Interesting One "Marbled Flathead"

mrsswordfisherman

Question

14 answers to this question

It is a very interesting specimen! :1yikes: I've been able to narrow it down to a few species, but I may need a bit more information - specifically about its tail (caudal) fin. Flathead species are most easily determined by the markings on the caudal fin, so if Ben can remember anything about these markings, it would be of great help.

Flattieman.

Caught an interesting 35cm flattie on the weekend in 55m off of Marley and in looking for the answer on what it was I came across this old post.

20180120_104519.thumb.jpg.b5d7c075612911193ee974e3507830d5.jpg

Definitely looks a perfect match to the one in the post including the blue/green fins. Based on the suggestions did some more searching and found the following link to the Australian Museum Marble Flathead and its a definite lock so madasacutsnake was on the money (tail was definitely dark with no markings other than a white edge). Know its an old post to bring up but might help anyone else looking to identify one of these interesting critters in the future.

Cheers,

Rich

23 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Caught an interesting 35cm flattie on the weekend in 55m off of Marley and in looking for the answer on what it was I came across this old post.

20180120_104519.thumb.jpg.b5d7c075612911193ee974e3507830d5.jpg

Definitely looks a perfect match to the one in the post including the blue/green fins. Based on the suggestions did some more searching and found the following link to the Australian Museum Marble Flathead and its a definite lock so madasacutsnake was on the money (tail was definitely dark with no markings other than a white edge). Know its an old post to bring up but might help anyone else looking to identify one of these interesting critters in the future.

Cheers,

Rich

Just out of curiosity were you near the wreck?  As far as I know that area is mostly sand with very little reef.