Several Species Not Comonly Eaten

james1990

Hi guys

Has anyone got any recipes for

A- Striped tuna

B- Shovel nose sharks/bajosharks

C-Slimey mackrel, yakkas

D- Pike.

I tried a striped tuna a few months back, simply cooked on the bbq 2 cm steaks with butter, lemon and a few other things can't remeember sorry.

cheers james

IT WAS CRAP thats all i have to sya, very strong flavour, took a bite and put it in a bag for next trips burly instead of wasting it.

cheers james

yeh i usually fillet the striped tuna and turn them into strip baits. theyre awesome on the close in reefs ad as floating batis. then just throw the frames into the burley pot.

cheers pk.

Guest danielinbyron

i tried shovel nose shark after hearing it was great ... I may have needed to let it settle a bit longer or sommething but it was the worst ..like eating undercooked unripe potatoes.. flowery starchy

Also how are pike on the tooth?

I might have to buy a smoker where can i get one and how do they work?

cheers james

Judging by their smelly slime, I don't think they'd be great to eat. Just a guess, though. I've personally never used a smoker, but I think you burn some substances under a thatched container which holds your fish. The heat cooks the fish and the smoke is infused in the flesh.

Flattieman.

Judging by their smelly slime, I don't think they'd be great to eat. Just a guess, though. I've personally never used a smoker, but I think you burn some substances under a thatched container which holds your fish. The heat cooks the fish and the smoke is infused in the flesh.

Flattieman.

We normally deep fried Pike and it goes down quite good with the drink of your choice :beersmile: .

Slimies and yakkas (as pk-fisn pointed out) are supposed to be good eating when smoked (a favourite of Japanese people)

Hopefully without affending any of the fine Asians who visit this site........if it says anything like "is a delicacy in Japan"..or "a favourite of the Chinese"........That pretty much tells me that there is NO way I will like it :puke:

My tummy is finely tuned to a meat pie and chips :biggrin2:

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully without affending any of the fine Asians who visit this site........if it says anything like "is a delicacy in Japan"..or "a favourite of the Chinese"........That pretty much tells me that there is NO way I will like it :puke:

My tummy is finely tuned to a meat pie and chips :biggrin2:

:Funny-Post:

A favourite of the Chinese can be ok at times,

a delicacy in Japan, is a worry for me.

penguin

You can smoke fish in a wok, if you have one.

I think you put some foil at the bottom and put your smoking chips on that (mesquite and bourbon chips can be got at bunnings). Then you put your prepared fish on a rack above the chips, cover tightly and smoke over low heat until done.

• 2 months later...

Well I can say that I have caught a few shovel nose sharks ( ray ) and have released them till the other day down in port Kembla when I had the partner in the boat and we caught one which I was going to release but she said no.

The fish was taken home and cleaned which mind you that took some work. It was then cut into short pieces

And marinaded in some stuff which I can not tell you. This was left for approx 4 hours in the fridge.

It was then crumbed and deep-fried.

And believe me when I tell you I am not a great fish eater but it was very very good so I would recommend.that you try it.

cheers

Bob

i have also heard that shovel nose are top eating. my

grandpa who doesnt eat fish (does eat crabs, oysters,

lobsters etc) says it is the best fish he has had but also

says he doesnt eat the fillets but the meat in the flaps

next to the head or sumthing. says the same thing with

stingrays. but he said there is a trick to it so cant tell

you anymore cos i dnt no.

regards mark

Edited by Mark_17

Hey James,

I smoke the big Slimies. They are great when cold, a couple of crackers and a cold beer :thumbup: .

You can buy smokers from any tackle shop. They're simple to use, they come with a little metho burner and a bag of sawdust to get you started. I make my own brine with salt and brown sugar. The best fish to smoke are the oilier type like Tailor and Makeral.

Cheers

Jeff

Yakkas are good sashimi believe it or not.. Tetsuya serves them in his restaurant. They have a similar flesh to trevally. They need to be big though otherwise, the peices are too small and bloody.

Slimies are great when smoked. The Poms eat them all the time. On the Lifestyle Food Channel, I see them cooking them up all the time. I have never just fried them, always smoked in my Weber.

Recipe is:

Split and bone the Slimey (back bone, pin bones and rib cages out)

Rub brown sugar and salt into the flesh and leave for a couple of hours or, overnight (you need to be generous with the sugar and salt and really rub it in)

Load your Weber with a cool fire. I spread the coals out either side because you don't want direct heat.

Put some soaked hickory chuncks on top of the coals to create the smoke

Whack the split fish in skin side down and put the lid on leaving the air vent open.

Smoke for about 20 minutes (longer if you like them a little bit more bown)

Done. They taste very good, Bit like a kipper.

• 1 year later...

Yakkas are good sashimi believe it or not.. Tetsuya serves them in his restaurant. They have a similar flesh to trevally. They need to be big though otherwise, the peices are too small and bloody.

Slimies are great when smoked. The Poms eat them all the time. On the Lifestyle Food Channel, I see them cooking them up all the time. I have never just fried them, always smoked in my Weber.

Recipe is:

Rub brown sugar and salt into the flesh and leave for a couple of hours or, overnight (you need to be generous with the sugar and salt and really rub it in)

Load your Weber with a cool fire. I spread the coals out either side because you don't want direct heat.

Whack the split fish in skin side down and put the lid on leaving the air vent open.

Really?

I get put off yakkas when i see doctors all over them, so im assuming you would prepare it as you would a king.

Edited by RPL

Really?

I get put off yakkas when i see doctors all over them, so im assuming you would prepare it as you would a king.

I think exactly the same when i saw some doctors come out of a blackies mouth that i caught. i didn't know what it was when i first caught it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a Pom and I have to agree that smoked mackerel is very good. And it's not just like kipper, it is kipper! kipper = smoked mackerel. At least in the UK anyway.

Recipe is:

A favourite of the Chinese can be ok at times,

a delicacy in Japan, is a worry for me.

being of chinese origin myself, i can say that in this case (yakkas & slimies) your comments are totally untrue (not saying that you are racist or anything)

yakkas are great when the fillet is cut into pieces and cooked like sweet&sour pork (fried first)

both yakkas and slimies can make great sushi and sashimi

Edited by industry