Blue Bottle?

clutch

Question

Guys I was on a close West Coast beach last weekend and saw heaps of these jellyfish. I imagine that they are Blue Bottles......is that correct?

post-133-1168641349_thumb.jpg

I always thought they were common in Australia but our west coast beaches have a heap of them

21 answers to this question

Yeh thats a pretty decent sized blue bottle aswell!

I havnt seen many that big around Sydney lately but let me tell you even the littler ones can give you a nasty sting!

A couple of years back I was swimming in the surf at Manly, ducked under a wave, came up and a blue bottle was wrapped around my neck! :thumbdown:

Stang like hell for about 20 mins then was very, very itchy for about a week or two after that!

Steer clear of these suckers!

Cheers, :beersmile:

Blayne

Jezzz

Thats a BIG blue bottle! :1yikes:

They have a nasty sting,,,, my brother Greg has a high tolerance for them due to the endless summers surfing but not me!!! Last time I had a bluey wrap around my arm (left arm) I lost all feeling in the arm and immediately swelled up like a balloon, I ended up at the Hopsital seeking treatment.

Dan

i saw some purplish jelly fish at the entrance on the beach and in the water.

are they poisonous?

Can you please explain them abit more?

They might have been bluebottles, the only types of jellyfish i can tell are the BIG yellow ones thatare in HUGE packs, the yellow ones sting but it isn't very painfull, a small itchy rash appeares from a personal experience.

And the bluebottles which can inflict harsh pain and burning sensation.

cheers james

I got stung once by a blue bottle at Bluefish point, it came up on my line and i thought it was just some more line stuck on my line....i started to grab it and try and untangle it.....then the burning started and my mate said thats a blue bottle tentacle.....

Five minutes later my hand was burning bad and the red marks/pimple looking things stayed for 2 weeks.

Can you please explain them abit more?

They might have been bluebottles, the only types of jellyfish i can tell are the BIG yellow ones thatare in HUGE packs, the yellow ones sting but it isn't very painfull, a small itchy rash appeares from a personal experience.

And the bluebottles which can inflict harsh pain and burning sensation.

cheers james

They were purple in color about the size of a clenched fist. they didn't have any long tentacles like the blue bottles.

I only saw two of them, one had beached and the other was floating in the water.

Should have taken a photo, I 'll get a photo the next time I'm there.

I think I heard this from some bloke on Dr Karl (JJJ) or maybe its just a dodgy memory.

Apparently there are left and right handed bluebottles.

Each one has it's bottle naturally leaning either one way or the other. Then if the wind is blowing onshore then only half are blown towards land or if the wind changes then the other half are blown towards land. This has given them a better chance of survival.

As I said though this might be all crap and I just have a dodgy memory.

Dave

I think I heard this from some bloke on Dr Karl (JJJ) or maybe its just a dodgy memory.

Apparently there are left and right handed bluebottles.

Each one has it's bottle naturally leaning either one way or the other. Then if the wind is blowing onshore then only half are blown towards land or if the wind changes then the other half are blown towards land. This has given them a better chance of survival.

As I said though this might be all crap and I just have a dodgy memory.

Dave

Yes, I believe that's true Dave.

They are also 4 separate polyps, not just the one.

Here's some info from Wikipedia on them: Blue Bottles

Cheers,

Pete.

Those small purple jellyfish you've seen are what I call "Purple people eaters". See them often when surfing.

You see them in summer and not anywhere near as common as blue bottles but some days there can be quite a few around. Not sure what their real name is, but they do sting (from memory almost as nasty as the blue bottle).

Kingy

Those small purple jellyfish you've seen are what I call "Purple people eaters". See them often when surfing.

You see them in summer and not anywhere near as common as blue bottles but some days there can be quite a few around. Not sure what their real name is, but they do sting (from memory almost as nasty as the blue bottle).

Kingy

scary name they have.

it was right next to my foot too. lucky they dont have long tentacles to grab hold of anything around.

I got stung once by a blue bottle at Bluefish point, it came up on my line and i thought it was just some more line stuck on my line....i started to grab it and try and untangle it.....then the burning started and my mate said thats a blue bottle tentacle.....

Five minutes later my hand was burning bad and the red marks/pimple looking things stayed for 2 weeks.

Same thing happened to me at the same spot,

Im glad im not the only one to be fooled by them then.

penguin

Fishing for kings off old man's hat one day and my mate got well and truly dusted.

He had a habit of running the line through his lips to find the end.

Guess what; he had a blue bottle stinger wrapped around his line.

It stung him on the lips and his whole throat area swelled up making it hard to breathe.

Took a while to calm him down, believe it or not we poured coke on the sting area and it eased the pain.

True story, he still goes red when we remind him of the incident!!! :074:

Fishing for kings off old man's hat one day and my mate got well and truly dusted.

It stung him on the lips and his whole throat area swelled up making it hard to breathe.

Took a while to calm him down, believe it or not we poured coke on the sting area and it eased the pain.

I bet that was enough leverage to kick that habit :074:

Shouldn't laugh though could have been serious, my 8 yr old got stung the week before last in the pool at Bulli beach on the foot and back.

Nasty little buggers they are

Edited by robthefisherman

Damn, i could only imagine how that felt.....bet he doesnt do that anymore

:074::074::074: you cracked me up oz