2 Lb Crystal Fireline

Bream Mad

Hi Raiders,

Just purchased a new heartland 7'6" matched to a laguna 1500 and went the whole hog with 2lb crystal fireline.

Whilst rigging it up with a 2kilo leader I wondered wether i really need one at all.

The fireline is bloody thin 80um whilst the leader is 150um.

If the fireline is realy translusent wouldn't i be better off ditching the leader all together and tying jigs directly to the fireline?

I will be using the combo on sandflats so abrasion resistance does not really matter.

Cheers

BM

Have to agree...

You might get away without a leader in certain situations but I would be using one all the time

Ditto three...whilst crystal fireline is really thin it isn't exactly clear so it is a good idea to put flurocarbon on the end.

There is actually one abrasion risk on the flats...if you hook into a decent sized flatty that wolfs down your lure! :yahoo:

In that particular case the extra diameter of the flurocarbon should help somewhat...

Good luck mate!

I always use a leader because it adds a little bit of stretch into the system which you need for any sudden lunges right next to the boat as braid has very little stretch a sudden lunge will break the line or rod It is also handy to loosen the drag a little as the fish nears the boat

i always go for 4lb leader on the flats especially wen the bream r finnicky

i havent actually needed anything heavier yet

4lb even did fine on a rat king i hooked =]

i wouldnt use 2lb crystal straight thru coz its not clear like a flourocarbon underwater

• 2 months later...

hey

yes always use a leader,but as light as possible. even bream can bite u off if they swallow ur lure deep enough, basically never happens though. i always think its good to have some stretch in ur line as sometimes i get confused wich way my drag goes and i tighten it instead of loosen and that stretch could just save the fish ur trying to land.

cya