Growth On Flathead

Jethro

Question

Hi all

I caught a flathead a while ago up in Lake Macquarie. When I cleaned it, it had smome small yellow growths around its gills... see photo..

post-44-1162965208_thumb.jpg

I havent noticed it any flathead I have caught in the past.

Any know what it might be??

Hi all

I caught a flathead a while ago up in Lake Macquarie. When I cleaned it, it had smome small yellow growths around its gills... see photo..

post-44-1162965208_thumb.jpg

I havent noticed it any flathead I have caught in the past.

Any know what it might be??

Hi mate. I've heard of cases like this before - never encountered this myself. I'l have a search around.

Flattieman.

I sent an email to fisheries a few eeks ago now... and still no reply.

Does anyone have an email address other than the genral one on the DPI site??

Hi Jethro,

Just spoke to a fellow named Kevin Rowling at Fisheries NSW and he is more than willing to take a look at the photo to try to identify it. He thinks, without seeing the photo, that it is probably a parasite of some kind.

If he can't identify it, he said he'd pass it on to his colleague at The Australian Museum to see if he can identify it.

Kevin sounded like a very helpful bloke, so can you email him the picture. Also include in the email, the type of flattie and where it was caught.

Kevin's email address is kevin.rowling@dpi.nsw.gov.au

I'm sure we'd all love to find out what it was, so please post any response you get from him.

He also said that by sending it to the general info email address, as you already did, someone would have eventually replied, but at least now we have a direct contact at Fisheries for these type of things.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Hi all

I received the following repy this morning....

It appears that the 'growths' in your flathead are likely to be cysts formed by a microspridian parasite. They certainly look very similar to some photos which have been published in journal articles which show 'white cysts, grossly visible' on the gills arches of the inffected fish.

There are many species of such parasites which infect marine fish (and most other members of the animal kingdom, including insects, reptiles and even humans in some cases) and they usually occur in a specific tissue (e.g. the intestine, stomach or as in the case of your fish, the gills and / or buccal cavity). Microspridia are very small, primitive true-celled organisms, which are not really well known to science. I have come across quite a few examples reported for fish, and generally the infection does not seem to be deleterious to the host organism (unless they are stressed in some other way, e.g. by temperature stress or lack of food). Although some types of microsporidians infect humans, they appear to be fairly host specific and so do not present a danger to humans consuming the flesh of an infected fish (especially if the flesh is cooked first).

To confirm that the growths are indeed such cysts would require histological examination using a microscope, which is not in our normal line of work here and would probably need to be done at the Museum or a parisitology department of a University. The occureence of one (or a small number of) infected fish in Lake Macquarie is not something to be concerned about - however if you come across many infected fish within a catch they that may require further investigation.

Hope this information helps - please contact me again if you require any further information.

This is the 1st of these growths that I have seen. I will have to keep an eye out tyo see if we come across any more

Hi all

I received the following repy this morning....

It appears that the 'growths' in your flathead are likely to be cysts formed by a microspridian parasite. They certainly look very similar to some photos which have been published in journal articles which show 'white cysts, grossly visible' on the gills arches of the inffected fish.

There are many species of such parasites which infect marine fish (and most other members of the animal kingdom, including insects, reptiles and even humans in some cases) and they usually occur in a specific tissue (e.g. the intestine, stomach or as in the case of your fish, the gills and / or buccal cavity). Microspridia are very small, primitive true-celled organisms, which are not really well known to science. I have come across quite a few examples reported for fish, and generally the infection does not seem to be deleterious to the host organism (unless they are stressed in some other way, e.g. by temperature stress or lack of food). Although some types of microsporidians infect humans, they appear to be fairly host specific and so do not present a danger to humans consuming the flesh of an infected fish (especially if the flesh is cooked first).

To confirm that the growths are indeed such cysts would require histological examination using a microscope, which is not in our normal line of work here and would probably need to be done at the Museum or a parisitology department of a University. The occureence of one (or a small number of) infected fish in Lake Macquarie is not something to be concerned about - however if you come across many infected fish within a catch they that may require further investigation.

Hope this information helps - please contact me again if you require any further information.

This is the 1st of these growths that I have seen. I will have to keep an eye out tyo see if we come across any more

Good stuff Jethro. Glad we all finally have an answer to the riddle of the poxy gills.

Good to know also that it isn't going to make you sick if you eat the fish too.

I hope your fish was a one off and that Lake Mac is still disease free.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi guys

I fished Lake Macquarie again on the weekend and got a few flatties between 55-73cm. I took 3 home for a feed. Out of those 3 fish 2 had the same growth. It was not as pronounced as the fish in the photo but it was definately still there.

On the up side my mate took 2 fish home and it was not in either of them..

I kept one of the heads and have sent an email off to Kevin at the DPI to see what he says

That's good Jethro. Glad you kept it's head and sent another email off to Kevin.

This where Fishraider members working with bodies like Fisheries can have a positive impact on the state of health of our waterways.

It's mostly through input from Rec. fishos that things like this come to light.

In Kevin's email ,he seemed genuinly interested in this problem and at least they will perhaps look into what in causing this phenomenon.

Please keep us all posted.

Cheers,

Pete.