The Big Day Out

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry its a bit late - have attached a picture of my undersized model caught off the wharf. I just need to work out how to get them a bit bigger!

Was a great day and good to meet a few of you - shame that I couldn't hang around too long...

Cheers

Simon

post-2569-1169521321_thumb.jpg

Well thankfully the weather held & by the sounds of it everyone had a ripper of a day! :thumbup:

How good are the photos?! It was packed with Raiders. :yahoo:

Congrats to all the winners & thanks again to our sponsors for your ongoing support.

To the Robs, wow, your first social & what a cracker. You have done yourselves proud.

To the vast number of people who donated their time, food, drinks & all sorts of goodies, thanks for your generosity & helping make the day what it was.

Finally to all of you guys & gals, the members, a big :thumbup: It's your participation that makes these events such a success.

Cheers,

Grant.

Wow, what a great day the kingfish social was!!!

I will firstly apologise for Ralph who is yet to post on this topic. He does not have reliable internet access sorted at present, but I understand he will have shortly. What I can say is he was absolutely blown away by the fishraider crew and by the great prizes donated by our generous sponsors. I have known him a long time and was even best man at his wedding. The smile he had all afternoon on Sunday was bigger than I have ever seen him have (including numerous previous fishing firsts, his wedding etc).

Ralph is spooling up the spheros with 50lb braid and is absolutely pumped to go and put a dirty big bend in his new favourite rod (damn its nice!! We will be going out to try and find some hoodlum kings shortly…

As for the day, we started off at Wharf Road boat ramp around 4:15, made the run out to Clifton where we were met by Swordfisherman (whose enthusiasm at that hour of the morning was unbelievable…).

As the sun came up we attempted to get some squid. Managed to drop one but after about 30 mins with none on board we decided to try for some kings…

Our strategy for kings which has worked well previously was to drift unweighted squid baits down a burley trail. We tried this at the drums at Clifton initially and things were looking quietish for a while. The fact that we were using squid purchased from the local seafood shop (although surprising fresh looking) did not inspire great confidence…

After about 40 mins, Ralph was discreetly relieving himself over the side when he suddenly jumped quickly and grabbed his rod (cheapish shimano barra style low-profile baitcaster outfit with a drag that was shagged). After an interesting tussle with loads of finger applied drag he eventually boated the 65cm model. I promptly told him that it was a good fish but would have no hope of winning the day…

Anyway a while later I got a 60cm job which was good fun on a lighter outfit, dropped another and Ralph pulled hooks on a larger one… It was getting increasing hot after this and with good squid running low, we tried a few spots after this half heartedly and made our way back into Clifton.

It was great to meet everyone, have a good feed and a chat. Sorry we couldn’t stick around long after the presentation, however I had to rush Ralph back so he could go to work.

Thanks to all sponsors, organisers and everyone who attended. Greatly looking forward to attending the next social!!

Just a quickie for those fishos lucky enough to boat a Kingy at the social...What bait did the trick for you?

Even if it was a rat.

Mine was taken on a yakka.

Just curious to know what the ratio of squid vs yakka was on the day.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Hi Pete,

We were using strips of squid and got busted off twice at the cakes. One boat next to us was using Yakkas and boated two. Coolamon landed three on squid until we pulled up next to him, then he got zip. :1prop:

Cheers.

Robbie.

I noticed that I reckon its what you wash your boat with ...put the fish off the bite :1prop:

Cheers

Coollamon

I must apologise to Gongfisho (Ben) for not saying a BIG THANKYOU for the BBQ SET he kindly donated to Fishraider and it will be a great asset to go with our Fishraider BBQ donated by Aron :yahoo:

Thanks so much guys :thumbup:

post-256-1169695204_thumb.jpg

Cheers Swordfisherman