Heres One For You

Trippo

Question

12 answers to this question

Butterfly

Yes indeed, mate! :thumbup::biggrin2: It's a butterfly kingfish (Gasterochisma melampus) - not a tuna (surprisingly!), but a tuna-like specie - sharing the genus Gasterochismae with only the slender tuna (Gasterochisma fallai). The butterfly kingfish is also known as butterfly mackerel, butterfly tuna, bigscale mackerel, big-scaled mackerel, scaled tunny or scaled tuna! :wacko: Point is, it's a fine pelagic gamefish - growing to 1.75m+ (80kg++). The butterfly kingfish is distributed throughout southern temperate waters and dines on much the same food items as tuna species. The pelvic fins of juveniles are massive - much longer than the head length, hence the name "butterfly". A very interesting fish! Here's a couple of pics:

Gasterochisma_melampus_(Butterfly_kingfish).gif

post-1466-1162448252_thumb.jpg

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Yes indeed, mate! :thumbup::biggrin2: It's a butterfly kingfish (Gasterochisma melampus) - not a tuna (surprisingly!), but a tuna-like specie - sharing the genus Gasterochismae with only the slender tuna (Gasterochisma fallai). The butterfly kingfish is also known as butterfly mackerel, butterfly tuna, bigscale mackerel, big-scaled mackerel, scaled tunny or scaled tuna! :wacko: Point is, it's a fine pelagic gamefish - growing to 1.75m+ (80kg++). The butterfly kingfish is distributed throughout southern temperate waters and dines on much the same food items as tuna species. The pelvic fins of juveniles are massive - much longer than the head length, hence the name "butterfly". A very interesting fish! Here's a couple of pics:

Gasterochisma_melampus_(Butterfly_kingfish).gif

post-1466-1162448252_thumb.jpg

Flattieman.

Thanks for the info guys.....

I made a mistake, my friends tell me Quote:caught it the other side of NZ as well not tahiti.

Thanks again.