Marine Parks And Our Future As Recreational Fishos

To all Fishraiders...... As fisherman, we are a pretty lay back bunch..We love the feeling of freedom that Mother Ocean brings us..... We love the thought of fishing a lonely beach maybe with the familly, catching a bream, salmon or tailor.We love a relaxing blackfish session off the rocks enjoying the serenity of it all.

This may all end for us at the next elections with the Greens wanting more and more Marine Park Sanctuaries. It just annoys me so much that a goverment has treated us fishermaen with total contempt ..a government who has told us that we will not be fishing in areas like Coff's harbour,Seal Rocks, Broughton Island, Cabbage Tree Island, Jervis Bay and Batemans Bay.

These decisions have been made without any Australian Scientific Research and have been hammered at us in a manner reminicent to an Iron Curtain era.

The NSW recreational fisho is being used as a political pawn by a frail NSW Labour government, relying and cow towing and brown nosing to the Greens for preferences. This I find quite sickening.

It is wrong but because we are a lay back bunch who have never really had to stand up for our rights we find it unpleasant to make noise.......Well! people the time has come to take action, not just for our era but for future generations.

Don't think that once the idiots get their way that there won't be more closures there will.....Such colures will drive us all out over seven kilometres to catch a fish off our own shorelin.

For small boat offshore users a danger element becomes a factor with bad weather etc..

I am a greeny, for example I was on the original commitee in the mid seventies which drew up the current tag and release program.......We also banned the killing of marlin on our boats Broadbill and Billfisher for the past 16 years....We are proud of the fact that our boats insist on catch levels below NSW bag limits.

We havea sign on our boats that reads

"REAL MEN DON'T KILL MARLIN LET THEM GO!"

This is an attitude that we are proud of...it is a respect for the ocean and it's inhabidents that we really do care about and like to pass on to our clients as ambassadors in the job we do as charter skippers, as we take people fishing from Australia and all over the world.

I take great pride in my accumulated knowledge of Mother Ocean, her birdlife, her fish species etc.

I have seen in my short lifetime spanning 50 years, oceanic species dissapear or endangered......all because of bad management by commercial fishermen and government governing bodies. I have experienced actions taken on species under threat, all too late.... species that we will never see re group.

This has been saddening and needless, but alas the dollar must come first and let's face it the Japanese must have their Sashimi and don't mind paying for it either! So lets allow them to eat our oceans into marine deserts.

So as dedicated greeny I am concerned and will continue to fight for our oceanic fish population.

However when it comes to our inshore coastal species, especially our pelagic, migratory species (I talk now of the coastal dwelling fish like salmon, tailor,blackfish,long tails and bream) these species are certainly copping a bit of pressure from the coastal commercial netters and trappers, but the poor old recreational angler could not harm these stocks under current bag limits whi;le their bums point to the ground......(which, let's face it how many times do we bag out in a season)

Despite of these facts we are now being dictated to by a Government party inc NSW Fisheries headed up by Macdonald who sits on his hands and says bugger all. The Dept Of Wildlife (what the hell are these clowns involved with a section of ocean that has been governed by NSW Fisheries since "Adam was a boy" doing in the scheme of things any way?)..................maybe it is their way of controlling massive areas of coastline and being able to crawl and grovel a little further to the greens.

If you really do care and I really hope you do, then remove any previous traditional thought on voting for a party from your thoughts. It is natural that we have familly voting habits etc....and consider voting for the future of fishermans rights ....Vote for THE FISHING PARTY and LEAVE THE GREENS OFF ALL TOGETHER ...... I have had meetings with Shadow Minister Duncan Gay and he has assured that a total review of Marine Parks will be taken if the Nats are elected and I do believe him. I ALSO BELIEVE HE IS A GOOD MAN AND HAS GIVEN US THESE ASSURANCES IN WRITING.There is light at the end of the tunnel if we act now.

You know, I have never been a political person and I love this magnificent country we call OZ but I am MAD because Marine Park No fish Zones are wrong and we have to stand up for what's right and whats' Australian and being dictated to by idiots who don't know what they are talking about does not fall into the Australian way

We will only get one shot at this so let's make it right .....it really is our fishing future...think about your vote in March

I will get Mrs Swordfisherman to add some how to vote details onto this post..........Am I getting old and cranky.......let me know your thoughts ?

All sentiments I agree with Ross, but I also implore people to be informed on what the alternitves being offered to the rec fisho are. We must not forget that it was libreal / Nat goverments who put into place the managment practices that created so many of our current problems, for example do we all remember the kingy traps, longlinning, rapeing of the bluefin fishery all Lib/Nat managment practices. Whilst i agree that we have to fight the green marine park initative, we also have to make sure the bad old days of king traps etc are not brought back by the other mob. Whilst I urge people to fight the M.P's I also urge people to lobby any alternitive to the green/labour goverment to ensure there is no shift the other way and we return to the very bad old days.

Just my thoughts

Phild In reply I agree that all governments have to share the blame here. I think I point that out pretty well in my post. When you talk bluefin you talk Feds when you talk kingfish traps you talk State. Once again my great friend and former State Fisheries Minister Bob Martin was responsible for the banning of same.

After having called several of us fisherman who had accumulated some knowledge to gether and asked us for our thoughts on the hideous things, we told him it will be the ruination of the species. He banned them that year.....A good man that I wish was still Minister He was labour. These drones we are putting up with now have not asked our opinion or done any research on the subject.

As I said I loathe politics but there is only one way forward and that is to change governments I am open to suggestions................ Let's talk about it, there may be a better mouse trap.! But fence sitting is not the answer.

I have to preface this with stating that I am a fairly active member of the Labor Party and have been for quite some time.

I think Ross nailed it with "These drones we are putting up with now have not asked our opinion or done any research on the subject." Unfortunately politics these days seems to be about a quick sound bite, a catch phrase and no real substance. The bulk of those that court the green vote only do so out of self interest whilst the other mob move towards the opposite end of the spectrum for the same reason.

Until recently I havent paid much attention to the marine park issue. I have always had in the back of my mind that they were warranted to a certain extent as there are millions of rec fishos out on any given weekend. I still feel there needs to be some form of control on recreational fishing to stop the eventual loss of species but I dont think this idea is the winner.

Since checking out this site and then doing a bit of self research I have to agree the marine parks are being thrown out there in the same manner as which Bob Carr put up National Parks, that is haphazard with no real idea of why they have chosen areas. How do you go out there and announce marine parks in one breath and then allow the expansion of Port Botany in the next breath!

If pollies didnt bend with the prevailing wind the world would be a better place but unfortunately the only way to change it is make the issue big enough for them to notice.

Ross

I'm with you mate. The major parties are so hopelessly mired in their own idiocy at the moment that they don't deserve our votes (even if we ignore the marine parks issue). The current lack of any politician at the State level who is even remotely competent or honourable makes it pretty easy to ditch them all in favour of a special interest party.

In fact, given the current state of State politics I reckon we may be in a unique position to flex some political clout by getting a good number of votes to the fishing party.

I'm also relieved to see another person who has been forced to reconcile their support of 'Green' practices, like conservation of fish stocks, with their opposition to these unscientific marine parks.

Problem with the fishing party is it seemed to end up with a whiff of "extremist" when it was written up in the press. I dont know if they were or not but they gave the hint of being overrun by Paulines mob.

Maybe there needs to be a broader based group who can attract votes but not be as "far left" as the greens.

Ross

I'm with you mate. The major parties are so hopelessly mired in their own idiocy at the moment that they don't deserve our votes (even if we ignore the marine parks issue). The current lack of any politician at the State level who is even remotely competent or honourable makes it pretty easy to ditch them all in favour of a special interest party.

In fact, given the current state of State politics I reckon we may be in a unique position to flex some political clout by getting a good number of votes to the fishing party.

I'm also relieved to see another person who has been forced to reconcile their support of 'Green' practices, like conservation of fish stocks, with their opposition to these unscientific marine parks.

Thanks fellas ...As I said before I personally hate getting political but I also do not want "No Fish zones" for Fishos with out reason.So then I look at the only other form of attack and that is by the polling booth. That is the beauty of this superb country Freedom of Speech is a wonderful thing Let's talk about it?

Ross

Problem with the fishing party is it seemed to end up with a whiff of "extremist" when it was written up in the press. I dont know if they were or not but they gave the hint of being overrun by Paulines mob.

Maybe there needs to be a broader based group who can attract votes but not be as "far left" as the greens.

Hi Dave/all

There has been numerous back room chats and assumptions promoted about TFP. For those that know me or have been associated with me during my "time and dedicated commitment to fishing in general" always get a bit of a laugh out of it all.

It mostly reflects back on me whatever is said.

TFP has been white-anted (and still is) as being a front for Labor, a stooge for the Libs/Nats, an undercover Green, a front for the commercial fishing industry, one of Malcolm Jones's underhanded political party's and an offshoot of One Nation (no mention of religion yet) along with having numerous other wild agendas. One thing is that we do support the principals of a newly formed lobby group and our meetings with the NSW Coalition have us supporting their way with fishing matters.

It seems you are damned if you are, and damned if you are not, a single issue party.

Fishing is the issue and in association with (Family Values that branch of in many other directions) is why this all happened. Some say any different than that then it would have been just a simple task of joining one of the major party's and becoming a party liner. NOT ON

The following is a political statement made for the coming state election

The Fishing Party

A.B.N: 76 086 236 465

HEAD OFFICE (Federal)

11Watts Close

SINGLETON HEIGHTS NSW 2330

Ph/fax 0265 560338 0432252789

Email: sinali@optusnet.com.au

www.thefishingparty.info

August 15, 2006

THE FISHING PARTY (NSW)- POLITICAL FISHING STATEMENT AND POSITION ON MARINE PARKS

The Fishing Party:-

• Is an independent political party.

• Will support and campaign total access rights for low impact sustainable fishing.

• Will encourage and protect customary and traditional use of the marine resource.

• Will address and campaign on a centre line approach to fisheries management/legislation and (Marine Protected Area’s if proven to be needed).

• Opposes the current/proposed NSW Government Marine Park No-Fishing Zones.

• Will call for a 20 year moratorium on MPA’s, demanding properly funded localised research and all existing zones declared general use.

• Will demand proper stakeholder consultation and participation in the process.

• Will consider no-take fishing zones only if no other action is appropriate.

• Condemns the Labor/Greens Marine Park deal.

• Is campaigning politically to end the NSW Labor 10 year lockout agenda on both the land and water.

• Will continue to oppose the Greens and extremist’s anti-fishing agenda.

• Supports the newly formed lobby group proposals in principal but not limited to, and will participate in their actions if sanctioned.

• Supports in principal, the Coalition Marine Park Election announcement (written one) but not limited to.

• Will liaise with the major parties with sensible fishery management propositions.

• Will support evidenced based science conservation and dismiss emotional rhetoric.

• Will endeavor to get proper and fair funding for fisheries management.

• Will put our ideas in submissions when they are called.

• Will discuss and put relevant matters to Government Ministers.

• Will keep the public informed on important findings and research.

• Will support appropriate Government funded buyouts to the commercial fishing industry on a state-wide basis.

• Will support Total Allowable Catches from a science perspective.

• Will support seasonal closures on a science biomass evaluation.

• Will support the business community for compensation in times of Government controlled business denial through lock-up actions.

• Will push for environmental reform on water quality and quantity.

The Fishing Party has a political commitment to make and is not a lobby group.

There is a need to combat the green dominance of political manipulation which can only be achieved at the voting box and threats to politicians of loosing their seat or governance. The party is trying to offer this in calling for candidates to stand in Labor electorates as the threat and for a chance to get some representation in the important Upper House where the Greens get their power to make deals.

One or even two TFP representatives would be an absolute threat. The Greens are after a fourth representative in John Kaye to further upset the balance. This MUST not happen if you want to remain enjoying and accessing the outdoors.

In the last election TFP promised that if elected the first priority would be to commit to a stakeholder group/committee/board to formulate actions to be taken in the Upper House/Lower house so as to give directions to the member to proceed with. That promise is still the first priority from TFP.

This coming March 2007 NSW Election will see many Crossbenchers (Independent and Party) in the Upper House depart politics. With the two major party’s under control by the Greens it will be a fiasco and whether you are on the land or sea you will be restricted further. Please don’t let it happen.

VOTE 1 The Fishing Party and direct your preferences so Labor or the Greens fail to get them.

Authorised by

Robert Smith

Chairman

The Fishing Party

This statement is true and correct as at the 15th August, 2006 and may be altered in the election campaign. This statement and any alterations will be displayed on the party website- www.thefishingparty.info.

Hi Dave/all

There has been numerous back room chats and assumptions promoted about TFP. For those that know me or have been associated with me during my "time and dedicated commitment to fishing in general" always get a bit of a laugh out of it all.

It mostly reflects back on me whatever is said.

TFP has been white-anted (and still is) as being a front for Labor, a stooge for the Libs/Nats, an undercover Green, a front for the commercial fishing industry, one of Malcolm Jones's underhanded political party's and an offshoot of One Nation (no mention of religion yet) along with having numerous other wild agendas. One thing is that we do support the principals of a newly formed lobby group and our meetings with the NSW Coalition have us supporting their way with fishing matters.

It seems you are damned if you are, and damned if you are not, a single issue party.

Fishing is the issue and in association with (Family Values that branch of in many other directions) is why this all happened. Some say any different than that then it would have been just a simple task of joining one of the major party's and becoming a party liner. NOT ON

The following is a political statement made for the coming state election

The Fishing Party

A.B.N: 76 086 236 465

HEAD OFFICE (Federal)

11Watts Close

SINGLETON HEIGHTS NSW 2330

Ph/fax 0265 560338 0432252789

Email: sinali@optusnet.com.au

www.thefishingparty.info

August 15, 2006

THE FISHING PARTY (NSW)- POLITICAL FISHING STATEMENT AND POSITION ON MARINE PARKS

The Fishing Party:-

• Is an independent political party.

• Will support and campaign total access rights for low impact sustainable fishing.

• Will encourage and protect customary and traditional use of the marine resource.

• Will address and campaign on a centre line approach to fisheries management/legislation and (Marine Protected Area’s if proven to be needed).

• Opposes the current/proposed NSW Government Marine Park No-Fishing Zones.

• Will call for a 20 year moratorium on MPA’s, demanding properly funded localised research and all existing zones declared general use.

• Will demand proper stakeholder consultation and participation in the process.

• Will consider no-take fishing zones only if no other action is appropriate.

• Condemns the Labor/Greens Marine Park deal.

• Is campaigning politically to end the NSW Labor 10 year lockout agenda on both the land and water.

• Will continue to oppose the Greens and extremist’s anti-fishing agenda.

• Supports the newly formed lobby group proposals in principal but not limited to, and will participate in their actions if sanctioned.

• Supports in principal, the Coalition Marine Park Election announcement (written one) but not limited to.

• Will liaise with the major parties with sensible fishery management propositions.

• Will support evidenced based science conservation and dismiss emotional rhetoric.

• Will endeavor to get proper and fair funding for fisheries management.

• Will put our ideas in submissions when they are called.

• Will discuss and put relevant matters to Government Ministers.

• Will keep the public informed on important findings and research.

• Will support appropriate Government funded buyouts to the commercial fishing industry on a state-wide basis.

• Will support Total Allowable Catches from a science perspective.

• Will support seasonal closures on a science biomass evaluation.

• Will support the business community for compensation in times of Government controlled business denial through lock-up actions.

• Will push for environmental reform on water quality and quantity.

The Fishing Party has a political commitment to make and is not a lobby group.

There is a need to combat the green dominance of political manipulation which can only be achieved at the voting box and threats to politicians of loosing their seat or governance. The party is trying to offer this in calling for candidates to stand in Labor electorates as the threat and for a chance to get some representation in the important Upper House where the Greens get their power to make deals.

One or even two TFP representatives would be an absolute threat. The Greens are after a fourth representative in John Kaye to further upset the balance. This MUST not happen if you want to remain enjoying and accessing the outdoors.

In the last election TFP promised that if elected the first priority would be to commit to a stakeholder group/committee/board to formulate actions to be taken in the Upper House/Lower house so as to give directions to the member to proceed with. That promise is still the first priority from TFP.

This coming March 2007 NSW Election will see many Crossbenchers (Independent and Party) in the Upper House depart politics. With the two major party’s under control by the Greens it will be a fiasco and whether you are on the land or sea you will be restricted further. Please don’t let it happen.

VOTE 1 The Fishing Party and direct your preferences so Labor or the Greens fail to get them.

Authorised by

Robert Smith

Chairman

The Fishing Party

This statement is true and correct as at the 15th August, 2006 and may be altered in the election campaign. This statement and any alterations will be displayed on the party website- www.thefishingparty.info.

Bob,

Thanks for that info..... As I read your charter and I cannot see how we can be in any way suspicious of your party. You guys are the best deal in this issue. Youv'e got my vote, just keep up the good work....As I've said before about these "No Fish Zones". They are the most significant proposed changes I have seen in a Lifetime of Fishing and we cannot just lie down and let it happen If it were right it would be a different matter.

But it is so bloody wrong and a bad deal for all of us

Thanks again Bob you are a champ.

Bob

The statement from TFP is logical, direct and distinctly pro angler. No one could condemn the party based on that sort of information.

The problem is that the vast majority of voters dont even read party literature that is dumped in their letterbox let alone go looking for statements like yours. Small parties have major problems getting their message out with one issue groups finding it even harder.

The majority of single issue parties have only ever been elected accidentally. Family First was essentially elected in the last Fed election because the Vic ALP tried to play games with senate distributions and the Shooters Party won't ever get another John Tingle.

The Greens were essentially a lobby group right throughout the seventies untill they watered down their hardline approach and broadened their horizons to take in wider issues than distinct wilderness ones.

I think if one issue parties are to win election to the senate they need a damn big issue and unfortunately fishing isnt big enough to make the whole of NSW take notice. Needless to say the lower house is completely out of the question.

This is not meant to be a direct shitpotting of the Fishing Party but simply a statement that if issues like fishing are to be heard by the public my view is they need to be attached to wider agendas that may attract a greater cross-section of the voters.

Dave

Bob

I think if one issue parties are to win election to the senate they need a damn big issue and unfortunately fishing isn't big enough to make the whole of NSW take notice.

Dave

Totally agree with that statement.

Whilst I enjoy fishing and am mighty pissed off with the way these marine parks have been thrown upon us, there are more important issues which effect me and my family which will decide how I vote.

Creating marine parks and the like isn't going to take precedence (sp) over taxes, water, roads, education, health, employment etc.

I'll vote for what's best for my family, not what's best for me.

cheers

Hooky

I have just read a reply to a piece I wrote in the St George Leader about Marine Parks and "No Fish Zones" in my column "ON THE HOOK" which I have written for 20 years. The reply says Quote;

"I expect most people..........inc many fishers support the idea (ie marine no fish zones)

Today we have bag limits...but we surely need a few off limits to any fishing. :ranting2: We may then find that our catch actually increases in the adjacent areas....It isn't rocket science" unquote

Thanks Mr Mike Robertson of Como

The problem in your comment is that closing off one sector on fish that are migratory only means they get more pressure on them when they move to the other area down the track a bit, where a fisho can fish.....it isn't rocket science at all it is common sense, but unfortunatly you are not in tune with the real problem.

What about the camping reserve owners, the NSW anglers who pay NSW fisheries for the right to fish NSW waters,the charter boats, the bait and tackle shops, the local store and the families who have fished these places on their Xmas holidays for generations

This is the sort of uneducated crap is what we are up against.

Why don't we just cease all recreational fishing in NSW waters, imagine that, we would be culling the fish in 5 years if this theory was true.

It's just like the comment that the advisor to the Marine Parks said......"Well you ask any one and they will say.......We don't catch as many fish to day as we used to"

MMMM that's Scientific proof I guess.

Oh! well back tio the battle field! :mad3:

The single issue should not be a problem and does not need to have statewide support. The Senate candidate of any party only needs approx 175,000 1st preference votes out of 3.9 million to get a first up spot of the 21 seats.

The government rests with the House of Reps and that will either be Labor or the Coalition.

Your quote> Creating marine parks and the like isn't going to take precedence over taxes, water, roads, education, health, employment etc. is certainly correct to form government but the Senate is a place to review ALL legislation including FISHING. What party does this for you.

Also with having organised and united SINGLE issues campaigning in the Lower House seats it draws attention to some decisions. It has taken the greens 15 years to attract the attention they are getting now. Why? Their policies would bankrupt Australia and there wouldn't be enough caves to live in let alone being able to go back spearing fish or some other meal if they were in government. Extreme thinking yes but quite real.

Whether TFP is seen as single issue or not the potential of being in the system far outweighs being negative

and besides you can always give your 2nd preference to the party that you want to rule your life meaning if TFP is knocked out your vote is not wasted.

Bob Smith

Guest danielinbyron

I think that the 2. biggest dangers for TFP with this issue is 1. blowing there load to early before and election .. so that the issue dissapears into the quagmire of polotix . 2. Polarising what could be its support base with anti green sentiment....

I agree that the parks impact on the people that have been improving stocks by funding buyouts of nonsustainable fishing businesses that the govt. had liscensed.. US . REC FISHOS .. Is profoundly stupid and approaches treachory in its exploitation of good peoples , good will toward the environement while achieving nothing for the environement much at all.

The marine parks have v few posative factors besides increased buyouts.{FUNDED BY US}

There lines in the water and the sand will mean nothing if water quality isn't improved , actual science is gathered and real policing of obligations to international treatys is undertaken.

The mpa has done more damage to the environement i fish with there signs then all the guys i know whove fished there for the last fifty years put together... do they think they'll fund further buyouts with the money they'll fine us . Or don't they need us anymore now that we've payed ... Its like ordering a meal and just receiving the bill.

I THINK THAT THERE IS DEFINATELY ENOUGH DISATISFACTION TO GET SOME ONE FROM THE FISHING PARTY INTO THE SENATE. I just hope that they are worthy of our vote.

Daniel

Getting someone elected is only half the effort. The supporters need to be involved throughout the important part of representation so I hope TFP is seen as being more than just a protest vehicle against Marine Parks. ie Being part of the interaction of duties and not whinge from the bar stool and also I(if it's me) would hate to be a fishing representative and cop the wrath of fishos for not being up to it. There needs to be a good understanding of the effort and commitment put into this exercise so far. AND that is unpaid commitment I might add. The TFP idea started in 2000 and it is only now that the fishing community has realised that the NIMBY effect is real.

I would envisage having localised groups or branches being formed as part of all this and also getting appropriate fishing representatives on all the different advisory committees.

Also we are all greenies at heart on a lot of matters but that being extreme and radical causes the major anti-green sentiments and not just from anglers.

The biggest danger I see is whether or not TFP can get their message out to the potential supporters without costing an arm and a leg. The MP issue won't be going away before the March election. We trust that TFP aims are being talked about and spread by word of mouth in the fishing media and columns.

Bob Smith

I haven't formed an exact idea about the implications of marine parks for the environment or for rec fishos.

This however is certainly no place for a sign:

sign-piss-2.jpg

Dan and I have raised two very serious questions which maybe the parks authorities can clarify.

"Are you allowed to stand in a marine park area and cast into a sanctuary zone?"

"What happens if you hook up a fish in the marine park and it runs into a sanctuary zone?"

The other great things about the above sign is that it is placed square in the middle of a somewhat dangerous rocky ledge pathway making one awkwardly climb past it to enter the area designated A O K to fish in. And to even see it you need to hike and climb down thru a whole section of "sanctuary" area.

Its a great spot to fish around the cape but because of its inaccessibility and nature of the terrain there are I guess not too many people who actively fish it.

A beautiful spot to fish but what I really dont need is some overweight Dior wearing gold jewellery encrusted 40 year old woman who has sweated her way up the hill to try n see a whale and has a blast radius of chemical deodorant or some equally powerfull noxious perfume questioning me that 'This is a marine park, your not allowed to fish here.' I was amazed that day of Dan's gentlemenly and informative answer; "Only some areas are sanctuary zones."

Guest danielinbyron

The bladder goes at that point of the walk every time.

The other thing about our local MPark is that it can be somewhat o a health and safety issue which equates to us having to fish ledges that may not be as safe that particular day as the ones now designated as sanctuary zones . Depending on the direction of the swell.. Or not fish at all when its perfectly safe to fish the SZ ledges ... This equates to a ban..And believe me the weather and the lanscape polices this place with no need for signs or lines or glossy maps .

You would be lucky to find much of a sign that fisherman had been there at all , and its been fished for fifty + years .. These guys come down for 10 minutes and whack an ugly sign in.. They didn't even take there rubbish with them when they left in some places.

As far as rec fishing is concerned i belive that between the bag limits and the weather, there is protection enough, although i'd like to see some mods to bag limits.

As far as how it effects our fishing Ewan the only posative impact will be due to the pro liscence buyouts which were well under way and funded by the Rec Fish Lisence dollar.Although there are liscences bought i see no less pro boats on the 4 mile when we come home at night. As there is nothing to stop them coming down from as far as Maroochydore.

The rest is all a stitch up.. Particularly off the boat when you know the wind will come from the south when it gets up. There'll be no more heading to Julians to motor back with the breaze or tie off to the buoys behind the rock. Or the use off the sanctuary of the bay when weather turns foul.

But the guys whove got it worst are the Kayak fisherman... Zero emission small boat fishing .. The marine park has stitched them right up. Cos lets face it there a big problem..Compared to the minor issues of water quality and inability to make or police reliable international agreements on the conservation of species..

We're all getting sold a furfy even the greens .

Loved the weak bladder story....... I think that a I would suffer the same or worse.If we want a lesson in Green zones, yellow zones and every other frigging zone you could imagine . Go for a fish in Far North QLD.

Both my wife and myself are fortunate to sail the reef with my mate Hooksy through the Barrier Reef on his yacht every year...To travel through the areas around Townsville, Cape Upstart, Cape Bowling Green, Hinchinbrook , Polaris, Orphius and Dunk Islands would sompletely confuse any fisherman.

Troll lures for 5 mile, pull then in take one hook off, pull them in again, then a no fish zone and on it goes. All these zones organised by people idiots who have not a clue.

And now we are copping the same in NSW.....keep belly aching and getting weaker bladders and bowels if we have to.

Guest danielinbyron

If it were bent in the right direction it would make a great fish cleaning bench.. Someone i showed the path to took them down there to do that :mad3: .. First they spray painted a rock.. didn't even use line marker which would wash off..

They're to scared to get down the other path and put the other one in so it doesn't really mean anything either... There should be another one, get this, about 200mt right of photo with signs pointed opposite... what a crock..And I don't care if they are employing traditional owners as laborers , who by the way are always telling us to fish in the no take zone cos they've spotted fish in there..

These MPA guys obviously , have no sense of place whatsoever.

The other thing is that while we're mostly sticking to the rules they aren't policing it whatsoever... and we're about the only ones sticking to the rules .. The other guys have just said its not there marine park stuff it come get me. The climb is a bit beyond there pay grade i think..

I would be fully prepared to abide by any rules that had reason behind them without a grudge or any hesitation whatsoever..This is just stitching up a beautiful place that polices itself and pushing round the little guy..

Maybe all NSW fisherman should start a revolution "The Marine Park Maulers" A loyal band of fisho's armed with rusty oyster knifes and weak bladders..... we could take them on with great gusto.

Motto "We will fight them on the beaches, wrestle them on the rocks and throw them to the sharks until we gain access to those Bloody Marine Parks.......................................................Viva the revolution!

Anyone want to sign up? :wife:

Guest danielinbyron

I am tempted to take them on . Fish as if the zone wasn't there and take it up in court if charged... I could argue slack and innaproprate signage , health and safety of ledges , express permission from traditional Awakwal owners..I could argue with the information I've got from this site until blue in the face.

My biggest fear isn't losing and paying $500 but losing and then them shutting down more or all of the ledges at the lighthouse..

Daniel,

Yeh that's an option Maybe if all NSW fishermen rebelled and refused to pay $30.00 per annum How would that work? At least they'd know we are not happy

I've been thinking about these closures and their effect on different species...Given that the species we are talking about in the south are mostly migratory...... Fish like kings,bonito, blackfish,long tails,bream,tailor and salmon...All these species move through area they do not live there It is a life of constant migration. Some go into estuaries, some just move around from off shore reef to reef....Given that this is fact and we know it is. When they move out of the sanctuary zone won't there be double the amount of fishing pressure from pros and recos?

I THINK THAT THEY ARE THAT FAR INTO "GREEN BROWN NOSING" :05: THAT THEY WOULD NOT KNOW!