Catching Hoodlums In Sydney Harbour

namesay

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Craig Mc Gill guided me to my first ever kingfish in Middle Harbour!! I have read EVERYTHING he has written on fishing the harbour. I think I have memorised his articles on fishing middle harbour word for word!!! Probably the best squidder I have seen.....mucho respect for this man. CHeers Kelvin

[/quote MUCHO respect to you kelvin.... siiiiiick fish...Thanks for the helpful tips on my local area. You are an inspiration to many people, and what do they say. jealousy is a curse, or something like that. :beersmile:

Great King......looks beautiful....well done

They taste OK as well...... :074: Cheers Kelvin

Custom rods can take a while, mate... I'll be out there soon enough! :biggrin2::thumbup::yahoo: ... I'm getting the reel as a Chrissy present too.

Flattieman.

I didn't know santa worked for shimano!!!!! Better be a good boy and send my letter to the north pole. Will be waiting for rudolph for that new jigwrex gear. :biggrin2: Cheers kelvin

Hey Kelvin,

That fish looks familiar. Didn't have a gaf hole in him did he? :thumbup: Great fish mate. I'm putting the boat on the car and getting back to some serious fishing, well after Christmas maybe. :( Don't let anyone knock you for sharing your experience. For us weekday/desk bound fisho's it helps "keep the feeling." How'd you think No.1 son would go on that one :biggrin2: I reckon he'd give it a good pasting.

Cheers,

Brian P.

He caught one about 8kg a coupla months ago. Still thinks he has caught the BIGGEST kingie in the world! Even though I have boated several bigger ones ...his is the best. Has all the makings of a good fisherman :1prop: CHeers Kelvin

Guest johblow

I don't think I would be affordable if I go by my usual hourly rate!!!! :1yikes: Got a "Dr." next to my name so I think I'll keep my day job. :biggrin2: Cheers Kelvin

Ah its alright, medicare will cover it, no?! Wot about private health insurance hahahaha

He caught one about 8kg a coupla months ago. Still thinks he has caught the BIGGEST kingie in the world! Even though I have boated several bigger ones ...his is the best. Has all the makings of a good fisherman :1prop: CHeers Kelvin

Must be genetic. He'll be giving the old man tips soon :074:

:1yikes::1yikes::thumbup: top fish mate welldone. what size is your torsa..

I got the 16 as it is small. I wanted a small and light reel as my children have a hard time with bigger ones. Also unlike other reels, in the torsa range being small doesn't mean it is engineered down. Same drag area same everything as the larger models just a smaller/narrower spool. Thought about the Avet or as they are marketed here as the Black Magic..but Torsa is waaay smoother.

ALso the narrow spool means you don't have to thumb the line...with rampaging kingies on braid and kids fingers this is important. Don't want any unnecessary amputations!!!! :1prop: . Holds more than enough line for ALL my current fishing needs...over 300meters of braid.THought about the 16 N which has a narrower spool still but 16 is great for me. Beautiful beautiful reel. CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Must be genetic. He'll be giving the old man tips soon :074:

It has already happened!!! They tell me where to go, how to rig up, whether I am trolling too fast...etc. I have a coupla really bad "back seat" fishermen around. They think it is a bad day if they don't get to catch half a dozen kings each!!! Talk about being spoilt. CHeers Kelvin

Great fish mate, well done. Any idea how heavy it was?

I normally carry a set of spring scales mainly to set my drag. But my run of bad luck with equipment has meant that the scales have rusted out...didn't get a chance to weigh him so don't know. I would guess the length to be 110-115cm .

Had a bad month for equipment failures....trailer bearings, electric motor going down, broken rod holder, broken biat pump, broken scales, broken downrigger clips, broken reels...etc. Hope DEc is better. CHeers KElvin

I normally carry a set of spring scales mainly to set my drag. But my run of bad luck with equipment has meant that the scales have rusted out...didn't get a chance to weigh him so don't know. I would guess the length to be 110-115cm .

Had a bad month for equipment failures....trailer bearings, electric motor going down, broken rod holder, broken biat pump, broken scales, broken downrigger clips, broken reels...etc. Hope DEc is better. CHeers KElvin

Mate we all have them once in a while.......so far for December i have had a Downrigger handle fall off, Radio stop working, NOt to mentioned me dropping and breaking my $700 GPS unit last month.....all part of fishing........Just dont lose that Torsa.....you would be spewing

What a King! Just got a boat and am going hunting soon on it.... Any idea's where to catch the squid??

Catching squid is the single biggest impediment to catching hoods. They can be easy one day and gone the next. I always wished I had a squid farm. I get asked this question constantly but with kings catching the bait is often harder than getting the fish.

There are recognised squid grounds but they can be found anywhere. Where you source your squid is different each day as your hot spot one day is a cold one the next day.

Try the weed beds, headlands, reefy areas or follow one of the charter boats if you are in doubt! They can be caught inshore, off shore, in the rivers and bays . Squid are where you find them. I constanty have trouble finding enough squid so when YOU find a good spot please let ME know!Cheers Kelvin

Mate we all have them once in a while.......so far for December i have had a Downrigger handle fall off, Radio stop working, NOt to mentioned me dropping and breaking my $700 GPS unit last month.....all part of fishing........Just dont lose that Torsa.....you would be spewing

A couple of months ago I lost a daiwa caldia kix!!! My son put it on the side of the boat and it fell off!!! Had a pro caster rod on it as well.....$6-700 down the drain.

I lost my favourite squid jig ,all my trailer lights have gone as well and my shimano twin power drag washers have had it. Chatters when the fish takes line.....but have been catching fish! So I guess there is some consolation!!

Had a real good look at the new shimano jigwrex rods. Boy they are good value for money. Seriously looking at getting one for the Torsa for the kids. The T curves are a little too long for the littlies and I don't want THEM in the water like my daiwa outfit!! I just hope the equipment failures are past me as the kingie fishing is really hot and the torsa and the stella are CHAINED to the boat when I have my kids with me. Getting into cricket scores with all the fish around! Cheers kelvin

Edited by namesay

A couple of months ago I lost a daiwa caldia kix!!! My son put it on the side of the boat and it fell off!!! Had a pro caster rod on it as well.....$6-700 down the drain.

I lost my favourite squid jig ,all my trailer lights have gone as well and my shimano twin power drag washers have had it. Chatters when the fish takes line.....but have been catching fish! So I guess there is some consolation!!

Had a real good look at the new shimano jigwrex rods. Boy they are good value for money. Seriously looking at getting one for the Torsa for the kids. The T curves are a little too long for the littlies and I don't want THEM in the water like my daiwa outfit!! I just hope the equipment failures are past me as the kingie fishing is really hot and the torsa and the stella are CHAINED to the boat when I have my kids with me. Getting into cricket scores with all the fish around! Cheers kelvin

The new Jigwrex series are absolutely amazing rods........we use one and it feels like a dream when fighting fish....My mate is actually thinking about matching it with a torsa after your glowing recommendations....

Your going to make us go bankrupt......we haven't got a "dr" next to our names, Over the past 6 months i have spent well over $8,000 on Gear from Rods, to tiagras to the new sounder, now i find myself looking at a torsa also.....extremely tempted to grab one....am trying to see if i can track one down overseas

The new Jigwrex series are absolutely amazing rods........we use one and it feels like a dream when fighting fish....My mate is actually thinking about matching it with a torsa after your glowing recommendations....

Your going to make us go bankrupt......we haven't got a "dr" next to our names, Over the past 6 months i have spent well over $8,000 on Gear from Rods, to tiagras to the new sounder, now i find myself looking at a torsa also.....extremely tempted to grab one....am trying to see if i can track one down overseas

I tell ya Netic with the Torsa- as Jewel said "DON"T pick one up if you don't have the money as you'll never put it down". My search for a kingie reel has ended with this reel. FULL STOP!!! You just won't look at ANYTHING else again!

The stella is a great reel but spinning reels are not as useful as you know when it comes to downrigging. THe overheads wins hands down and the Torsa is IT.

As for going bankrupt....I am already broke!!! So another few dollars in debt is not going to make much difference! Just spent over $220 000 for the new noble and new car to tow it! Cheers Kelvin

I tell ya Netic with the Torsa- as Jewel said "DON"T pick one up if you don't have the money as you'll never put it down". My search for a kingie reel has ended with this reel. FULL STOP!!! You just won't look at ANYTHING else again!

The stella is a great reel but spinning reels are not as useful as you know when it comes to downrigging. THe overheads wins hands down and the Torsa is IT.

As for going bankrupt....I am already broke!!! So another few dollars in debt is not going to make much difference! Just spent over $220 000 for the new noble and new car to tow it! Cheers Kelvin

What car are you getting for your tow vehicle? I am thinking of a prado with the new turbo diesel engine for my next car so I can tow a bigger boat. What are other people's favorite tow vehicles?