The Big Day Out

it was a great day even though we couldn't get a king, let alone a keeper fish on our boat

thanks to everyone who put in to make this thing happen, i think it was a great success and definantly looking forward to the next one.

thanks to the sponsors who put up some great prizes, my dad loves his new reel.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it was another first class fishraider social.

Congratulations to all attendees and a great time had by all no doubt.

Sorry to miss the day but I am doin it a little tought at present with the home front.

Anyway catch up on the next event.

These days are what makes the Fishraider site and associated members such a fabulous group to be part of.

Amazing pictures and very good in depth reports.

thanks to everyone who made that day happen,

it was a fantastic day and i love to see it happen again soon. thanks to ross we all had a great feed.

well done on the people that caught, and for those who didnt like (my self)

better luck next time. thanks again. :thumbup::yahoo:

A big thank u to all the organisers of the social,

and all those that contributed in some way to making

it happen.

Congrats to all the prize winners also.

I was pleased to have met some Raiders for the 1st time,

and what a great bunch of people,and it was also good to

meet some others whom i hadn't seen for a while.

Was a pity that larger kings did not wana come out and

play on the day(I think they knew Fishraiders were cumin).

We only manged small fish on the day,but that didn't matter

as we all had a top day out on the Harbour and a top feed

back at Clifton. :thumbup:

Crazy Faridations rat King.

post-1664-1169426993_thumb.jpg

What an awesome day

thanks go out to all the sponsors for their generous donations and their continued support of Fishraider.

and to the organisers for such a well planned out event

Tony your squid was the gun mate and helped Esratew and Myself to christen the new boat with 3 decent Kingies :yahoo:

It was great to meet heaps of the raiders and during the wayin have a needed feed courtesy of Flightmanagers culinary skills thanks also to Offtap who donated the meat for the bbq

Looking forward to the next one and meeting more members of Fr

all in all I had a great day and was Stoked to pop my cherry on a kingie.

only down side was the 2 1/2 hours it took to clean up the boat when I got home :05:

Cheers everyone

John

Edited by coollamon

Sorry we missed a great day.

It looks like you cleared all non fishraiders from Clifton Gardens with the invasion of boats.

Sure hope we can make the next social day.

Congratulations to all the winners and a huge ONYA to the organisers and sponsors.

Great pictures!

it was a great day at the social,good to catch up with some mates also good to meet people i havent met before from the site and to put a face to a name from the site.

the food was great,big cheers to the chefs who cooked.

Edited by Crazy John

It looks and sounds like a good day was had by all. Really sorry that I couldnt attend this one, but extremely hot weather is not my friend. But dont worry there will be others that I can attend.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Stewy, tell me how did you get flightmanager off the bbq?

Mrs FM

G'day Raiders,

It really has been a wonderful time and day for all the Raiders at the social. Firstly, I want to thank the sponsors for their support, the organisers who worked so hard putting everything in place for a smooth operation. Drinks and esp the Food was excellent, keeping everyone a little charged up after a hot weary day under the sun.

And congratulations to the Ralph, Fisherwoman and also young Andy.

This is my (and my gf) first outing at the social, having missed the previously 2 due to work commitment :thumbdown: .

Woke up early with hopes of striking kings later in the day and found there were also other landbased fishos already waiting for the kings to strike. :1fishing1:

Glad to meet up with other fellow raiders, also Swordfisherman, MrsSwordfisherman, FLightmanager, Boxfish, d' moderators..all of you guys are just great! :thumbup:

Didn't catch any kings despite having to see the landings of a couple of kicking kings by Hiramasa. But while having a short chat with MrsSwordfisherman, a boxfish took me snackbait. This fish really feels funny..like a pencil case stucked inside it's body. But the funniest thing is that a fellow raider also known as "Boxfish" was fishing next to me. What a co-in-ki-ki..(coincidence)!! :074::074: Yes, that's me with the fish among the photos.

By midday, packed up me gear and went for a swim...water was pretty cold. then rested and stayed till after the presentation.

Looking forward to the next social and it's really nice meeting fellow raiders.

Cheers to all !

Ray the reelfisho :yahoo:

I have a suggestion for the next social, im not sure if its been done already though.

What about a Bass Social held at Tench Reserve, Penrith on the Nepean river?

Just a thought but its probably already been done to death.

:beersmile:

Blayne

Edited by blayne

Well done, guys! Sounds like a good day was had by all! I was thinking about you all, on & off, all day!

Congrats to the Swordies, the sponsors & the guys that kicked it off, and especially to all those that participated - and the winners of the gear!! The smiles on the dials says it all!

Cheerio

Roberta

I'm hoping to help organise a Blackfish Social/get-together in Forster, hopefully first weekend in June!! The caravan park is right on the marina ramp and breakwall, there is a pond there with the weed growing, it is the start of winter - blackies should be on!! Full moon - more active fish! What more do you need?

Anyone interested?? This is the best place to learn or improve your blackfishing skills!

Well done, guys! Sounds like a good day was had by all! I was thinking about you all, on & off, all day!

Congrats to the Swordies, the sponsors & the guys that kicked it off, and especially to all those that participated - and the winners of the gear!! The smiles on the dials says it all!

Cheerio

Roberta

I'm hoping to help organise a Blackfish Social/get-together in Forster, hopefully first weekend in June!! The caravan park is right on the marina ramp and breakwall, there is a pond there with the weed growing, it is the start of winter - blackies should be on!! Full moon - more active fish! What more do you need?

Anyone interested?? This is the best place to learn or improve your blackfishing skills!

Sounds like an excuse for a week off midyear and a jew session from the breakwall while I'm at it.

Now how to convince the :wife: we should take a seaside holiday in the middle of winter :wacko:

Hey Roberta, whats the name of the caravan park or do you know their website, might have a look at the accomodation

Edited by robthefisherman

what a top day many thanks to the organizers, mods, sponsers, and last but not least the owners Stewy and Donna and Ross for cooking the bbq with out these guys none of this would happen. I was happy to see old faces and meet new ones even thou i didnt catch a fish i still had a top day and congrats to ralph and fisherwoman its good to see the women out there challenging the blokes :1fishing1:

Cheers Joe

Edited by slayer666

Sounds like an excuse for a week off midyear and a jew session from the breakwall while I'm at it.

Now how to convince the :wife: we should take a seaside holiday in the middle of winter :wacko:

Hey Roberta, whats the name of the caravan park or do you know their website, might have a look at the accomodation

Hi Rob

I think it is just called Forster Caravan Park! http://www.escapenorth.com.au/forstercaravanpark.htm

It is on the breakwall on the Forster side (the side they are catching all the jewies!!) Spoke to a proud Dad this morning - his son got a 70lber last week! That is massive! One bloke got a 30lb & 60lb in the space of an hour! Personally, I would have stopped fishing after the first one! Big plastics are all the go here just now.

I checked with the Caravan park - first weekend in June has lots of cabins & caravan/campervan site available - plus from June to Nov, if you book for 5 days, you get 7 + a 10% discount on top of that!! There is a flat rate for camp sites for those that only want to stay one or two nights. That should entice a few to stay for the week, eh?? Room to park your boat right next to the cabin ....heaven on a stick!

Reason for the first weekend in June - public hol on the next weekend, & school hols on the last weekend, but best reason is: FULL MOON on the first weekend! Blackies are much more active on the last of the out tide up here, especially on the full moon when more water is being pushed out of our narrow entrance.

Your wife will love it - Forster is so laid back & easy to live in/visit! We don't get really cold weather, either!

Let's get it off the ground!!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Just wanted to add my thanks to the 2 Robbies for organising such a fantastic day..

Thanks too to the irrepressible Ross who's cooking skills were magnificent again..Those bacon & egg jobs at 5am sure hit the spot.

Kingy (Terry) and myself launched at Bayview at 4am and headed down in the darkness in unfamiliar water..thankfully another boater passed us so we followed him, guessing he woud be heading for MH, if not Clifton Gardens.

Saw Offtap at Spit Bridge gathering bait in his new beaut craft and headed for Clifton.

We rounded the bend and got a snout full of the wonderful smell of sausages and bacon & eggs cooking, so we knew we were in the right place. You could smell it a mile away

Scoffed down a couple of Ross's delicacies and registered, grabbed Tony's pristine squid from Ross (thanks again Ross for doing that for all the raiders) and headed off to do battle with the seriolas.

We went straight to Balmoral island for some yakkas and hopefully live squid. Squid weren't around but the yakkas were in abundance. I don't know but I think Mosman yakkas must have had a damn good education as they schooled around the burley and hardly went for the bait rigs at all. Terry managed 6 but none wanted to know me.

We then went off to downrig a few and trolled all the headlands to Manly for no hits. Had squid out as well as yakkas up high and down low..Nothing.

We crossed over to Quarantine for the same result and went all the way out to the heads..still not a touch.

All the time, the radio would crackle with the same results coming in. Then heard someone had 3 on board..it sounded like Coollamon, so gave him a call on the mobile and he confirmed 3 kingies boated..he was even good enough to tell me his location.(Thanks John) .The Wedding Cake....off like shots out of a gun..we pulled alongside. Out go the squid and yakkas again and Terry knowing I had never landed a king before kindly said I have the first strike..Thanks mate.

Not 10 minutes later. Zzzzzzzzz and it's on..Those buggers sure put up a fight..after a few dives and hijinks, he's in the boat..High fives and yahoooos from me..No longer a Kingy virgin!! :Wooohooo!!

A quick measure to make sure it's legal and it went 61cm. Terry asked me if I wanted to release it, knowing that I release most fish. I declined as I have never tasted kingy either..Tonight it hits the dinner table...Mouth is watering now just thinking about it.

After that, we decided to head back to Camp Fishraider for a while and register the catch. Ross was still slaving over a hotplate cooking up a storm. More of Ross's great tucker and a cool drink then meet lots of new Raiders and old aquaintances.

The presentations followed with very deserving winners and smiles all around. great to see young Andy get his prize...what a smile he had.

Congratulations to new member Ralph on taking out the 1st prize rod & reel..Really good to see new members take an active part on our socials.

By this stage..both Terry and myself are pretty buggered so we said our goodbyes and headed off back to Roseville.

Thank you again to the organisers, the 2 Robbies and to the admin. team Stewy & Donna and the sponsors for showing their support to the Fishraider family with their generous prizes and most of all..thanks to Terry for breaking my hoodoo and getting me onto my first King..

And to Sir Ross of Jackeroo..a big extra thanks for keeping hungry bellies satisfied all day..you are a champion. :thumbup:

Can't wat until the next Social..they are getting bigger and better each time.

Here's a pic of my first ever Kingie...Wooohoo.

post-1685-1169452977_thumb.jpg

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Well done guys an girls that was a abosolute brillant day :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: .

To those that ran this event you are the best, an to the sponsors awesome prizes!!!!!!! :1yikes: .

Our day out was action packed! My Dad who has never experienced how hard a kingy goes, was very impressed, he was blooded at 7.30am near the drums at clifton on 2 seperate riggs,,,, WTH??? He was jumping sideways between the two screaming rods,, both fish landed with a bit of help! He loved every second off it. :biggrin2:

Total tally was 8-10 rats with a just keeper at 60cm! hmmmm kingy :yahoo:

Nice to meet alot of other raiders who I recognised from previous trips out for kingys on the harb but never introduced myself to :wacko:

Again to those involved in yesterdays event,, my Father an deckie, owner of the boat were so pumped that before we boarded the boat at Clifton,,, I overhead them saying "You couldnt pay for a day like THAT"

WELL DONE ALL

Dan an Greg

Edited by Dan and Greg

Well to all i had a great day

I would firstly like to thank

The 2 Robs for all there hard work to help to organise a great day good stuff guys

also Ross (flightmanager) who must be sick of seeing snag and steak by now on the BBQ

also to Donna and stewy for there efforts to make the day what it was.

and all the rest of the FR admin that made the dayrun so smooth.

Also to the sponsers for the great prizes

KR rods,Fishfinder,wattos fishing tackle,modern fishing.

Also it was great to see darren from trailerboathire along for the day

and our newest Sponsor Markfrom Cougarcraft boats.

Also thanks to the guys

who supplied all the goodies to make the day what it was

Pekingduck,Offtap1,445F, swordies,Thunder,Penguin,mr and mrs flightmanager,Mr Liason,

Geoff and mottyman,Hiramasa,Gongfisho,Sorry if i have left anyone off if your name isn,t there.

Well for me the alarm went a 3am

and i was pumped picked up peckingduck then hit the ramp at 4.48 at rose bay

and made our way to clifton signed up and dropped of supplies.

we hit the kelp beds and fro me i was a little unsure as it was my first time chasing squid

after 30 minutes we had 2 nice healthy squid in the tank.And was i pumped my first 2 ever :yahoo:

Well we headed to midleharbour for a downrig and got a hit and spit.then tri had a hook up and spat the bait also.for use no fish but had a great day.

It was a pleasure to meet so many people which share a common interest/passion.

Thanks again

I had a super day

PS now i can go and cross squid off the 2007 catch list

Edited by johnno

:yahoo::yahoo: What a top day

Thanks to all for coming and supporting our great event. Congrats again Ralph on your win, I hope you get good use from the weapon. Congrats to all winners. Thanks to my fellow sponsers for supporting our beloved fishraider community :thumbup: .

Bring on the next one

hey guys turned up at 11pm the night before went straight to spit bridge got a couple off squid and small tayler then went hunting for fish but got nothing went to cliffton beach to meet the gang very well organised by the way boys eager to get fishing help set up them we set of fishing till 8:30am when finnaly got fish a nice size gummy shark in middle harbour then zip2155 and I started to get sick and then to top it all off grant had a family emergency all good though just like to say not all went good for us fishing and that but would like to say i meet somegood people and would like to meet somemore fishraiders so hopefully i can spend the next social all day thank you to all the organisers and sorry for shooting off :05::05::1fishing1::1fishing1:

Well, time for my report....

After running around like a headless chicken on Saturday afternoon, namely wasting an hour talking to Tony and Ross (Flightmanager) at Fishfinder bait and tackle. My gorgeous girlfriend even helped me out by spooling three of my reels with fresh Fins braid in preparation while i put together all of my tackle and boat bits, ice etc in the process i managed to bare foot kick a housebrick, breaking a toe and removing a big toe nail! OUCH! :mad3: 11.30 saw me slip into bed... and 0200 saw the phone ring with the wake up call from crazedfisherdude, 0300 saw us meet Crazy John, Penguin and others at rose bay ramp, we dropped in and slowly made out way to get some live bait.. navigating was difficult being our first time in the harbour night with lights ablaze all over the city! anyway, we stuffed around and found ourselves following our noses to the scent of Flightmanagers hot bacon and eggs wafting from clifton gardens, a short chat and a paperwork out of the way we jumped back into the boat and around the corner to jag a squid on my very first cast, a few later and chris boated the second and third while i sorted out a tangle... with the sun about to show we scouted out a few other spots until we hit the jackpot where chris boated two squid and i took two monsters in consecutive casts (word on the radio was that the squidding was slow, even non existant) with things working out so well for us we were pumped for some king action!

We raced around to the ever reliable FR wreck and dropped down some live squid on the downrigger only to have it ripped off the hooks, i dropped another down another only to pull the hooks on another king, a few more passes over the wreck and chris boated a rat which was released after a pic, we tried a few other spots for zip, then the wind came up making downrigging all but impossible so we made out way back to FR HQ at clifton gardens for one of Ross' famous steaks and snags! what a genius that man is! anyway, we took some time to put some names to faces and cool down with a swim.... after realising we still had 2 live squid in the tank, we jumped back in the boat with netic on board to have another go with the downrigger, but it was all in vain, after 10 passes of the harbours most reliable kingfish spot, nothing, the damn squid was having a party with a 6/0 i its back....back to CG for more BBQ and swimming!

Excellent day was had by all, Well done to all the Prize winners!

Just wanted to thank all involved in the Social day, those who organised, cooked, supplied, and especially those who attended!

a social event located where there are ramps nearby. Wollongong is great, I'm not sure what you all think about the travel though.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Rose bay ramp is about 2km from clifton gardens mate

Edited by crazedfisherdude

Thanks to the organisers, we had a good day and met quite a few people.

We got to the harbour around 4.30 and headed over to Clifton to try to get some live bait - no success.

Went over and registered and dropped in some leftovers from my son's 21st Birthday party the night before. Spit roasted Beef, fruit salad and cream, bread rolls and some liquid refreshments to keep the Chef (and helpers) hydrated throughout the day.

As I mentioned in my other report, the score was: Kings:4 Fishos : Nil.

We had no success getting live bait, despite trying several locations and using different types of berley.

Headed over to the Wedding Cake and put some bait out for kings, as well as some other rods trying for yakkas.

Would you believe, we had 4 hook ups with Kings and they were all on our light gear trying to get yakkas. Small pieces of slimy, squid and bread were taken by Kings instead of the nice big strips of fresh squid. On 6lb line with tiny hooks, we didn't have a hope.

The nice big strips of squid, squid heads, pieces of dead tailor and slimey were untouched.

I also tried using a flick bait, and one chased it but didn't strike. He must of seen my ugly head!!!

The Deckies didn't want to hang around for lunch, and I wasn't going to argue as I did not get any sleep with the party the night before, so we called it a day. I would have liked to meet more of you, but I guess we will cross paths in the near future.

Congratulations to all the successful fisho's and the prize winners.

Cheers

Greg