Breaming

Hi. I'm using 1.5g squidgy jigheads. Sometimes I drag but mostly I twitch the sps. I've tried using 1/32 but could not achieve the casting distance and perhaps getting too used to a specific weight. Thanks for sharing your tactics I'll give that a try as well.

Cheers

Ronald

Yeh must admit most of my fishing is done out of a canoe so distance is not a requirement. However accuracy is. I manage about 10-15metres distance with 2kg line and 1/32 weight heads provided it's not too windy. Mind you I don't like fishing with a wind as I find you can't feel the takes which are often very subtle. Most fish I get take the lures on the drop or during a pause. I am mainly fishing structure of some sort rather than sandflats, I assume your fishing sandflats or dropoffs?

Cheers Rod.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh must admit most of my fishing is done out of a canoe so distance is not a requirement. However accuracy is. I manage about 10-15metres distance with 2kg line and 1/32 weight heads provided it's not too windy. Mind you I don't like fishing with a wind as I find you can't feel the takes which are often very subtle. Most fish I get take the lures on the drop or during a pause. I am mainly fishing structure of some sort rather than sandflats, I assume your fishing sandflats or dropoffs?

Cheers Rod.

Yup, mostly mud/sandflats and around mouths of drains/canals.

Ron

Hi all. Went on an early morning session for a farewell fish with my good mate whose leaving Sydney. :( Went with my college mate (nzwarriors) as well. Me and nzwarriors were both eager to try a 4lb PE braid we got from FishFinder yesterday. Got a roll of fluoro squid leader at 6lb to test it out too. Saw this Daiso lure which I have been neglecting all along and it was whacked on. Few casts later there was a small take and this small bream helped de-virginised it before it got CnR. :biggrin2:

post-283-1170140671_thumb.jpg

A few more hits and misses before I decided it really needed some deodorant. Sprayed some ultrabite and the next cast I got a good hit. Thought it was a better bream but then the fight was totally alien to me! :wacko: To my surprise, it was a Luderick! This 32cm blackfish unfortunately did not take any line at all :thumbdown: , but it struggled non-stop bumping my rod tip up and down effortlessly. Took some snaps and promptly released. My 2nd luderick on lures and the 1st on a HB! :yahoo: Go Daiso!

post-283-1170140675_thumb.jpg post-283-1170140680_thumb.jpg

Was hoping that my mate would get a good fish as farewell but alas all we can manage later on were small flatties. Got spiked by one little bugger, ouch! nzwarriors, however, did managed a 32cm bream which gave him a good run on his tierra.

post-283-1170140685_thumb.jpg

I'm definitely now a braid convert. They cast well and the feeling on them are top-notch. The knots, if tied properly, are bloody strong. Thanks to the guys at FishFinder for introducing us that egging fluoro, we find that they match well. Will definitely be heading back there, cos' some of the lures are too tempting to pass up! :drool:

Cheers

Ronald

• 1 month later...

G'day raiders. Have been doing some regular breamin' for nothing much to show. Went off to IC on a particular evening as I haven't been doing much 'last light' luring this season. Recently acquired a new Angler's Republic (ANRE'S) 'Rapid 45DSP' and eager to feed it to the breambo's community. :1prop: Had a extremely boring 1st hour being there with no hits on sps and hbs, but when the light faded, got my 1st hit on the rapid. Stopped the lure and gave a twitch followed by super slow cranks. Then came up tight on a lousy fight from this 29cm model:

post-283-1173062075_thumb.jpg post-283-1173062081_thumb.jpg

Promptly released and continued at the same spot. 2 casts later, the blackhole registered a huge take. The kix sang hardout and I thought this might be a better bream. As it was pitch dark, I couldn't see how my line moves. Ran for 3-4 times before I could see it under my headtorch and it was a 38cm whiting! :1yikes: My current PB, a happy camper I am. :biggrin2:

post-283-1173062086_thumb.jpg post-283-1173062091_thumb.jpg

Starting to like this HB already. Continued at the same spot for a few minutes without registering anything. Moved a few meters down and was casting in front of a storm drain pipe. A few cranks after it touched water the kix wanted to sing yet again. :thumbup: This bream made 5 good dashes and I was certainly impressed. Though it measured 30cm but earned my R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

anre03_a.jpganre03_b.jpg

Then things quietened down. However, seeing that the tide is still racing in, I persevered. Usually I'll constantly change lures but seems I was addicted to this HB. Kept moving up and down the banks till I managed to register consistent hits. Soon I was rewarded with my perseverance and got a smallie.

anre04_a.jpganre04_b.jpg

Continued peppering that same spot and got a dropped flattie. That bugger threw hook and my lure propelled back at me! Anyway, a mate called for dinner plans and decided to give a few last casts. Got another smallie before calling quits.

anre05_a.jpganre05_b.jpg

Although the Rapid has a rather crappy swimming action, it has somehow managed to get a place in my hall-of-fame collection. Recently acquired a new flouro, Nitlon DARM 5lb and was quite impressed too. Till next time. Tight lines.

Cheers

Ronald

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Haven't been posting for quite some time as I've been busy rushing my thesis. But still managed to squeeze a couple of 1 hour sessions @ IC. Just wanna share some pics of previous catches. Got hold of another new lure, LuckyCraft Tango 45SP, which as usual, keen as mustard to test it. Went on a first light mission and decided to give the tango its first swim. On the 2nd cast, as the lure was about a few feet away, I felt a big 'thump' feeling on the 4lb braid. :1yikes: The line just went taut but the fish didn't swim out. All I did was simply wind in :thumbdown: and saw a good size flattie when near the surface. But alas, the hb couldn't be seen and I instantly knew it was down in the gob. Crap, I was only using 5lb fluoro and could feel the line-rubbing when the flattie was thrashing near the bank. Kept my composure and back off the drag a little, while at the same time steering my rod in hoping to keep the line away from its teeth. Majority of the time was spent trying to lip grip that bugger but in the end, the 67cm dusky flathead gave in. :thumbup:

67mama01.jpg

post-283-1175321020_thumb.jpg post-283-1175321027_thumb.jpg

Released her later and she torpedoed away. Damn, if only she did that when I was reeling in! :mad3: Was hoping for the tango to snag me some breams but to no avail. Majority of the breams I had been getting lately were through gulping. Got a couple of 25s plus but here are few pics of the better ones:

post-283-1175321034_thumb.jpg

29cm by 2" pseed grub (disappeared)

post-283-1175321045_thumb.jpg post-283-1175321056_thumb.jpg

28cm by 2" pseed grub

These sps are too soft. Usually it's 1 gulp 1 fish. :thumbdown: What a bloody expensive sport!

Cheers

Ronald

Well done on the big flattie, mate! :thumbup::yahoo: I've caught a 65cm flattie on 4lb trace - pretty hairy, eh? What I also found is that on the day when I did downsize the trace to 4lb, I hooked two more bigguns - larger than 65. Bet you were thinking, "this is gonna be one expensive flattie!". Well done on landing her. Those bream look great too. I think I'll give some pumpkinseed grubs a go myself. Although, as you say, it's often 1 fish per lure when using GULPs - the fish don't seem to care, though!

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

[ What a bloody expensive sport!

One packet of gulp minnows.......$9.98

4lb PE braid and 6lb leader.........$50

One rod and reel combo.............$350

A 67cm flatie and a couple of bream..........PRICELESS! :thumbup:

another top effort mate!

billy

Hi raiders. Having finalised my thesis last week, I couldn't resist having a quick flick just before handing in. The early morning saw me woke up to find that the batteries for my digi cam were dead. I thought to myself, "nah, there won't be anything worth taking a pic today". Well, the following events in FD definitely ate those words. :1wallbash:

Arrived to a relatively high tide and tied on an sp 1st. Made the cast and was busy fiddling with the kix. Closed the bail arm and just as about to turn the handle, I felt a weight. A wet-sock tussle ended with a 26cm bream landed, how good is that for a first cast! As usual, 1 gulp = 1 fish. Opted for the 2" pseed powergrub and it was kinda quiet for awhile. By then, the sun was up. On a particular cast, felt some taps and I instantly paused. Gave a little twitch and while on the drop, saw my line moved and I striked. Woohoo.. fish ON. A slightly better tussle ensued and I landed a 28cm job.

post-283-1175670547_thumb.jpg

Apologies for this crap camera-phone pic. By now, I began to regret not ensuring that the batteries are charged. :mad3: Soon, the grub was raped by the usual suspects. This time round, whacked on a halved camo worm. Moved further down and the casts were registering plenty of hits. Ironically the worm was still intact. Then, the same thing happened again. I gave the lure more action in hoping to scare off the timid bites, as it was on a drop, the line instantly shot out! :1yikes: The sound from kix definitely woke me up. 4 good solid runs courtesy of this whiting at 38cm. :yahoo:

post-283-1175670554_thumb.jpg

Still anticipating to crack the 40-mark for whiting. Checked my watch and there was still some time left. Changed the badly damaged worm to a bloodworm grub. Few casts later and this time round, the line moved slowly on a pause. The fight was baffling me at that moment. It was slow moving and the rod tip was shaking. I thought it might be a big flattie but the line movement suggested otherwise. Out of a sudden, a solid zzzzz went on for 5secs. Quickly gain my line back and by then, I noticed it was a big bream! Luckily there were steps nearby and I body-lifted my FD-pb bream of 39cm. :biggrin2:

post-283-1175670564_thumb.jpg

post-283-1175670570_thumb.jpg

Now I wonder why the fight was kinda wet-sock from her. The eye was in pretty bad shape as seen in the 1st pic. It was mushy and pretty gruesome, probably got damaged from a previous hookup onto its eye, OUCH! Quickly released her and she powered away effortlessly. :thumbup: Time was up and I left a happy camper and to top off the good day, my thesis has been handed in. Yeehar!

Cheers

Ronald

Edited by crystalliser

What a terrible mistake it was to not take the camera :biggrin2: ... gotta love the camera phone pics, though! :thumbup::yahoo: AWESOME session, Ron. Wait until you hook a 40-plus REAL bream - they go hard! (Is 39 just your FD PB?) Woohoo! Congrats on finalising your thesis. Seems that even despite the mushy eye, that bream is able to hunt prey. A good sign, I say - you can catch it again when it's 50-plus! :biggrin2:

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

G'day. Have been doing a few short (hopefully breaming) sessions during the easter holidays and a couple of pics to share. It was a rainy easter sat night with intermittent showers and feeling bored, decided to give my new EverGreen Mini Combat Crank a night swim. It's a rattle-less lure but the action was quite sexy. 2nd cast and I was onto something. Just a small bream but nonetheless the lure was de-virginised. :biggrin2:

post-283-1176348332_thumb.jpg

A couple of hits and misses before the heavens poured and I was outta there after half an hour. With a low-low tide during the easter arvo, beach luring session was in order. Decided to give sp the 1st run to see if any fishes were around to play. Indeed, my gulps and powerbaits were gone in matter of few casts. Time to let some hardies have a few swim. 1st up was an EverGreen Spin Move Shad. Stimulated with some ultrabite and it got hammered on the 1st crank. The take was strong but the tussle was crap. This pinkie loved the treble and took it in entirely! :biggrin2:

post-283-1176348338_thumb.jpg

A small whiting also liked the lure. Decided to change it as it was diving deep pretty fast due to its sensitive weight transfer system. Got a pack of Decoy snaps from FishFinder Tony and they are pretty strong stuffs. :thumbup: Changed lures easily and decided to opt for a SX and within a few casts, a 'plastic-bag' 41cm flattie wanted to beach itself.

post-283-1176348344_thumb.jpg

Was contemplating for a feed but due to my laziness in cooking, decided to let it go. :1prop: Next up, got another 'real' plastic bag feeling. I thought it might be a clump of weed or something. To my surprise, it was a bloody numb ray! :mad3: I've heard about how they actually got their name "NUMB" and was dumbfounded on how to remove my poor SX! So, foolishly used my crocs and flipped that bugger over and saw the treble lodged onto its big-a$$ mouth! :1yikes:

post-283-1176348351_thumb.jpg post-283-1176348358_thumb.jpg

Luckily got my SX back and gave the ray a slight push and she was happily flipping away. Decided to give that shellshocked SX a rest and went for poppering instead. No takers unfortunately and it was back to using my faithful Angler's Republic Rapid 45DSP. Was kinda quiet for awhile but eventually there was a customer. Finally there was something that is willing to make my kix sing. :yahoo: This bream made a good account of itself in shallow terrain, u beauty! ^_^

post-283-1176348365_thumb.jpg

Moved a little further down and was cranking this lure pretty fast. A 'plastic-bag' 46cm flattie didn't mind the speed at all.

post-283-1176348371_thumb.jpg

Let her go since I wasn't needing a feed. Felt tired and called it quits.

Cheers

Ronald

Great report again Ronald. You've inspired me to mix in hardbodies with SPs when I fish and I'm hooked! Must look into those Decoy snaps too.

I've caught a Numb ray on a squidgy once except I didn't know it was one. Was trying to remove the jig head with my metal pliers and kept getting jolted! Took me a little while to work out that I was getting a mild electric shock :wacko:

Keep those reports coming in ...

Hi fishraiders. Here's another report of a short evening session on friday the 13th. I didn't realised it was that infamous date till I my computer proves it so. Arrived on a pretty low high-tide and began casting the obligatory sps to suss out any activities. A few flatties climbed onto the various gulp worms/grubs and powerbaits to keep me occupied till the sunsets. As soon as darkness prevails, the tide began to recede as well. Changed to a LuckyCraft Tango 45SP and few casts later, an angry flattie took the lure near the bank. It totally went berserk and took line as if she thought she was a bream. :biggrin2:

post-283-1176786685_thumb.jpg post-283-1176786697_thumb.jpg

Not a biggie but released with my seal of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. approval. Saw an eddy under the street lights and casted around it. After a few slow cranks, kix wanted to sing straightaway. The beauty of hb-fishing. The movement of the rod tip suggested a bream run. However, when it was near the bank, it wanted to do some death-rolls, thus it got wrapped around the 5lb Nitlon DARM fluoro. :mad3: A slow lift by the leader and a 31cm bream was forced to have her picture taken. :1prop:

post-283-1176786702_thumb.jpg post-283-1176786708_thumb.jpg

The water was getting low and I had to incorporate the sp technique to work the lure. On a particular pause, a take was felt and a smallie seems to like this approach.

post-283-1176786713_thumb.jpg

I was soon getting hungry and thinking about food more than fishing. :tease: On the last few casts, there was a take and I gave a strike. It felt like there was no connection but as soon as I wind in the slack, there was something at the end of the line. It was a crappy tussle and a 28cm came in as the last fish for the night.

post-283-1176786719_thumb.jpg post-283-1176786727_thumb.jpg

Bloody bugger thrashed non-stop on the grass and all I could think was why it didn't waste its energy trying to run my drag and instead gave me a hard time to remove the treble. :thumbdown: Packed up for the night and left for dinner without knowing it was "LURING ON A FRIDAY THE 13TH NIGHT".

Cheers

Ronald

I was at Bayview Park on Friday evening - where were you Ronald? Managed 1 small bream on a Gulp Camo worm and 3 small flatties on my el-cheapo HB but did not post it. 1 hour session

Followed that with a 6.30-9.00am session on Saturday morning starting at Bayview Park leading on to Massey Park Golf Course. The usual small flatties but managed whiting for the first time :thumbup: - this one at 28cm on a 2" pumpkinseed grub. Were you around the area then rzep?

post-3388-1176799252_thumb.jpg