10 Days In Sydney

wrasseman

Hi all,

Recently returned from 10 days in sydney. Despite a pretty full itinery, I did manage to fit a bit of fishing in. On the 1st monday I'd arranged to meet fishraider "koons" for a bit of a sesh down at clifton gardens in the hope of finding some trevs. Almost as soon as I arrived I scored my first hit with a little flattie taking a liking to my gulp craw. clifton_987.jpg

Sadly, this was the only fish landed by either of us despite some failed attempts on a squid that was keen to eat my gulp prawn but wouldn't touch a jig and a big hookup to koons (most likely a trev.) that sadly found a weakness in his leader. A nice little sesh nontheless and good to meet a fello fishraider.

After this, my next couple of fishing sessions were brief, early morning affairs throwing lures off the rocks at Palm Beach (my favoured spot at whaley was either too dangerous or crowded each time I had a look). This was not very productive though with only a couple of pike to show for it (no piccies I'm afraid). Later in the week I hooked up with Grant (jewhunter) and his son for a session at hen and chicken bay. I started with a few small tailor and Grant with a few small flatties. After a lure change I picked up my first flattie (and second...) and they began to get bigger for us both, though never reaching monster size. We both also managed to miss a couple of presumed bream before Grant managed to get one on the bank (with a bit of help from mini jewhunter) just before full time. A real pleasure to meet you Grant, thanks again for taking me out.

On another day, I had a little sesh at Clontarf where I managed several tailor and a small snapper whilst dodging the many stingrays. I would have liked a pic of a lure eating snapper but after going back to the car to retrieve the camera I didn't score another.

One morning I had an early sesh at one of the creeks that flow into narrabeen lakes and on this occasion I picked up a 26cm whiting and a just legal flathead (37cm) sadly the whiting dehooked itself as I got the camera out but here is the flattie. 37flattie_400.jpg

On Friday morning I hooked up with a mate for a sesh flicking plastic around the boats and wharves at the spit. Matt managed a nice bream, which he was able to sight cast to under a wharf whilst all I managed was 2 snottings amongst the pylons (2lb fireline and 4lb leader was probably a bit undergunned). I also managed to give myself a hell of a shock when I trod on a numbfish (electric ray) - not recomended.

On saturday afternoon Tracey and I headed down to the entrance to narrabeen lakes and while she sat in the sun, I worked my way along flicking a tango around hoping for a flattie. It didn't take long to score my first fish with a nice tailor climbing on, quite a surprise in the 20cm deep water where he struck. My next fish was a nice flattie of about 50cm which drew a bit of an audience as I released it. I notived some discarded net as I did this and a large live mullet was caught in it, so I removed my shoes and went in and cut it out. After this I continued on picking up another tailor and then as I stopped to put my shoes on, tracey had 2 casts and scored a 32cm bream on my little tango allowing her to hassle me about my inferior fishing abilities. I followed this up by dropping another nice flattie at my feet before we called it a day.

My final fish was on monday morning when I went down to the nearest water to where we stayed (pittwater) and managed a nice flattie and another whiting (again it escaped as I readied the camera).

wetflattie_159.jpg

All in all it was a great trip, I could have happily spent more time fishing but with family commitments and friends to catch up with, there's only so much time so almost all trips were less than 90min.

As I realised when I got home that all my fish photos were of flatties, here is something different, a spoonbill in the wetlands behind warriewood.

spoonbill_148.jpg

Cheers

col.

post-1831-1160547857_thumb.jpg

Edited by wrasseman

sounds like you had a great trip and some nice fish to accompany, cant get much better!!!

quick question when fishing the entrance were you fishing the beach side or lake side as on the lake side there were pleny of big stingrays around!!

well done on the fish

cheers pk

It was very nice to catch up with you Col, even though it wasn't for that long. It was a hectic & bugger of a week. I then fished the social on the w/end. Sorry we couldn't get to fish a bit more together. I know you were pretty flat out as well.

Some nice pics there mate. Fancy the :wife: showing you up with a nice Bream! :thumbup:

Hope you enjoyed your stay & I'm looking forward to more Trout pics soon.

Cheers,

Grant.

quick question when fishing the entrance were you fishing the beach side or lake side as on the lake side there were pleny of big stingrays around!!

I was fishing the north bank (from the wall) of the entrance from the beach back towards the road.

It was very nice to catch up with you Col, even though it wasn't for that long. It was a hectic & bugger of a week. I then fished the social on the w/end. Sorry we couldn't get to fish a bit more together. I know you were pretty flat out as well.

Some nice pics there mate. Fancy the :wife: showing you up with a nice Bream! :thumbup:

Hope you enjoyed your stay & I'm looking forward to more Trout pics soon.

Cheers,

Grant.

Great to meet you and yep I had a great time in Syd. Hope I can fulfill your wish for trout pics too.

Cheers

Col.

Edited by wrasseman

I was fishing the north bank (from the wall) of the entrance from the beach back towards the road.

Great to meet you and yep I had a great time in Syd. Hope I can fulfill your wish for trout pics too.

Cheers

Col.

Hi Col,

Great to see you had some decent fishing here in Sydney. I'm back from the 1 week family holiday to Tassie. Sorry couldn't catch up with you as we only had 1 car and limited time for me to fish. Only managed a 25cm brown trout at Gunns Plains. Had a few short sessions in the early mornings or evo but not much luck with the trout.

Had 1 day at Great Lakes but in the evo the wind was blowing like crazy but i still went out. Was planning an early morning session but woke up to find it snowing !!

Well, it was a good experience for the family to have seen and experience the snow.

So no luck at the central highlands.

The scenery was spectacular. hope to be back there again soon.

Koons.

Looks like it was a very successful 10 days in Sydney for you, Col! Fantastic effort! Not a bad result for a holiday session! :thumbup: Sounds like you had a great time. I especially like the flatties - some good specimens there.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Wrasseman - I am totally impressed that you've come over to Sydney and scored good fish using your fav little spoon lures. I should admit that I have been an avid reader of your Tassie trout adventures and have always marvelled at the fact that you get so many good fish on what many (myself included) would consider to be a 'primitive' lure.

But clearly this attitude is just a bunch of BS. All that money spent of SP's and you're braining the flatties with an indestructible metal slug!!! I love it.

Glad that our harbour city could produce some good fishing for you, and great reports. Looking forward to the next one.

Wrasseman - I am totally impressed that you've come over to Sydney and scored good fish using your fav little spoon lures. I should admit that I have been an avid reader of your Tassie trout adventures and have always marvelled at the fact that you get so many good fish on what many (myself included) would consider to be a 'primitive' lure.

But clearly this attitude is just a bunch of BS. All that money spent of SP's and you're braining the flatties with an indestructible metal slug!!! I love it.

:dito: that! Well said, mate! Go the spoons!

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman