Dolphin Fish

Hounddog

Gday all, I have just got back from South West Rocks with a stash of Dolphin fish( mai mai) or as my Maltese wife calls them Lampukee?????. As everybody I know raves on about how nice these are to eat (Sorry to say but I don't eat fish,YUKK Spit Kaphooyeh!) I was interested to know how is a good way to cook them. My wife Antoinette always chucks what i bring home straight under the griller and grills them whole. Her family then bog in and clean em off down to the bones, then chuck all the heads in a pot to make soup ( Again-YUKK spit kaphooyeh!!!) What is a good way to cook whole fish ?? at least If someone gives me an idea I might be tempted to have a small taste. Somebody give me a good Auzzie recipee.

Thanks,

omega 3 free (hounddog)

Gary.

The way I cook them

after a quick clean score skin with knife along the body smear some butter over each side and some in the gut cavity place a piece of lemon on each side then seal up the foil, you can then place it in an oven or weber style BBQ or straight on to a hot BBQ plate. This in effect steams it in its own juices.

check after 5 mins to see if cooked through, it does not take long because the fish is not that thick.

I use this method on any fish just the way I prefer to eat it.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

The way I cook them

after a quick clean score skin with knife along the body smear some butter over each side and some in the gut cavity place a piece of lemon on each side then seal up the foil, you can then place it in an oven or weber style BBQ or straight on to a hot BBQ plate. This in effect steams it in its own juices.

check after 5 mins to see if cooked through, it does not take long because the fish is not that thick.

I use this method on any fish just the way I prefer to eat it.

Pete

Yeah this is how i was cooking them last year as well...B.E.A.Utiful! they are really easy to over cook though....it takes about 3 mins each side if that, if you cook it too long it becomes really dry and ...

dolphin fish has a really nice flesh and delicate flavours you dont want to overpower them. the recipies listed above are tops just simple additions like lemon and parsley, butter, salt and pepper is whats needed. how you wish to cook them is up to you but grilled, bbq, pan fry its all good as this fish is quality and versatile.

cheers pk.