Tackle Box Setup.....

abitfishy

Hey all,

I'm trying to clean up my tackle mess and wondering how you would suggest setting up those clear tackle boxes. I mainly do estuary aiming at flatties and bream (and bass soon enough).

Should I do 3 - a bream/bass, a flattie and a general (jigheads, hooks etc), or do 2, a bream/bass and a flattie box. I'm thinking 2 might be easier since I also intend taking them on the kayak (with keeper rope securely attached!!)

Your advice and your own experiences would be appreciated...

# 1 SOn and I both got new tackle boxes for Christmas , an we have them set up as follows:

Basic rigging stuff , Big Mouth Hooks , Circle hooks , swivels , sinkers , leader , sinkers all in the top tray.

Less used tackle , bigger sinkers and hooks in the next tray

Lures , SPs , spare line spools etc next,

Then my bulk supplies of hooks , sinkers , swivels etc.

Ross

Thanks for that guys.

I might go for the 2 as I was thinking - I don't much in the way of floats, wire traces, etc etc, but the few bits and pieces I rarely use like that can go in an additional one that I take when I need it.

Since mainly I use SP's & hardbodys, its probably easier to stick to a bream/bass and a flattie 'pack' where I keep the most appropriate goodies. I occasionally use red long shanks and a small sinker with a prawn, so I can keep a few of those in the flattie box.

Thanks again

G'day mate,

I have all my tackle in flat clear trays and just pick the ones I want for the trip I'm doing, that way I can pick and choose depending on what I'm doing and I don't have to cart a massive box around with me all the time.

I have 8 I work with most of the time depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going, and what I'm targetting.

One with Jig Heads

One with BIG plastics

One with big hard body's for trolling outside.

One with small hard bodys for bream/flatties

One with sinkers

One with hooks and swivels

One with Bass/freshwater lures both surface and diving

One with Metals for casting, trolling.

I then have my favourite trolling skirts and live bait rigs on leader wheels so I can grab what I need depending on where I'm fishing.

I have a bag which fits the boxes in the main part of the bag. In the front pocket goes my packets of plastics I want for the day, braid sissors, plyers etc etc. My leader(s) sit in one side pocket, my sunscreen, sunnies and odd bits in the other pocket.

It's all sorted so I can pick and choose tackle to suit my needs depending on where I'm going and what I'm targeting.

And... it's all kept in my tackle cupboard safely and securly locked away with my lighter rods and reels. All my heavier gear which doesn't fit in the cupboard is stored next to it. :biggrin2:

post-237-1167986417_thumb.jpg

Organisation is the key :biggrin2:

Cheers

David.

Geez, and I'm having trouble organising a couple of clear boxes. :(

Thats just obsessive compulsive me thinks............. :wacko:

:074::074:

Too true my friend although I like to think of it as "overly organised" :074: , still... it keeps me off the streets and away from other bad habits... :biggrin2:

Fishing and fishing tackle are my only vices.... :074:

While we're at it, this is how I keep the boxes when fishing. The bag is quite compact but keeps everything extremely well organised and I can put my hands on the exact item I want at a glance. I hate scrambling around for something and not being able to find it - especially when there are fish busting up around me :biggrin2:

post-237-1168038466_thumb.jpg

If I'm wading or fishing from shore - I change to a back pack but same principle.

Cheers

David.

As many will know , David & i fish together on regular occusions.

When I saw his setup decided to do something similiar but with a slight difference as mine needs to be less portable , ie the box is either in the boat or garage .

The point to note is the plastic boxes sit vertical so a lot can be stored in a small place & still be easily accessable.

post-731-1168041840_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Here is my setup - a bit messy at the moment as i have only returned yesterday afternoon from 2 weeks in Forster

boat:

post-1705-1168113610_thumb.jpg

6 x 370 size plastic trays & 2 x 370 (deeper) trays

Left side:

1st = squid jigs

2nd = hooks & swivels

3rd = sinkers

4th = floats, bait jigs, traces, & florocarban leader material

Right side:

1st = trolling lures

2nd = casting lures

3rd = jig heads

4th = soft platics

setup also includes a home made 1800mm wide x 600mm deep x 1800 hight shelf unit for all the remaining boating/fishing gear & a home made 26 rod stand & a 350 litres bait/beer fridge-freezer :thumbup:

post-1705-1168113583_thumb.jpg

post-1705-1168114028_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aron

Aron

I am looking at building a shelf/shelves like yours for my shed. I noticed that it does not seem to have cross pieces of frame but is tied together with the shelves. Do you find this to be stable enough?

closeup

post-1705-1168250764_thumb.jpg

David, Geoff & Aron

I just have to add my comment that I am VERY IMPRESSED with the organisation of your fishing gear.

I continually try different setups but have never succeeded in getting it to your standards.

How marvelous to have everything labeled and easily accessable.

I think my problem probably partly stems from having collected far to much gear.

My husband has suggested that I have enough to start my own tackle shop, which I must agree is probably true.

I did at one time sort hooks, swivels, sinkers etc into fresh and saltwater containers, then found I needed to use some out of each box.

Anyway the suggestions given by those replying to the topic and the photos that have been posted have inspired me once again to ATTEMPT to get it all organised properly.

A great topic.

Claire

Hi Claire!!!! Nice to see you posting here!!! :icon_peace:

I trust all is well in your neck of the woods. Geoff gave me a great report of his trip with you - sounds like you guys had a great time and got some stuff done to your boat as well... great stuff. :biggrin2:

Thanks for your kind comments but I hope you understand you can NEVER have too much tackle.... :074:

Nice to hear from you. Hope you can stick a few reports up from your adventures down south... :thumbup:

Cheers

David.

I did at one time sort hooks, swivels, sinkers etc into fresh and saltwater containers, then found I needed to use some out of each box.

Claire I found a similar problem so made up a smaller box with a mixture of the most commonly or frequently used items , as such , normally only use one box on a days outing.

The larger boxes now tend to be reserve stk or items used when targeting specific species.

post-731-1168466540_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Thanks guys for your help.

Now what I am looking for is those clear tackle containers WITHOUT dividers - I wish to keep SP's and hardbodys in their packs, and unless I go for huge containers and remove the removable dividers (which leaves some space in between the fixed dividers), its a bit tight. Does anyone know where I can get the medium size ones without dividers? I've tried the department stores, $2 shops, a few web sites....

Edited by abitfishy

Thanks guys for your help.

Now what I am looking for is those clear tackle containers WITHOUT dividers - I wish to keep SP's and hardbodys in their packs, and unless I go for huge containers and remove the removable dividers (which leaves some space in between the fixed dividers), its a bit tight. Does anyone know where I can get the medium size ones without dividers? I've tried the department stores, $2 shops, a few web sites....

PLANO WATERPROOF UTILITY BOX 3741

post-1705-1168477508_thumb.jpg

PM'ED YOU WHERE I GOT IT

Gr8 topic people. I organise my lures in much the same way as mottyman. The only difference is that i organise my HB's and SP's by types e.g. Box 1 is all 3'' atomic jerk shads, Box 2 is 3'' Berkley Bass Minnows, Box 3 Squidgy Wrigglers etc. There is usually enuf of a colour range to fill up a box this way.

I noramlly have at least two packets of each colour in the box opened and back up packets in storage ready to go at home. This may sound a little unneccessary but believe me its a pain in the arse when you go to the tackle store to stock up and they out of the sp's you want to buy. This method eleviates the dilemma.

All up i have a stack of tackle trays and just pick what trays to take based on the species i want to target. Simple.