Does Any One Know

Geoff

Question

24 answers to this question

My guess is a Steephead Parrotfish. (Chlorurus microrhinos)

Your one looks a little sun bleached but the blue tail gives it away.

Here's some pics:

post-1685-1161840023_thumb.jpg

Waddyareckon Flattieman?post-1685-1161841032_thumb.jpgpost-1685-1161841059_thumb.jpg

Edited by MallacootaPete

Though this is quite a difficult fish to identify, I would agree with David's theory that it is in fact a tuskfish. More specifically, a Blackspot tuskfish (Choerodon schoenleinii). Tuskfish, alike many other tropical species, have been known to venture down into these southern waters. One species - the Purple tuskfish (Choerodon cephalotes) actually finds its southern limits at Sydney Harbour. Below are pictures of both species, however, I would be most inclined to say "Blackspot" - juvenile, of course. Obviously, the Blackspot tuskfish is a rare catch in southern waters, but the QLD DPI website indicates the following:

Description

Black-spot tuskfish grow to about 90cm (15.9kg). At sexual maturity they are around 53-54cm in length. Adult and juvenile fish are different in colouration, however, both can be identified by a conspicuous black spot located at the base of the soft dorsal fin. The spot can be faint or absent in some fish. Adult fish are blue-green along the back with short blue bars on each scale. The tail is darker blue-purple and the tailing edge of the dorsal fin is golden orange. Juveniles are olive green along the back with yellow bellies. Their scales also have short blue bars and they have a series of blue lines near the eyes and mouth. These fish have well-developed tusk-like teeth which they use to move aside dead coral rubble. They then use powerful pectoral fins to shift sand, exposing part buried crabs, which they then feed on.

Habitat/distribution

Black-spot tuskfish live on coral reefs and over reef flats along the entire Queensland coast. They are also common over seagrass beds, generally occurring on the inner continental shelf to at least 200m depth. Black-spot tuskfish can also be found in New South Wales, the Gulf of Carpentaria and into northern Western Australia. This species feeds in the shallow waters of the Great Barrier Reef.

Blackspot tuskfish (Choerodon schoenleinii):

11236.jpg

Purple tuskfish (Choerodon cephalotes):

purpletusk.jpg

One thing to note: If possible, could Raiders please photograph fish for identification with fins flared? - It sometimes assists in identification.

Hope this helps,

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

I have to disagree with you flattieman on this one The head of the blackspot tuskfish is not steep enough

Im going to have to go with mallacootapete on this one

Used to catch plenty of blackspots of Gladstone using crabs a trawler mate used to keep for us for bait They are one of the hardest pulling fish you will come up against

I have to disagree with you flattieman on this one The head of the blackspot tuskfish is not steep enough

Im going to have to go with mallacootapete on this one

Used to catch plenty of blackspots of Gladstone using crabs a trawler mate used to keep for us for bait They are one of the hardest pulling fish you will come up against

Sure. Thanks for the input, mate. The Steephead Parrotfish definitely does have a steep head! I'll have a search around and see if there's any pictures around that match the colouration of Geoff's fish.

-EDIT-

Here's the proof of the theory:

cmicroresr2.jpg

I think it would be fair enough to say that MallacootaPete may be right - Steephead Parrotfish (Chlorurus microrhinos). On closer inspection of the tuskfish, the tail and tail fin appear to be too wide. A colouring similar to that above would match Geoff's fish too. Although... the colouration above doesn't really correlate with Geoff's fish all-too-much... There's still a little doubt in my mind EXACTLY what it is... I might have a browse over the parrotfish species and come back to it...

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

I'm wondering if Geoff"s picture of the fish is just a little overexposed and it is actually a blue colour

all over.

if Geoff is reading this..was it's colour predominately blue overall or a light yellowish colour overall?

If blueish, I'd have to say Steephead Parrotfish for sure.

Pete.

Parrot fish or tusk fish colours can vary in shades from light to dark depending on the area they were like darker when in the reefs or lighter when over sand

Yes indeed. What strikes me as being quite strange is the dark blue underneath of the parrotfish picture above. This is absent in Geoff's picture... but some fish are true chameleons - I would be not at all surprised if the blue underbelly was an environmental response... I can see a tinge of blue in the upper pelvic/anal fin section of the fish... Pete's suggestion of overexposure is also relevant. Geoff, if you read this, is there any possible way of providing a larger photo? It is most likely a Steephead Parrotfish.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

I'm wondering if Geoff"s picture of the fish is just a little overexposed and it is actually a blue colour

all over.

if Geoff is reading this..was it's colour predominately blue overall or a light yellowish colour overall?

If blueish, I'd have to say Steephead Parrotfish for sure.

Pete.

Guys , Firstly tks for your interest & comments. Perhaps I should mention I have no idea what it is so keep those suggestions coming. It would be great to reach a consenious.

Also , the fish was releasd so perhaps is still swiming around the end of the third runway.

Pete The photo is accurate , in fact if anything it was actually a bit whiter , in particular around the head , you could say a pearly white.

Trust this has not thrown a spanner in the works

Geoff

Geoff, if you read this, is there any possible way of providing a larger photo? It is most likely a Steephead Parrotfish.

Flattieman.

Flattieman Unfortunatly this is the only photo I have. Tried to enlarge but just became blury.

Maybe some one who can enlarge the photo but maintain the focos would like to volenteer

Geoff

Dan an kingpig, here's a picture of the Venus Tuskfish (Choerodon venustus):

11240.jpg

And here's two pictures of the Balchin Groper (Choerodon rubescens):

Baldchin04.jpg

baldchin_groper.jpg

The Baldchin groper (featured in one memorable episode of Rex Hunt's Fishing Adventures) looks quite similar to Geoff's fish, but would be an absolute FREAK catch in Botany Bay, as they are distributed so:

"Choerodon rubescens is found on coastal and offshore reefs on the continental shelf of Western Australia and is suggested to be most abundant at the Abrolhos Islands (ca. 28.5ºS, 113.5ºE), which is approximately in the centre of this species' distribution (Walker 1983, Hutchins and Swainston 1986, Allen 1999, Hutchins 2001). These islands are situated approximately 70 km offshore from Geraldton, on the west coast of Australia. It is likely to be similarly abundant at sites further north, e.g., along the Zuytdorp Cliffs and the western sides of large islands at the western border of Shark Bay, i.e., Dirk Hartog, Bernier and Dorre Islands (ca. 26ºS, 113.5ºE), although most of these areas are fairly inaccessible, except by boat (Hutchins 1990, Hutchins et al. 1995, Fairclough in prep.). It is also found at Coral Bay at the southern end of Ningaloo Reef (Hutchins and Swainston 1986). Choerodon rubescens is captured by commercial and recreational fishers further south from Geraldton, e.g., Jurien Bay and Perth, where there are more coastal and offshore limestone reefs and islands (Hutchins 1979, Crowe et al. 1999, Sumner and Williamson 1999)." - The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species

Geoff, that's fine if you can't get a better photo - we can work with what you've provided.

Flattieman.

Guy's This may be way out in left field but what do baby Dolphin fish look like.

The head is similiar , perhaps a bit stumpy in the tail area

Are they born green & yellow or perhaps that is the colour they change to when mature

Geoff

Caught this in Botany Bay earlier in the year. Anyone like to have a stab at what it is

Geoff

post-731-1161838840_thumb.jpg

My guess is a tusk fish.

We seem to get all kinds of small fish that are more suited to the tropics at this time of year.

Ive got alls sorts of tropical species in the harbour such as small sweetlip and even spangled emporer

Stewy Tks for you effort & contribuation. The shape looks correct. Colour , well sort of

But how can I argue with my name sake

Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.

Regards

Geoff. ( R . Allen.)

It's a type of wrasse, most likely in the genus Xyrichthys. It's probably not the same species, but you can see a representative of the genus (a juvenile) at http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/xpavo.htm. The razorfishes all have a sharp 'forehead'. They can use this to 'dive' into sandy substrates.

Very interesting!... :biggrin2: Possible new species? :thumbup: I'm thinking Xyrichthys fishraiderus :074: .

Flattieman.

Me too, Dave. A bit far from home in the North, but it does look incredibly close to the picture. You solved your own problem, Geoff! :yahoo::thumbup::biggrin2:

Flattieman.

Flattieman. It appears so but most of the credit goes to the Swordies , Stewie for the the link into the Aust Museum who suggested it was a Razorfish & Donna for the web link at the top of the Aquarium page.

My contruibition was just to surf around the site.

Any way , thanks again to all & we will move onto the next challenge

Geoff

Edited by Geoff