Recipes For The Dreaded Carp

mrmoshe

Yes, I know...you'll howl me down about putting up a recipe for those

horrible crap fish, the carp.

But remember, if people start eating these pests, there will be fewer and fewer

carp in our waterways.

But apparently they ARE very edible and especially in Asian cooking.

While prized as a good eating fish in China, Carp are not generally part of the Aussies diet. In a bid to encourage people to eat Carp, in 1997 the NSW Department of Land and Water Conservation, in partnership with the Department of Fisheries, released "A Mouthful of Ideas for Better Rivers" - "The Carp Cookbook." This has some interesting recipes but I am certain you can add to it such as fish stews, fish pies, fish soups, fish in burgundy sauce, dried fish, fish pate etc. A large number of Australian wines (especially reds) are useful to use in Carp recipes.

Here's a few recipes I found for Carp.

Carp Burgers

2 kilos of Carp

Half-teaspoon sage, powdered

One-teaspoon celery salt

Quarter-cup onion, minced

Quarter-teaspoon black pepper

One-teaspoon baking soda

Tsp Cajun paste optional

Fillet Carp, skin and remove rib sections. Mix baking soda with enough water to cover fillets and soak overnight. Rinse fillets under cold water and dry with paper towels. Run fillets through meat grinder with fine blade twice. Mix onion, sage, celery salt, pepper and Carp well in a large bowl. Form into patties, roll in dry pancake flour and drop into hot oil. Fry about two minutes on each side until brown, drain on paper towels and serve with horseradish, mustard, or shrimp cocktail sauce.

Pressure Cooked Carp.

Skinned Carp fillets cut into pieces

Two-tablespoons salad oil

One teaspoon pickling salt

Herbs and spices if desired

Pack Carp into pint canning jars and add salad oil, salt, herbs and spices. Pressure cook Carp for 90 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure. For a taste variation, add 2 tablespoons catsup, or 1 tablespoon of dry mustard. note if you do not have suitable canning jars you can just pressure cook the fish and put in preserving jars later, but it is a bit like tins of salmon it is better to have it fit properly first and cook in own juices before you seal. Once it cools in a sealed container, it creates a vacuum that helps preservation.

Barbecued Carp

One Carp skinned, with tail removed

Half-cup chopped onions

Quarter-cup margarine

One-cup barbecue sauce

(Cajun seasoning if desired)

Spread cavity with margarine then sprinkle onions, salt and pepper inside cavity. Spread Half-a-cup of barbecue sauce on piece of heavy aluminium foil large enough to wrap fish, put fish on top of sauce, and cover with the remainder of the sauce. Wrap fish tightly in foil. Place in baking pan and bake in a moderately slow oven at 350f (180- Celsius) degrees for one and a half hours. Turn two or three times during baking. When done place on platter and pour sauce from foil package onto fish to serve.

Edited by MallacootaPete

One of the many problems with carp, is because they feed from the mud, they also pick up all the dioxins/heavy metals etc in the mud. That would pretty much rule out eating any caught in the Sydney basin.

That said, I also wouldn't be putting them in my vege patch either. Those Tommy's might get pest resistant and heavier but not in a good way.

Guest danielinbyron

Pete apparently that programme was a dreadful failure with all the participants agreeing they taste like carp..

Its funny i have a pommy mate who owns a fishing club .. A lake where members in England can go and fish for carp.. They pay good money for the privelage, They have landing mats and they have to weigh and photograph the carp before releasing them unharmed , each fish is worth up to 2000 quid.

Pete apparently that programme was a dreadful failure with all the participants agreeing they taste like carp..

Its funny i have a pommy mate who owns a fishing club .. A lake where members in England can go and fish for carp.. They pay good money for the privelage, They have landing mats and they have to weigh and photograph the carp before releasing them unharmed , each fish is worth up to 2000 quid.

Thanks Daniel. I have never tried carp (and probably don't intend to either) and I can see why

the Govt. Carp program was ditched.

Just the thought of eating them would put most people off 'em.

Anyway, apparently they are considered somewhat of a delicacy in Asia, so perhaps the demand

from there will one day help us get rid of these pests.

Pete.

I just did some reading on carp in Australia.

They don't have very many positives going for them.

The sooner we eradicate this pest, the better, but it all seems too late by the looks.

I also notice they are known carriers of disease which, while not impacting on

humans eating them, carry a parasite, the Anchor Worm which affects other native fish.

Have a read of this paper written by Paul Brown, Narrandera Fisheries Centre.

It will sure put you off carp forever.

http://www.irysec.vic.edu.au/sci/introduced/carpfact.html

It sure put me off the buggers.

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Give me a nice stinky pike or a boney Seargent Baker any day.......... even sweep get a look in!!!!

Yes, I have tried them done by good middle european cooks, if I want that taste again Ill roll some sunlight soap in my bait and cook it up...................... UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Give me a nice stinky pike or a boney Seargent Baker any day.......... even sweep get a look in!!!!

Yes, I have tried them done by good middle european cooks, if I want that taste again Ill roll some sunlight soap in my bait and cook it up...................... UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:074::074::074:

• 2 months later...

Maybe someone with the technology, contacts, and knowhow could export large quantities of these fish into Asia or to Indonesia. Just a thought. I know we export a lot of eel to Japan and i would eat carp before I ate an eel !!

davo

I do not eat alot of fish but do like the occasional flathead.Here is a good recipe for your carp.

1 large carp

1 litrre water

pinch of salt

1 common house brick

yes you read right

boil for 30 min

drain water

throw carp in bin

serve house brick up on cool plate

ENJOY!

:beersmile:

drink alot of beer to help wash down.

Cheers

Suffo.

Maybe someone with the technology, contacts, and knowhow could export large quantities of these fish into Asia or to Indonesia. Just a thought. I know we export a lot of eel to Japan and i would eat carp before I ate an eel !!

davo

At 2000 quid a pop...anyone think of exporting them to the UK instead? :1prop:

Then they can catch and release them as many times as they want and we can free our waters for our own native fish. :biggrin2:

Ancient confucian saying: there are no feral animals when you find a use for them! :tease:

• 6 years later...

LOL Let me try and add something to the Carp post.

To correct some fallacies, Carp is one of the fishers eaten in Asia yes, been around most of Asia fishing and he likes.

This fish is usually bought by the poorer people that cannot afford the more expensive fish or if they may have a tradition or family recipe that they sometimes use, like my family has.

I have some knowledge on carp eating.

Firstly if you want to eat Carp

Firstly when caught keep it alive, its easier to remove the mud taste.

If alive put the fish in a large container keep it alive for 3 to 4 days to get the mud taste and any crap that's in the fish.

If they are dead fillet the flesh and soak in milk for a day or two.

The best taste for carp is smoking he carp.

The fats in the meat will melt into the flesh giving it a moist and smoked flavour to the meat.

The only problem I found is when you eat carp those hair bones give me the peeps.

That's why you have rice near by.

If one of these bones get stuck in your throat you swallow a ball of rice and u be fine.

I have know some peeps who knows the structure of the fish enough to debone the fish but this will take a lot of practice.

• 2 months later...

Tried it once on a camping trip. The number of bones in those things is off the scale, had to cut up about 6kg of carp to get about 200 grams of boneless flesh. Soaked it in ice water for a couple of hours to remove the muddy flavour. Wrapped it in foil with carrots, red onion, beans and red thai curry paste and cooked on an open fire. After all that stuffing about's it still tasted like crap, just glad I put the veggies in so between them and some rice i still had a meal. Certainly wouldn't recommend to any one to bother eating those things. Throw them up the bank and be done with them.

R

Probably an onld wives tale. But dont they eat carp for Christmas in Austria and eastern Europe? I have heard they keep it alive in the bath and then place it into ice so it shuts down reducing stress levels.

I'll give it a go. I'd rather find a use for them rather than just bashing them on the head and throwing them in a bush. :)

Probably an onld wives tale. But dont they eat carp for Christmas in Austria and eastern Europe? I have heard they keep it alive in the bath and then place it into ice so it shuts down reducing stress levels.

I'll give it a go. I'd rather find a use for them rather than just bashing them on the head and throwing them in a bush. :)

What are you giving a go? Eating Carp for Christmas? Or keeping them in the bath?

If your going to keep them in the bath, better get an aerator, it's a long time until Christmas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 weeks later...