Breaming

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top report & piccy's once again Ronald! :yahoo:

Jee there are some quality Bream there. :thumbup: They go hard in the shallow water. :biggrin2:

The "glide" technique that works well is using a light jighead, 1/28th or 1/ 32 weight, & making it glide through the water. A bass minnow or flickbait is very effective for lightweight slowly twitching.

Well done again mate. Great to see the bay fishing well.

Cheers,

Grant.

As what Jewhunter had pointed out, gliding is probably an action imparted due to twitching an sp with a lightweight jighead. It 'glides' rather than it 'hops' (as usually seen with the use of heavier weights). It seemed more natural (to me) than hopping a heavyweight plastic. A good light 'fast action' rod will see you through this technique for sure.

dazzassj6: 1gram is approx. 1/28 ounce

Grant, thanks for the tip. I'll try and get hold of size 4 and give it a go. Btw, forgot to mention that this session was a cooks. I'll try and revisit your ex-backyard soon. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ronald

• 2 weeks later...

Hi raiders, how's it going? Have been trying to poison an overseas mate and turning him into a breamer. :1naughty: He's only into bc outfits and never really used a spinning outfit before. Well, the local breamin' scene certainly changed his ways. We went out on a few occasions to try and get him onto breams using lures. On the first outing, I was still in the 'gliding' mood and managed to score a 33cm under a bridge. It was the best fun I've ever had as the fish took line in whatever direction trying to rub the 5lb leader against the oyster encrusted rocks! :1yikes: But luckily the angler won albeit the leader went curly and frayed.

post-283-1183600994_thumb.jpg post-283-1183601001_thumb.jpg

It was the only entertainment for that day except for a few small flatties. Next occasion saw us heading back to the same place as my mate was bloody eager to get that similar action especially on light gear. However, he christened his new rod with a blackfish instead. :tease: At least it gave him a bit of curry and also getting it on a squidgy! :1prop:

post-283-1183601007_thumb.jpg

It was a pretty good session. I managed to score 3 breams on assorted colours of the SX40 with this 30cm specimen looking the best. :thumbup:

post-283-1183601014_thumb.jpg post-283-1183601025_thumb.jpg

At last, my mate managed to score his first bream on lure using an sx which accomplished my poisoning mission. Surprisingly for that day, the breams were only interested in hbs.

Had to pick up a friend from airport and went for a quickie just to see if anything wanna bite. 2nd cast with a neglected lure I've had for quite sometime managed to hook up a 34cm. This thing went hard, providing good fun. :yahoo:

post-283-1183601031_thumb.jpg post-283-1183601038_thumb.jpg

Caught on a Duel Seafox which I bought from overseas. The casting distance is extremely good, probably due to the tiny magnetic transfer system on just a 48mm lure. :wacko: Sadly that was the only fish but can't complain for a 30min quick fix.

Just before my mate left, we went for his last session and he had finally scored his first sp-caught bream. Not only one but two as well, my mission was truly accomplished. :)

Cheers,

Ronald

G'day. Just another short report on a superb session I've had down at Jewhunter's ex-backyard. Had a couple of odd sessions there to try out the 'gliding' technique and all I could manage were flatties. Tide's pretty good this week and so an overcast late arvo session was in order. Hit a spot and seemed like plenty of bait around, good sign.. :thumbup: However, the start was slow. Did manage to have a follow only to see the bream make a u-turn after seeing my ugly face. :1prop: Finally, on a particular far cast, a bream liked the glide. 2 solid runs ensued and a 33cm bream was lipped.

post-283-1184205287_thumb.jpg

Taken on a 1/32 bloodworm bm. After her release, I noticed some bait activities and had a gut feeling it was feeding time. After recently watching the AFC vids, felt an urge to use a bloodworm wriggler the anglers seemed to have so much success on. Rummaged through the bag and found an opened pack, sweet! Rigged it on a modded berkley jighead and casted to a fishy-looking snag. 'Bounced' the plastic like what the guys did in the vid and voila, first cast and I'm on! But I made a mistake, forgot that the drag was too loose! This bugger took line easily and buried me in the snag! :mad3: It was a stalemate and I've no choice but to free-spool and "play guitar". Probably it got irritated and somehow manage to come out only to head into another snag! I roughly knew my chances were slim with 5lb leader. Did the "guitar" thing and what do you know.. she came out eventually and took more line, AGAIN! With drag tightened and me moving few meters away, another 33cm was lipped.. phew! :thumbup:

post-283-1184205292_thumb.jpg

Released that bugger and she'd definitely earned my respect. 2 or 3 casts later, I'm ON again! Man.. I'm loving this! This was yet another solid fight, and no more mistake for sure. Drag tight and some skull dragging steering, I made sure I'm the winner. These feeding breams sure can run hard out! What the?! Another 33cm!

post-283-1184205301_thumb.jpg

3 x 33?! Weird.. :wacko: No time wasting this time. Kept plugging at the fishy snag and couple of 'oohs' and 'ahs' made it frustrating. Megastriked the wriggler big time and it paid off. Another good runner and to my satisfaction, a better bream at 36cm came just before the dark.

post-283-1184205319_thumb.jpg

Scored a few more undersize and the bites went off. Had a sensational 'bloodwormed' evening. :yahoo:

Cheers

Ronald

The reports keep coming in mate and you never seem to disappoint. :1fishing1:

Sounds like an amazing session man, lots and lots of bream, always a heap of action. Just the way fishraiders like it :beersmile: Nice sized specimens too

• 2 weeks later...

G'day. Have been facing a serious drought last week with super clear water and hardly any baitfish activities in various spots that I went. Had read through some of the baro pressure theory here and thought that might be the cause since it was a pretty much stagnant high pressure system encountered last week. :thumbdown: Oh well, I thought this week might be my fortune reversal and since the tides were in favour, a couple of late arvo sessions were in order.

The water were slightly dirtier and I could clearly see heaps of baits around. Things might be looking good. Iceman mentioned about the 'hidden weight system' thingy and I thought I might give it a go. Since I didn't have those TT jigs, I would stuff a 1/32 size 6 head into the wriggler. Sweet! It snugged in easily. But seemed like a failed 'little' experiment. Doesn't glide as sexy as I've wanted it but who cares, no harm trying. With some super slow retrieves next to a snag, some bites were felt, stopped and a twitch, the line went off. Not a spectacular struggle but always a hoot to land something even though you felt the lure couldn't make it. :biggrin2:

post-283-1185600005_thumb.jpg

Just a mere 27cm bream on a 'hidden weight' plastic. The light was fading away and the surface feeding were getting more rampant. I had to make a further cast and so the 1/32 was forsaked. 1st cast with a heavier wriggler I felt a funny bite, nonetheless, I striked. This fish was not fighting like a bream. Lots or thrashing around with hardly any line taking. Up came my pb whiting of 38.5cm (only 0.5 better :1prop: ).

post-283-1185600131_thumb.jpg

I found out that as the light began to fade away, the feeding frenzy seemed to move off further away from the banks. Anyway, I was just concentrating on casting near the fringe of the commotion. Managed to get another 30cm before the whole place gets dark.

post-283-1185600270_thumb.jpg

Thought of using a hb in complete darkness and on the 3rd cast, had a take. This thing went zzzzz before it went limp. The owner treble was straightened and this was the 4th time ST36 had failed me again. They count themselves lucky I had no choice to stick with this brand as no other makes size 12 and below. :mad3:

Went off for another sesh to further cure that drought itch. :tease: Just received an eBay lure and did the mod the very same day. Brought it out and on the 3rd cast while slow rolling it near the structure, a take was registered. This thing went ballistic, 1st run almost had me in a stick. :1yikes: Drag tightened and I had to quickly move away to skull drag that bugger. Did a couple of solid runs and I was stoked to land this mutha..

post-283-1185600912_thumb.jpg post-283-1185600919_thumb.jpg

post-283-1185600927_thumb.jpg

42 to da tip, 37.5 to da fork. Ooh yeah! :yahoo: Released her in prime condition. How good is that, on a $3 lure, u beauty! Megastriked the hb bigtime but no more takers. The bait feeding frenzy came on yet again as dusk approaches. Caught a couple of breams including this 35cm on the wriggler.

post-283-1185601157_thumb.jpg

A few more undersize breams came onboard before I called it quits. The moral of this report... that baro pressure thingy sure does wonders! :thumbup:

Cheers

Ronald

Another top report & cool pics Ron. Glad you broke the drought with some real quality fish. I used to always watch the barometer very closely when I lived near H.C. A drop or a spike can really turn the fish on & as long as the tide was right it didn't matter what time of day it was.

Keep 'em coming mate.

Cheers,

Grant.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day. Here's a couple of August catches so far to share with you folks. It's been pretty tough lately with nothing of quality to show but still the itch has to be cured. :1prop: Was keen to try out with loud rattling lures to see if it makes any difference during night luring. Peppered the spot with the Jackall Cherry and LC Tango and could only irritate 2 smallies.

post-283-1186713768_thumb.jpg post-283-1186713777_thumb.jpg

Gotta be impressed with the Cherry's tungsten weight rattlers.. *clink clank.. clink clank* :biggrin2: Love it! Hopped down to cooks over one weekend to try and christen my new toy and could only manage a 31cm after 2 hours straight being there!

post-283-1186713783_thumb.jpg

Caught on the $3 eBay lure which didn't put up struggle anyway, at least I didn't score a donut. :tease: Went for late arvo sessions this week seeing that the tide was good. Downside was the bloody wind picking up in the arvo as well. Water was discoloured and the concentration of baits were further out rather than hugging close to the banks. Ok, hb was the go then. Put on the Megabass Smolt and the casting was... crapola. :thumbdown: The swimming action was so-so but still, 2 smallies didn't mind engulfing the whole treble. :wacko:

post-283-1186713789_thumb.jpg post-283-1186713795_thumb.jpg

post-283-1186713802_thumb.jpg

With the tide slowly rising, it was sp time. For no apparent reason, I had suddenly thought about 'creature-like' sps and so started to rummage through some old stocks. There it was, an oil-stained pack of Ecogear Bug Ants. Stuffed a few into the tackle box to be ready for this sesh. Rigged onto a light head and began casting near a snag. Being a bug, I reckon slight non-stop twitch was the go. Just when my wrist was working over-time, *clunk* and it goes... Ah.. the Yamatoyo PE peeling from the Stradic was simply orgasmic. :074:

post-283-1186713812_thumb.jpg post-283-1186713820_thumb.jpg

36cm to da tip, u beauty! :thumbup: Promptly released her and continued, only to snag the sp on subsequent casts. :mad3: Changed to the wriggler and could only manage another 27cm. Went back again and the bloody wind was howling like mad. Sp fishing was totally unfruitful but hbs didn't make any difference at all. Again, after 2 hours of almost casting my arms off, a 30.5cm came almost at last light.

post-283-1186713826_thumb.jpg

Caught on a SX40. Conditions weren't as good compared to that baro surge encountered last time. Oh well, itch cured, what more could you ask. Till next time raiders, tight lines!

Cheers

Ronald