The Big Day Out

Wohooooooooooo :yahoo::yahoo: what a day it turned out to be for the first Social of the New Year.

We arrived on masse at Clifton Gardens at 5 am as planned and set up Camp Fishraider .

Flightmanager was well under way and we hastily unpacked all our gear in the dark for the registration for the Fishos for the day.

Everyone who had registered was given an ID tag with their user name and join date and member number.

Donna and our new member Charmed worked their butts off to have them ready on time and I think everyone loved the idea so we could recognise everyone :biggrin2: .

All the squid from Tony @Fishfinder was despatched to the members and the game was on to see who could land the biggest Kingy for the ultimate Prize of a REEF RIPPER rod made by King Rods and a Spheros Reel to match supplied by Fishfinder Bait and Tackle.

Early on one of our members Hirimasa landed a just legal King from the wharf landbased and the show had begun.

Boats were going in all directions in and out from the beach after registering and it was amazing to see so many Fishraiders buzzing around.

I got a call from Coollamon and Esratew that had 3 Kings on board and were coming in .

All there fish were 61 cms on the dot and the weigh sheet had been opened :yahoo:

This was Johns first King as well.

We were getting reports of bust offs and missed chances from all and sundry.

Then in comes one of our new members Ralph with a nice fish of 65 cms and Dezmo the skipper with a 60 cm model.

The fish werent on the bite as previous reports had stated and the water was a bit cold .

Next to come to the measuring table was Mallacoota Pete with his first ever Kingy at 61 cms .

Mrsswordfisherman was delighted when one of our female members Fisherwoman was walking towards us with a nice Kingy for the measuring table .We put it on the lie detector and it went 64.5 and just missed out on beating the 65 cm model earlier :tease:

Her Step Dad had a 60 cm Kigy as well and that was a nice team effort.

Mottyman and his son Basskid (Andy) returned to the site with 3 nice fish .2 Salmon and a nice Samson Fish.

The fishing was steady without being mind blowing and the Raiders had done themselves proud.

There was a fish brought in late taken by Eastcoastin which was a larger specimen and was not included in our Social as The Two Dans opted not tooo take part in the registration earlier.

Lunch was well underway by 12 pm and everyone tucked into the sausage and steak rolls which were perfectly prepared by Ross.

It was a very hot day and the drinks were being downed at the rate of knots :biggrin2: .

The weather was great and the venue was outstanding and it was a credit to the two Robs for the choice and organisation.

We had a number of sponsors again at the Social which was great to see and we thank them for their generosity again

Wattos had supplied a lure pack for the second place getter and Modern Fishing supplied 3 viva coast reels and a heap of soft plastics and fishing lines for the kids to grab .

The official winner was Ralph with his nice fish of 65 cms

Second place went to Fisherwoman with her oh so close 64.5 cm fish

We had a guest lucky draw and Stan (Domzas Dad) won the reel.

The most rewarding thing I saw all day was when we decided to present a Viva reel for the best fish by a junior and Basskid's great Salmon took out the prize. I will never forget the look on Andys face when his name was called out and the look of utter delight as he accepted his reel. Now Thats What Im Talkin About.

Great day out and many thanks to everyone who made this Social the biggest yet with 120 people attending.

Thanks to everyone who helped clean up as well after the day and cant wait to do it again real soon.

The pics of the day will be forthcoming

Cheers Stewy and Donna .

post-256-1169368421_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368441_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368455_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368472_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368484_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368496_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368507_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368611_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368622_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368719_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368731_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368744_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368759_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368816_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368828_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368843_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368858_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368944_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368996_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169369014_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169369025_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly was a Big Day Out!!!!!

Andy still hasn't put the reel down!!! He's sitting in front of the cricket with the reel in his lap turning the handle. :thumbup::thumbup::1yikes:

He is the proudest 10 year old I've ever seen and I'm a very proud dad. :biggrin2:

The 3 of us had the day of our lives out there today and we can't wait to do it again.

To all the old and new friends I saw/met today - thanks for making it a great day and hope we can catch up soon.

Well done to the two Rob's who organised a fantastic even and of course of wonderful sponsors who donated the sesational prizes.

Cheers

David.

Thanks to all that helped out, hopefully that barbeque set did the trick.

Congrats to the winners, where were all these big fish there have been reports about? We trolled for nothing, fished with some fresh squid heads for nothing and couldn't get any yakkas for bait. It was a good change of scenery.

Left the gong at 3.45 and we signed up at 5.30 then took us an hour to find a ramp, little Manly ramp I think we used, it was a pathetic attempt at a ramp but after searching for an hour anything would do. I was hoping other raiders would be at the sign up with their boats and lead me to a ramp but not to be unfortunately and I my Sydney street directly with all the ramps included I couldn't find in the morning and would not have been in the good books waking the mrs to search for it. I guess it woulda been ideal to have a social event with a ramp at it, I guess it's a bit tricky in Sydney. I couldnt stay I had the boat on the trailer and didnt expect to see so many cars parked near the social event it was crazy. I woulda loved to come say hi but yeah if I had known better I woulda parked the boat gone for a feed and presentation then gone back to the ramp but I don't know those waters and how many people there are that visit them!!

Nice to meet you Rob, was good to see you driving around saying hi to the raiders on the water and getting updates I liked that; must admit first time ya drove past it was a tad closer than I would like and I didn't realise it was you so forgive me for not giving a wave haha.

Ben

It was nice to finally meet you too Ben, unfortunately mate the ramps around the harbour would not have the parking to accomodate one of our socials, a large majority of raiders that attended the social aren't harbour fisho's mate so thats why we couldn't give you clear directions it's because a lot of us were wondering if we'd find our own way home.

As for coming close you cant expect space when your on Sydney harbour :tease:

Hi guys

I had a top day, many thanks to the sponsors and everyone who was involved to make it a great gathering, some top picks there, i am going to try my hardest to make every social from now on.

Congrats to everyone that won prizes.

Bring on the next social :1prop: .

cheers james

Hi Everyone!

We (my :wife:mrs_rzep and son little_rzep) all went down for the weigh in today. I couldn't go fishing as we just got back from camping but thought we would head down for a chat with other raiders and to meet new ones also.

It was good to catch up with everyone and good to put a face to a name!

Well done to Ralph and Fisherwoman for taking out the prizes.

Thanks to Flightmanager for feeding my wife the nice fruit salad and cream! (She loved it)

So who is putting up their hand to organise another one?? :1prop:

Edited by rzep

A big apology for NOT being there! Kept telling Jim it was next weekend and it was purely by chance that he was there this morning when you guys were!

Dont worry - I copped it from Ross (flightmanager) on the phone!!!! :1prop:

Looks like everyone had a top day!

And good to see some fish caught and by the women also!

decided to head to clifton a little early for the weigh in and met up with about 500000 other raiders for a chat and a snag, it was very sociable and the best social i have been to

went for a swim and chatted to everyone, great day, very well organised, all involved should be very proud of themselves... thankyou very much, im sure it was a top day for all

great to meet some new faces and some old ones

world's greatest fishing website :yahoo:

Decided to have a swim aye, it took me to push sammy in then him to get his revenge by pushing me into you so we both fell in :1prop: had you finished adapting to the weather when you went in? HEFFAAAAA

Hey chris i got a nickname for ya (steggles) chicken legs :1prop: .

cheers james

Fantastic folks!

Looks like you all had a great day. Showed :wife: the pics & she's keen to catch a social if we're in Sydney at the right time. Hope so coz I'd love to meet some of ya's in person.

Well done organisers. Family fun is great to see.

Guest fishrunner

Looks like a great day was had :thumbup:

Congrats Ralph - great rod you got there :thumbup: , and also fisherwoman in takin out the prizes :biggrin2:

Unfortunately I couldn't make it , But I would still like to say congrats and thanks to all involved in pulling off another great social event, :biggrin2::beersmile:

Cheers

i was swimming before u got there :tease:

call me what u want, but remember i outfished you today, and tossed you into the water....... as well as myself :biggrin2:

CFD

How come you wouldnt get in then u n sammy were like lil kids (no u go first ,no u go first), sammy ended up first.

U hit the water before me, and yes u did outfish me i'll admitt it and u will do it again :1prop: Im slowely learning off you.

cheers james

G'day Raiders ,

My feet are sore , and my back is aching , but I am still on a massive high from todays Kingy Social !!

Left home at about 0315 and drove to Clifton Gardens, arriving there at about 0405. Luckily I was able to drive right up to where we wanted to set up , courtesy of the council , who had left the access unbarred so that their trucks ( and one Fishraider Pajero ) could get in !! :thumbup: The conditions were absolutely ideal , no wind , calm water , and about 22 degrees . #1 Son and I unloaded the car and trailer , and began sorting the large amount of stuff that we had crammed in !

About this time , the Swordymobile arrived with the Swordies aboard , and after the usual hellos / abuse / jokes we began to set ourselves up , Stewy and Donna attending to the clerical side of things , and myself with the catering side.

Fired up the BBQ and got the Bacon and Eggs going in short order , as the Raiders arrived to register , as soon as they smelt the bacon , they smashed me like kingies on fresh squid !!! :074:

It was great to be able to meet all of you , some for the first time , and get your day started with a bit of a feed !

This went on until about 7AM , a steady procession of people , ready to do battle with the wily Kingfish.

I would estimate that about 75% of the people who attended , arrived during this time . Now thats dedication !!! There were some stories about huge queues at some ramps , and little parking left before 6 AM.

Things slowed a little after 7 , and I began to organise things for the rest of the day , catching up with old friends , and hopefully making some new ones !!

I would like to give Gongfisho ( Ben ) an enourmous Thank You for his kind donation of what must be the Rolls Royce of BBQ tools , I look forward to using them again soon !!

Around about 1030 , the warriors returned , as things were getting a bit breezy in the Harbour , fortunately , where we were situated , we missed the worst of the wind , and while it was a bit warm , was quite pleasant nonetheless .

Time to get things into high gear , my God , you people are good on the tooth!! The meat donated by Offtap ( Dave ) was , once again of superior quality , and there were many comments to this effect. Thanks Dave , having good ingredients makes my job so much easier ! On offer for lunch were Bacon , egg , steak and onion rolls , also as a last minute bonus , Coolamon ( John ) donated the Kingfish he had caught to be offered up to the masses. Thanks also to Sal , who kindly prepared the fillets for me .

I would like to thank all of you who donated food , drinks , bread rolls , condiments etc for your generosity , without you , it simply could not have happened!!

Last , but by no means least , to the 2 Primary Organisers , Robbielites and Robthefisherman , Bloody Well Done on a most succesful Social. I think it would be safe to say that this was the largest event we have ever held , and Im sure will be remembered by all for a very long time.

Believe it or not , I am already thinking about the next one....... :1yikes:

Ross

Edited by Flightmanager

Haha, ive got two good reasons to be happy today, the first being the super social event. I didnt fish but loved it. It was great to meet a whole lot of new people and also to see how people can pull together for a common cause & passion just for the love of it and friendship with others. Heartwarming! The BBQ went down really well too :thumbup:

The second reason is im not called Johblow anymore hahahaha. Thank God for that! :074::yahoo:

Cant wait for the next social. Hope my boat is floating by then :-)

hi raiders! thanks for a cool introduction, and a great day , NO FISH for me, but whats new, i like how you think and work!!! got back to tunks, and cleaned mates fish, ? then had a beer with old mate, hit the F3

at 4.40pm only to find it was burning so i ran a scary gauntlet #$%^ pants and was one of only big handful

that got thru before it closed! thanks! i will sleep well tonighZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

stevo!zzzz

well done to all raiders it was a great day..

well done to every1 involved in setting it up 2 robs donna and stewy and others

congrats to u ALL :thumbup::yahoo::thumbup:

great to see so much support and wata great bunch of blokes and ladies we have on fishraider

cheers steve

Hi all got to Tunks at 3.30am with my son Caige (outdodad) and mates Ray and Joe, dropped a few crab pots and went to spit to try as planned for some squid, but they wouldnt play. 5am got to Clifo to register, with sun starting to rise decided a try for some yakkas at balmoral, hard work and only managed 3. With newly installed downriggers on new boat we decided a trip up river the go, first time any of us had done any downrigging , but quickly learnt how to set up. First time ever in Bantry bay with 2x riggers out with Wattos Boxed Squid on 2 hook rigs . just completing our first lap when one gets hit and goes for run, i called Caige up to pick up rod and with a flick of the drag he was on, first king on downrigger for all of us. Caige was now happy as with king just on 60cm. We spent rest of day downrigging various other spots for ziltch then ende up at yellow marker bouy at Quarantine head and watched Haraka do his thing with Rohit on board land some rat kings on light gear. Then watched as he spent 20 min doing laps releasing his well stuck anchor. :biggrin2:. Took my time heading back in to Clifo for weigh in as we had heard on radio that some 70cm fish had been caught early in the day and Caiges 60cm king had no chance. Boy did i cop it off Caige when he worked out he could of won a prize for his kingie being a junior at 11 yrs old. Great to meet other raiders back at clifo with some new and regular faces. Sorry i could not stay long and missed many goodbyes but we had to get home , but firstly took Mark from CougarCraft for a spin in my boat which he built and customised for me but hadnt gotton to ride in. These Socials are getting better and better with a great turn out and friendly faces. Keep em coming, ill be there. Also hope everyone enjoyed the steak and sausages i donated , i found them top quality as usual. Forgot to mention after quick spin with Mark and his misses we headed back to ramp and on way picked up our crab pots to find one Bouy missing (Cut by someones prop) but rope to pot floating and still atttached for 4 x keeper blue swimmers and 1 throwback female with a huge amount of eggs, just topped off a great day Cheers Dave

post-1870-1169377153_thumb.jpg

post-1870-1169377175_thumb.jpg

By the way that isnt Caiges Vodka Cruiser sitting in cup holder on gunnell, Dont worry ill be asking some questions to "offtap" crew to how that got there

It was a great day and the robs did a great job organising it.

Unfortunately we couldnt get a kingy but thats ok, it was a fun day anyway.

A big thanks to ross to for the great BBQ.

Offtap, I also heard about somebody saying they captured a 70cm fish, A few raiders didnt bother bringing their smaller ones in after hearing that, must of been some non raiders stuffing around trying to screw up the comp..

Edited by netic

Wohooooooooooo :yahoo::yahoo: what a day it turned out to be for the first Social of the New Year.

We arrived on masse at Clifton Gardens at 5 am as planned and set up Camp Fishraider .

Flightmanager was well under way and we hastily unpacked all our gear in the dark for the registration for the Fishos for the day.

Everyone who had registered was given an ID tag with their user name and join date and member number.

Donna and our new member Charmed worked their butts off to have them ready on time and I think everyone loved the idea so we could recognise everyone :biggrin2: .

All the squid from Tony @Fishfinder was despatched to the members and the game was on to see who could land the biggest Kingy for the ultimate Prize of a REEF RIPPER rod made by King Rods and a Spheros Reel to match supplied by Fishfinder Bait and Tackle.

Early on one of our members Hirimasa landed a just legal King from the wharf landbased and the show had begun.

Boats were going in all directions in and out from the beach after registering and it was amazing to see so many Fishraiders buzzing around.

I got a call from Coollamon and Esratew that had 3 Kings on board and were coming in .

All there fish were 61 cms on the dot and the weigh sheet had been opened :yahoo:

This was Johns first King as well.

We were getting reports of bust offs and missed chances from all and sundry.

Then in comes one of our new members Ralph with a nice fish of 65 cms and Dezmo the skipper with a 60 cm model.

The fish werent on the bite as previous reports had stated and the water was a bit cold .

Next to come to the measuring table was Mallacoota Pete with his first ever Kingy at 61 cms .

Mrsswordfisherman was delighted when one of our female members Fisherwoman was walking towards us with a nice Kingy for the measuring table .We put it on the lie detector and it went 64.5 and just missed out on beating the 65 cm model earlier :tease:

Her Step Dad had a 60 cm Kigy as well and that was a nice team effort.

Mottyman and his son Basskid (Andy) returned to the site with 3 nice fish .2 Salmon and a nice Samson Fish.

The fishing was steady without being mind blowing and the Raiders had done themselves proud.

There was a fish brought in late taken by Eastcoastin which was a larger specimen and was not included in our Social as The Two Dans opted not tooo take part in the registration earlier.

Lunch was well underway by 12 pm and everyone tucked into the sausage and steak rolls which were perfectly prepared by Ross.

It was a very hot day and the drinks were being downed at the rate of knots :biggrin2: .

The weather was great and the venue was outstanding and it was a credit to the two Robs for the choice and organisation.

We had a number of sponsors again at the Social which was great to see and we thank them for their generosity again

Wattos had supplied a lure pack for the second place getter and Modern Fishing supplied 3 viva coast reels and a heap of soft plastics and fishing lines for the kids to grab .

The official winner was Ralph with his nice fish of 65 cms

Second place went to Fisherwoman with her oh so close 64.5 cm fish

We had a guest lucky draw and Stan (Domzas Dad) won the reel.

The most rewarding thing I saw all day was when we decided to present a Viva reel for the best fish by a junior and Basskid's great Salmon took out the prize. I will never forget the look on Andys face when his name was called out and the look of utter delight as he accepted his reel. Now Thats What Im Talkin About.

Great day out and many thanks to everyone who made this Social the biggest yet with 120 people attending.

Thanks to everyone who helped clean up as well after the day and cant wait to do it again real soon.

The pics of the day will be forthcoming

Cheers Stewy and Donna .

post-256-1169368421_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368441_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368455_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368472_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368484_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368496_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368507_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368611_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368622_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368719_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368731_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368744_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368759_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368816_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368828_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368843_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368858_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368944_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169368996_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169369014_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169369025_thumb.jpg

Well done everyone.

What a top day.

Thanks Johhno for the ride. Not a lot of fish, but it wasn't from lack of trying. You know it's a tough day when they won't take a live squid.

Congrats to all those who got their first..Kingy...squid...salmon etc. This day will be especially remembered by them.

Edited by pekingduck

Nicely reported guys...

Great to meet everyone... and catch up with my old friend Kelvin whom I have known since we were 14 or 15... (young fishermen never die... they just get older) we definately have to get out together sometime...

So much for not a puff of wind.....LOL... it nearly blew us from one side of middle harbour to the other.

Thanks to those who helped organise the kingy social.and to all the sponsors..I think it was most excellent ...

sorry I left early but my deckie wanted to go home...too early a day for the old fella...so I didnt get to meet everyone I would like to get to know...

one suggesion for next time...COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THE BLOODY FISH ARE?

( or at least have some of the blokes with local knowledge come out with those of us that don't.... I know Botany bay & Georges R well but not the harbour)

Well at least when I left, Namesay didnt have one either (thanks for making me feel better Kelvin!)

I think they should award me a prize for throwing the towel in first.

or for being the first to drag a squid to death...

Anyway this has to be the best fishing forum I have ever found ....what a great bunch of people and keen fisherfolk...thanks guys....

Looking forward to the next social ...or at least a fishing trip or two ...or 3.... or four... lets make it regular ok.....

(anyone want to actually show me how to catch these kingys? I will supply the boat!)

Would be keen to hit pittwater sometime too if others are interested?

Thanks

Rodger Wearne(OneMoreFish)

Hey there,

I just wanted to say thanks to the two Robs for organising an amazing day. I had one of the best days of my life thanks to the two of you and the team at Fishraider :thumbup: . And also thank you to Modern Fishing and Wattos for supplying the prizes.

We started the day at 3.45am at Tunks, were we got one of the last parking spots, thank god, i didn't feel like walking far when i was still half asleep. Headed past offtap (your boat is awaesome) and a few others under the spit squiding.

We went to get yakkas, and boy did we have fun, they were going mental, we had like 15 within the first 20mins of being there, and the best thing was there were no sweep or bat fish. We then procceded around to register, and got some breaky, thanks flightmanager for the great cooking.

we decided to not go far and sat near the bouy at Cliffton Gardens, it was quiet for a little while, then all the boats around us started going off, eventually my rod went zzzzzzzzzzzzz....... it was awaesome, i love the fight kings put up, we tossled for about 15mins then it came in, one of the boats near us cheering. It was close to 65cm's we wern't able to get its correct lenght until we got to base, 64.5cm's :yahoo: .

We then went out to quarantine head to see what was happening were my dad caught a king at 61cm's.

2 legal kings in the boat what an awaesome day :1fishing1:

I would just like to add my thanks to all the organisers for the day, especially the people who slaved over the BBQ on such a stinker of a day to feed the rest off us, and a big thanks to the sponsors for providing the prizes.

Myself and gone_ wishin registered at around 5.45 am and spent a couple of hours trying for squid only managed one decent size one, thought we had better try for some fish, tried downrigging in middle harbour as well as trolling a lure nothing, fished the wedding cake with baits and poppers then back to the garden tried a little while around there no luck

Probably should have kept the squid.

Congrats to all the winners...looking forward to the next comp.