amounts of fish have to be caught to feed the farmed stock. They cause pollution from all the waste the fish generate and the huge amounts of antibiotics which are also used which also end up in their environment.

Guest danielinbyron

Spot on on the fish farming facts ... and unless we can find something to feed them on ather than someone elses cheaper fish , its a very dodgy business i'm afraid..

My very limited research doesn't have me convinced of the validity of environemntal impact studies either though mate...

There have been next to no studies done on the impact of removal of any stock except to compare it to the numbers of the same stock in previous or consecutive seasons...

Nothing to find out how the removal of one species effects another,,..And please if you can find something particularly on beach hauling mullet, And i don't mean the statement that says that the mullet will be ok. Then point it out to me, my mind is completely open and hungry to understand this....

as far as having an american scientist... why not , get a few poms and some canadians as well.. but the kind of research thats needed isn't easy and it isn't quick, and it isn't simple.

And as far as sides , i'm on my dogs side, his left hand side.

If it were only that simple guys ..i wish it were ... ITS JUST NOT...

meanwhile rec fishos get used like a political ping pong ball first by the gov against the pros then by the pros against the gov ..

thank god i can just go fishing ...some places.....still......for now... :(

OK, so the blokes got an American accent, so what, he lives in Townsville and he just happens to be one of the foremost experts in the world on coral reef biodiversity and happens to have more hours diving on the GBR than any other scientist in the world, and as he said in the interview that there are a lot of scientists who are not willing to speak out as to do so will be a career ending execise, as for Daniel's comments about mullet, and this should go a long way toward all arguments regarding beach hauling, the Newcastle co-op has recorded it's best profit year in over 10 years, and that is including ever increasing restrictions on commercial fishers, and less areas to fish in.

Did you know that the Great White Shark population on the Stockton Bight has increased to the point that local fisherman are warning the authorities that some one is going to get eaten, the Salmon population is so out of control since they banned the take of Salmon that the sharks are just sitting there feasting on them, but what are the Salmon eating? Well, they are eating all of the juvenile Whiting, Bream, etc, etc, Salmon are referred to as the Hoovers of the ocean, ie; they just cruise the beaches and clear out everything in their path, the end result is no juvenile fish to restock the beaches and massive schools of Salmon all over the place, and lots of Whites. So the money that the fools in government are spending on measures to protect the biodiversity in the way of marine parks would be much better spent on actual scientific measures to gauge biodiversity and what to do to create real measures to protect it, rather than listen to a bunch of greenies with their lock it up lock them out policies with no real solutions at all.

Edited by Yoda

Danielinbyron,

The EIS and the Commonweath Dept of Environment & Heritage reports are more reviews than management techiques. With regard to fisheries management from what I can gather the NSW authorities rely on imput controls and the precautionary principal. Your right that we don't have a lot of data regarding the absolute biomass of stocks, and in cases like this input controls are a sensible approach. Relying on stock assessment and quotas can be unreliable in any case, even when based on large amounts of data, eg in the case of the Newfoundland Cod fishery collapse.

These input controls include area closures and season closures for commercial fishing, restrictions on the number of licenses and restriction on gear types. Since the mid 1990's a lot of the commercial effort has been removed from the fishery, combined with other imput controls. Its probably no coincidence that the catch per unit effort has been rising since 1998.

Guest danielinbyron

yoda re the american accent : and my comment of getting a couple of poms, canadians etc. i was actually serious..

i don't care about the color of someones passport..

The study of bio mass and knock on effects seems to be a bit of a black art and just an incomprehensively massive undertaking..with an almost infinant amount of chaotic variables . So its little wonder there isn't allot of data around it really.

And from what i've been told there is some really startling figures around increases in stocks that correlate with increase of pressure and of its natural preditor.

From the reports i read the last year was a particularly good year for mullet hauling as the usual break of fowl weather that most years gives allot more a chance to escape , didn't happen in the season.

And you know what , i don't know if the continual removal of that biomass has any adverse effect on other stocks , breeding habits, migration patterns etc...... Neither would it seem, does anyone else .. But if it does or is having an adverse effect then the much celebrated bumper season of last year could be an absolute disaster..

I've seen a change in the fish that i see with the loss of the+_+_)hite mullet that were once thick here , yes even including salmon starting to show there ugly heads. So my overall feeling is that it does have an effect ..but thats not a sound basis for anything..

But what surprises me most is that i'm writing something in a space that has a title like ALAN JONES TALKS MARINE PARKS.... he reminds me of j edgar hoover... LOL..

yoda re the american accent : and my comment of getting a couple of poms, canadians etc. i was actually serious..

i don't care about the color of someones passport..

The study of bio mass and knock on effects seems to be a bit of a black art and just an incomprehensively massive undertaking..with an almost infinant amount of chaotic variables . So its little wonder there isn't allot of data around it really.

And from what i've been told there is some really startling figures around increases in stocks that correlate with increase of pressure and of its natural preditor.

From the reports i read the last year was a particularly good year for mullet hauling as the usual break of fowl weather that most years gives allot more a chance to escape , didn't happen in the season.

And you know what , i don't know if the continual removal of that biomass has any adverse effect on other stocks , breeding habits, migration patterns etc...... Neither would it seem, does anyone else .. But if it does or is having an adverse effect then the much celebrated bumper season of last year could be an absolute disaster..

I've seen a change in the fish that i see with the loss of the+_+_)hite mullet that were once thick here , yes even including salmon starting to show there ugly heads. So my overall feeling is that it does have an effect ..but thats not a sound basis for anything..

But what surprises me most is that i'm writing something in a space that has a title like ALAN JONES TALKS MARINE PARKS.... he reminds me of j edgar hoover... LOL..

With you re: the j edgar hoover call

• 2 weeks later...

All

Information is at hand that says Debus has signed off on the Batemans Bay Marine Park and it has gone to Cabinet (as of last Friday)

Could be Debus's last christmas present to the South Coast Lib seat before he leaves (6 sitting days left until the March 2007 election)

Bob Smith

Guest danielinbyron

Anybody interested to hear todays interview of Ray Hadley with Morris Iemma go here > http://www.2gb.com/index.php?option=com_co...&Itemid=276

Just scroll to which ever one you want to listen to.

I wonder who is next to fall and will Morris go bald. Crikey, why would you ring up for an interview.

Bob Smith

Bob which of these interviews has iemma and do any of them address the marine park...???

they have numbers..I can't be asked to listen to all of them..

Bob which of these interviews has iemma and do any of them address the marine park...???

they have numbers..I can't be asked to listen to all of them..

At the moment this is the number of the interview. These are not on the MP

3. Best of Ray Hadley 09/11/06 Part 1 Thu, 09 Nov 2006 15:12:30

RAY talks with Deputy Opposition Leader BARRY O’FARRELL and Premier MORRIS IEMMA about issues plaguing the IEMMA Government.

Alan Jones has done the interviews on MP's

Bob Smith

bob i know where your coming from , but lets stick to the FISHING NEWS PLEASE mate...

cheers d.

The post is under Fishing News & Politics and thats where I am coming from. It's all related in understanding why fishing is in the state it's in. Iemma or anyone else needs to be able to answer questions honestly. He is the one chasing the green vote and I'll be damned to let him get it easy.

Bob Smith

Guest danielinbyron

Like i said Bob i could see where your coming from but as a result of your post i listened to a sensationalist radio goon beating up on a flailing premier re his cabinet in disarray , under the title Alan Jones talks marine parks..waiting to hear something asked of the premier on marine parks... thats where i'm coming from...

Further more in this instance Iemma had done nothing wrong except agree to do the interview then handle it poorly , as there is such a thing as due process and thank god we're all entitled to it...

My text is a request Bob . Which includes the word please .Please don't interpret it as an attempt at anything else. As its certainly not my place or intention to be offencive or restrictive and sensorial..

lol i think thats the word :biggrin2:

cheers d

• 2 weeks later...

For anybody who might need a future helicopter in their fishing activities or at a time of bladder weakness while rockclimbing in high heels you might like to listen to this- Ray Hadley (35 minutes) on how the NSW government is transparent.- Could another Minister be in the firing line

Scroll to 24th Nov session and listen or double click and save for later

http://www.2gb.com/index.php?option=com_co...&Itemid=276

Bob Smith

Bob,

I sometimes get so frustrated with the whole MPA deal...We know we are right we know that rec fishers cannot harm the coastal fish stocks and because I have spent most of my life on the ocean I know that my observations of this whole debarcle are correct . I have just written Tony Fleming (one of the MPA gurus) a letter on their recent paper on "how to approach whale and dolphins" the most rediculous paper I have ever read.The shadow minister Duncan Gay read my letter in parliament last week. Read my thoughts on Marine Parks on my web site www.gamefishingcharters.com.au go into Fishing Stories and Hints.

Let me know what you think?

Frustrated yes! but give up no!....on with the revolution ..."We will fight them on the beaches and throw them to the sharks and then we'll go fishin' in their Marine Parks" :1badmood:

Ross

Ross

Read all your site- many hrs fishing there. Agree with all you say.

I have promoted it and linked up on TFP.

These thoughts must be relayed to the wider fishing general public and that's one million of them in NSW at every chance. Thanks for support of TFP.

Bob Smith

PS The greens slipped a bit in Vic election. The inner city greens (where their power comes from) are blinded by extremist propaganda which is different to everybody else being green. TFP matched them or better in the four seats they supported in the last Qld election so we DO have a potential if the message is relayed out.

Ross

Read all your site- many hrs fishing there. Agree with all you say.

I have promoted it and linked up on TFP.

These thoughts must be relayed to the wider fishing general public and that's one million of them in NSW at every chance. Thanks for support of TFP.

Bob Smith

PS The greens slipped a bit in Vic election. The inner city greens (where their power comes from) are blinded by extremist propaganda which is different to everybody else being green. TFP matched them or better in the four seats they supported in the last Qld election so we DO have a potential if the message is relayed out.

Bob,

I have never been a political person But when fishermen have no say in an issue like the No Fish Zones but the NSW gov. still sticks their mit out for $30.00 per annum...Then there is no option but to fight back I really don't think that the average rec fisher realises where this MPA will end ...and it is not going to be pretty in ten years time...On with the revolution.