Who Goes Out To Open Sea On A Smaller Boat?

caribet

My old boat has a 20 inch transom and 4.3 m long - just wondering who has headed out onto open water on smaller boats. What other factors would you consider important? (no doubt the weather) I am new to boating...What advice can you give? What is the best way to learn about crossing bars and general seamanship?

Edited by caribet

I regularily fish outside in a Quintrex Fishrunner 4.3, she is a beautiful boat and very capable, however this is dependant on the skipper (we have done the FADS and some other big trips)...... if you have an inexperienced skipper a Riviera 40 can end up in the shit and not be big enough!

Dont exeed your limitations, and their is no shame to calling a bar crossing because you dont feel right about it.

Take it slow and build your experience, and above all be realistic in your expectations of yourself and your boat.

Whats the make and model of yours mate..... that may give us a bit more idea of what it can do.

As Jewel has said the skills of the skipper are very important.

offshore conditions can go from good to bad in a second, make sure you check all the weather reports and allow for the reports to be wrong has there are rarely right.

Hey guy's

I am getting a 4.55mtr seajay with a 50hp tohatsu I am hoping this will get me out past the heads

am I right in thinking it would be limited to good days weather wise or would it be pretty safe most

of the time?

Coollamon

Edited by coollamon

Guest Big-Banana

You will definately have to pick your days, but that also depends on your experience as a boater

Thats the thing that sh*ts me, when your out 30km and you see a 15ft tinny go past you. When the weather turns to sh*t they come on the radio, shit scared with nowhere to go. They think they're indestructible but the sea will win every time. Ill never forget the time a storm came up and we were quite new to boating, 3-4 meter seas and there was this so called know it all bloke begging for our help 10km offshore in a tinny who had broken down. Helped him back to land and do you think we even got a thank you?

I don't respect anyone who goes out in the sh*t, its a different story when you get caught in it.

Edited by Big-Banana

Thats the thing that sh*ts me, when your out 30km and you see a 15ft tinny go past you. When the weather turns to sh*t they come on the radio, shit scared with nowhere to go. They think they're indestructible but the sea will win every time. Ill never forget the time a storm came up and we were quite new to boating, 3-4 meter seas and there was this so called know it all bloke begging for our help 10km offshore in a tinny who had broken down. Helped him back to land and do you think we even got a thank you?

I don't respect anyone who goes out in the sh*t, its a different story when you get caught in it.

I agree Big Banana. Though I would add the often the heads is roughest place of all. The effect of a run out tide, shallow water and big swell should not be underestimated.

If going outside in a boat under 5.3m you must be extemely careful of the weather outlook and where/ how far you go. You are better off sticking to semi-sheltered areas such as Bate Bay off Cronulla.

I think and have experience myself that it depends on the boat. My first boat was a bfg 4.75 sea nyph and she could handle the waters well. The sides of the boat were above the knees and never had trouble going to the peak or the traps off Wollongong, we are talking between 9-12 kilometres from shore in 15-20 knot winds, no higher or further!!!! the boat also had a 70 hp on the back and it had the power to bring me home in a hurry. As the others said experience and common sense plays a big factor I have been out with mates and when I use to see conditions change above the 15-20 knot I always brought the anchor up and headed home but as always, some idiot tries to talk you out of it cause we're catching fish. These are the people that you don't go out in their boat cause they take stupid chances for a lousy fish!! There were many times when we made plans to go out to the traps but decided not to venture out especially when you have a wind coming from the north, a swell coming from the south and a current thats doing it's on little thing and the sea is like a washing machine. It is always good to go out with someone who has small boat experience and check out your boat in the water and be able to show you your boat limitations expecially on a day with 15-20 knot winds. I can assure you, you won't have to go out too far offshore too find out if she is good or not!!

Cheers

I have had my day ruined by fisho's in tinnies offshore, One day we were on our way out to the fads and saw a boat waving at us, there were about 5kms offshore with a broken down motor in about a 2 metre swell, could barely see them, They were in a 4 metre tinny.

They had no flares and no radio, we wasted 2 hours towing them back in and wasted so much time that we didnt bother going back out as we knew a southerly was going to blow that arvo.

3 months ago i was out quite wide from Broken Bay and there was a fair chop and wind on and there were 5 guys in a 4 metre tinny with a 25 on the back of it all with cans in their hands trying to fish in a 2 metre swell with a southerly blowing at 20 knots. You just know that is a recipe for disaster. I know i am too cautious (have a 7 metre Signature with a 225 Mercury on the back) but at least i have always been relatively safe when it turns sour and my experience is, it does turn crook regularly.

My old boat has a 20 inch transom and 4.3 m long - just wondering who has headed out onto open water on smaller boats. What other factors would you consider important? (no doubt the weather) I am new to boating...What advice can you give? What is the best way to learn about crossing bars and general seamanship?

Caribet The guys have provided good information , especially with,

Pick the correct day

Know your boats capabilities & relialability

The free board & design of your boat is similiar to my old Quinnie. Comparing todays 4.3 to yours is like chalk & cheese.

The weather needs to be very good & no suprises on the horizen. Crossing a bar , forget it . the near flat bottom is not suited to climbing over breaking waves

In respect to learning , there is a DVD available , I think from Waterways , on bar crossings. There are also DVD on boating & safety

Another source , check the Volenteer Coastal Patrol . The hold boating courses

Geoff

Mine's a Seajay 4.55 with Honda 40. I fish regularly outside the heads but only when conditions are right. If I get to North Head and it's too shitty I'll do a uey and fish inside - and the Seajay has the most freeboard of any tinnie in that size range. Same as the one Coolamon's buying, but no fish is worth your life. Like my late father used to say, "when in doubt, don't go out !", (among all the other little trinkets he used to come up with). But it's good advice. It's all very well going out in a small boat, but when you are concentrating on the fishing, you sometimes don't notice the weather turn, and it turns real quick, that is when you find yourself in deep doo-doo with your boat being flung about like tissue paper.

Two years ago on New Years Day I left the Basin on the Pittwater to head back to Bayview and met with a screaming southerly of about 40 m- 50 kts and 2mtr waves - on the Pittwater - luckily I had mates at the Basin with a 6.5 mtr cuddy and they had to tow me to the ramp. Imagine if I had been outside. Take care, mate, and remember,

" WHEN IN DOUBT, DON'T GO OUT"

Tuffy ( Russ)

i have a 4.75 centre consol legend quintrex with a millinium hull, splash deck and built in flotation. in the boat i have 2 batteries, radio, gps, mobile phone and i still try to get a mate in another boat to come out if we going out wide. i bought this boat because i spent a year fishing on a freinds quintrex reef hunter 4.75, crossing bars (swr) and spending plenty of hours at sea in bad conditions. the boat performed so well i bought my own. these quinnies are built for this type of work. and no i dont work for quintrex.

you say you are new to boating, my advice is give yourself plenty of time to learn the ropes maybe in the harbour, its rough enough in there on a sunday anyway or pick a calm day and follow out a raider, there is plenty of experiance boaters on this site that im sure will watch out for you.

Well after all the responses I think I will be sticking to the lake (Macquarie) and the harbour (Newcastle) to build up some experience. I think my boat is probably suitable for just about that (my boat is in one of the other forum topics about "identifying this tinnie" - that was one of the reasons I wanted to have it identified so that I could find out what it was really designed for.....but it is yet to be positively identified). Since I got the motor secondhand, it will be good to build up a working history with it which might give me a sense of its reliability as well (40HP Tohatsu '99 - 50hrs use). I certainly look forward to being to head out to the open and will sit back when I can and watch to see how others get across the bar (Swansea). It would be good to go out with an experienced boatie in my old tinnie just to let me know what their thoughts are about its capability (and hopefully not to just tell me how bad it may be - got to start somewhere aye). Might post something on the newcastlefishing.com.au website to see if I can get some willing veteran to take it for a run (if anyone reading is local and think you might be one for it, let me know). The open waters might just have to wait till I get a bigger and newer boat though. Thanks again guys!

Oh, what transom height (or freeboard) do you guys, who do go out, have?

Caribe

Edited by caribet

Lake Mac will give you plenty of experience when a black nor easter comes up, or in a big north or south westerly. You learn quickly that you don't want to be out there in it.

Most motors on larger tinnies are 20 inch "longshaft" to suit a 20'' trnasom.

Small shortshaft tinnies use 15 inch motors, which fit a 15'' transom. (why not longshaft 20'' - its an optional extra)

I had a 1981 4m quintrex breezeabout, and once I added the 50hp motor (10hp too big), battery, fuel and live bait tank down the back, I did not have a lot of transom water clearance. I ended up adding a rear well, which gave me an extra 5'' of clearance and peace of mind.

That went well from 94-2001, venturing out to Boltons and East Reef (4-5k from the Joey) on the calm days.

2001 saw me upgrade the a 4.5m Quintrex 1981 Lazeabout - comes with an outboard well, and a lot more transom water clearance. I still have to pick the days offshore. If it is too windy, or rough, I stick to the harbours.

Well after all the responses I think I will be sticking to the lake (Macquarie) and the harbour (Newcastle) to build up some experience. I think my boat is probably suitable for just about that (my boat is in one of the other forum topics about "identifying this tinnie" - that was one of the reasons I wanted to have it identified so that I could find out what it was really designed for.....but it is yet to be positively identified). Since I got the motor secondhand, it will be good to build up a working history with it which might give me a sense of its reliability as well (40HP Tohatsu '99 - 50hrs use). I certainly look forward to being to head out to the open and will sit back when I can and watch to see how others get across the bar (Swansea). It would be good to go out with an experienced boatie in my old tinnie just to let me know what their thoughts are about its capability (and hopefully not to just tell me how bad it may be - got to start somewhere aye). Might post something on the newcastlefishing.com.au website to see if I can get some willing veteran to take it for a run (if anyone reading is local and think you might be one for it, let me know). The open waters might just have to wait till I get a bigger and newer boat though. Thanks again guys!

Oh, what transom height (or freeboard) do you guys, who do go out, have?

Caribe

The bar at swansea is one of the best on the coast in that you have a lot of protection from the south and the secret to there is not to go to close to moonee island. You go out on the right side of the channel and head left towards the beach and then straighten up. If unsure stay in the lee of the island and watch the swell as some big waves come round the corner of the island and this is where heaps of accidents occur.

I have a 4.3 boat and regularly head 5 miles straight out to chase flatties.

oh and remember to carry all the gear and wear life jackets across the bar and even though its not required once you pass the bar always try and have an inflatable life jacket on or a pf2 on as these let you move around and give some flotation in case of an accident.

I had a 1981 4m quintrex breezeabout, and once I added the 50hp motor (10hp too big), battery, fuel and live bait tank down the back, I did not have a lot of transom water clearance. I ended up adding a rear well, which gave me an extra 5'' of clearance and peace of mind.

Martinc - Hey mate I was wondering if you had any pictures of the well that you put on the back (wondering how you went about it).

Lancer - anychance of annotating this picture of Swansea about what you are saying. (Can just do it in MS paint)

swansea1.jpg

I actually was diving with a friend just off the rocks (marked by the red dot on the above picture) and came across someones gear - obviously didn't pick their day. Found a motor (which was only about 4 hp from memory) and a few rods and other fishing gear. Certainly wouldn't catch me heading out there in a tinnie with a 4hp motor (unless it was their auxillary).

Edited by caribet

I have got a 4.3m Quintrex with a 35hp Johnson.

Going through the heads can be tricky as it gets very sloppy.

I have no trouble down south launching from Bellambi jetty, but you have to pick your days. I wouldn't go outside if it was above 1m swell. Shellharbour, Crookhaven Heads & Orient Point are also good launching points if you are further south.

There are plenty of areas you can fish in Botany Bay, Sydney Harbour, Broken Bay, Pittwater, Hawkesbury River and Georges river when the weather is rough.

Cheers

Greg

mate, i had a look at your other post and im sure its an old 14ft clark. These are quiet seaworthy boats, i own a clark 14ft centre console and regularly fish the inshore reefs up to a few k's offshore depending on the conditions. I actually downgraded from a much larger boat because i wasnt using it as much as i wanted because it was too heavy too tow, couldnt launch by myself, was bit heavy on fuel etc and i havnt looked back, getting heaps more fishing done with the smaller boat. but you have study the weather and if it looks like any strong change is gonna come throuh dont go, generally seabreeze.com.au gets it right for major changes.

cheers Luke

hello there fellow :1fishing1:

i upsized from a 15foot to a 5.7m 6 months ago and i find that my 5.7m is great outside but even when i had the 15 footer i still went outside but kept my eyes on the water for any change in the movement and always listen to the coast guard and fellow fishos when outside, but like every one said , just pick your days , you may head out to the heads 10 times a month but find that you can only get out side 2 out of those 10 days,

mate, i had a look at your other post and im sure its an old 14ft clark. These are quiet seaworthy boats, i own a clark 14ft centre console and regularly fish the inshore reefs up to a few k's offshore depending on the conditions.

cheers Luke

Hi there Luke. Do you have any photos of the 14 footer that you have now (thought I suspect it is a new one rather than like the old one that I have)? Also, what do you have on the back? Thanks

Edited by caribet

Martinc - Hey mate I was wondering if you had any pictures of the well that you put on the back (wondering how you went about it).

Lancer - anychance of annotating this picture of Swansea about what you are saying. (Can just do it in MS paint)

swansea1.jpg

I actually was diving with a friend just off the rocks (marked by the red dot on the above picture) and came across someones gear - obviously didn't pick their day. Found a motor (which was only about 4 hp from memory) and a few rods and other fishing gear. Certainly wouldn't catch me heading out there in a tinnie with a 4hp motor (unless it was their auxillary).

What a great picture of the swansea bar.

Lets use your red dot as a starting point.

As you can see there is reasonably deep water on the right hand side coming along the sea wall to the red dot and the waves here are usually pretty good.

The lighter area across from the red dot is the sand bar. In good conditions and flat water you can cross here but I would get into the routine of not doing it as one day you just need a big wave through there and you will get a breaker and thats not nice.

If you go out from the red dot there is an island. Look at the white tip (on the ocean side) of the island, this catches the southerly swell and from this pic the sea is calm but it still generated a white end on the island.

The warning here is that in a 1-2 metre swell a wave can be generated up to 3 - 4 metres coming around the island. This wave usually dies out half way between the island and the left hand breakwall. In behind the island the water is protected in a southerly.

So if you go out, watch the waves around the island and go slightly left of the island and straighten up you should not have any problems.

Coming in, again dont go to close to the island and watch out for the waves behind you.

• 10 years later...
On 07/11/2006 at 6:58 PM, caribet said:

Hey mate I've got a 12' quintrex dart lake boat with raised transom and 2016 20hp Honda 4 stroke even tho I don't take it out far maby 3-4km at max I am very weary I have been caught out only being a few km out im not the most experienced captain but there is only one way to learn just just make sure you have all the correct safety gear, that your motor and boat are in very good condition and good idea to log on with local maritime services before you head out so they know where you are ?

Happy fishing