Blackfish Social In Forster

arpie

Hi guys

How great would it be for a bunch of Raiders to be up at Forster at the one time!?

At last, we have a date for a Blackfish Social at Forster - The 1st weekend in June has been chosen for the full moon (blackfish are more active on the extreme tides) and they should definitely be on the chew by then! Matter of fact, they are being caught regularly now!! It also won't be too cold at that point in time (average temps 8 deg - 20deg), but bring some cool/wet weather gear just in case.

Those not really into blackies but keen to attend and learn how to, could also target jewies, flatties and bream - all found along the wall & in the lake! All you need is a long (up to 10ft), bendy rod & small/med reel (eg 2500) and a long handled net, if fishing from the rocks! Our local weed is currently in short supply, so for those who can get it before they leave, bring it with you! And bring some more for others that don't even know what it is, yet! Bring any cabbage you can find, also - at certain times, they will only go for that! At this time of year, both cabbage and weed can be hard to come by. The big silver/bronze blackies really love the cabbage.

Let's put Forster on the Raider map!! Plenty of Raiders have been through Forster over Xmas/New Year, and are aware of just how good it is! With luck, this could become a yearly event!!

Best of all, we can trade information & tips on catching the pesky blighters - see if the youngies can outfish the oldies?!

With the caravan park being right on the doorstep of the marina (Forster side) and equally as good for folk fishing the wall as from boats (probably even better fishing on the wall - you know that virtually every fish goes past there - and they do, in big schools!) There is a big park with bbqs at one end of the marina & the caravan park also has bbqs available for gatherings ...... it is really all there! Just walk to your spot & fish. Park your boat next to your cabin. There is even a pond on the breakwall that usually holds great weed that the blackies know & love. There are beach worms on the Main Beach, just behind the caravan Park (in the days leading up to the event or after, I can show those who don't know how) and fish in the lake - what more could we want?

I have checked with the Caravan park - first weekend of June has cabins & caravan/campervan sites available (but filling up fast with Fishraiders .....) - plus from April to Nov, if you book for 5 nights, you get 7 + a 10% discount on top of that for cabins!! The camp sites are a flat rate, I believe (for those just wanting a night or two in their own rig.) Bring your feather duvet - it can be cold at night if in tents or campers! Electric blanket is even better, or at least a heater! That should entice a few to stay for the week, eh?? Check out their website - Forster Caravan Park. Mention 'fishraider' when in contact with the caravan park to try & get raiders situated 'together' in the park for a more social gathering.

http://www.forsterbeachcaravan.com.au/game...er-Caravan.nsf/

They also have a regularly updated fishing section for their clients

http://www.forsterbeachcaravan.com.au/game...kes_fishing.htm

Cheerio

Roberta

PS I'm excited! Even more so, since attending the Entrance Social at the end of April! It was a Blast!

Edited by Roberta

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds very nice Roberta..A weekend away could be just what the doctor ordered at that time of the year as well.

Let's see how many Raiders support your idea and if it fits in with the other socials regarding dates etc.

You live in fishing heaven up that way and I'm sure many many fish will be caught on the day.

Post your support or non support here as well as any ideas to include in Roberta's plans.

Cheers,

Pete.

As my :wife: is a teacher turning it into a family getaway outside of school hols won't work so I will look at the prospects of getting a couple of days off work and heading up on the friday and coming home on the Monday.

But as I'm trying to get permission to go fishing with Assassin this weekend I won't be asking till next week :whip:

Good luck with getting it together Roberta

I would most definatly be in on this one

I really enjoy soaking some weed( I said soaking, not smoking! :1prop: ), And would encourage anyone who has never caught Ludrick to attend, Thier great fighters, and the anticipation followed by the adrenalin as you see your float ripped from the surface by a ravonous luderick, its the stuff dreams are made of. :thumbup:

So count me in!

Dan

Thier great fighters, and the anticipation followed by the adrenalin as you see your float ripped from the surface by a ravonous luderick, its the stuff dreams are made of. :thumbup:

Dan

Dan thats a really good explaination of the feeling you do get

i will have to see when it comes around closer to see if i will be attending

i haven,t pulled a Luderick up in over 14 years in my teenage years.

Edited by johnno

..... Forster must be the home of the blackfish. Be good to have some local experts on the spot -- can make all the difference. Bob

Hi Bob

I look forward to meeting up with you. It'll be great to put names to faces!!! Bring on the worms, too!

I'll see if some of my buddies up here (the real experts) will be on hand to give advice ..... I have already told most of them about Fishraider, so they may be lurking in the shadows to join up, if they haven't already!

I reckon Forster & Yamba must be 2 of the best recognised Blackie spots on the east coast (of course, I may be slightly biased!) A buddy who has fished Yamba yearly for the last 40 + years had a shocker of a trip this year - less than 10 fish in over a month or so that they stayed there .... and he know all the tricks & spots!!

I must get in touch with him & if he is not already a member, I reckon he soon will be! The trip to Yamba with their caravan is getting a bit much now he & his wife are older (must be knocking on 90, I reckon!) I think Forster, in a cabin, will be more to their liking!

See you here!

I have only recently purchased a specific Blackie rod & it is amazing the difference it makes - so light & easy to use ..... you can fish for hours without getting tired. They also don't 'rip the hook' out of their mouths, unlike some of the stiffer rods!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by swordfisherman

count me in Roberta,

it is my aim on this site to attend EVERY social and make an arse of myself :074:

ill be there unless the weekend falls on someones b'day

CFD

Ahh now where talking have been fishing forster for 35 years and actually going their

next weekend 3RD Feb for a week ,,not like the good old days for blackfish now boys best fished

287 fish in 7 days between 3 of us Grandparents and I that is . They stuffed the lake when they dredged it

years and years ago :( great for Flatties though

Would love to go see though :) as dont get much time off and planning a big fishing trip to QLD in October

so may not get the time off , use the Great lake carravan park at tuncurry cheap 20 feet from the lake and boat ramp or just tie it up on the wall

Ps for the weed goto halidays point ,,Blackhead beach little canal at the end of the park will get bin loads

cheers

This Social will be organised mainly by Roberta and she will need some help :biggrin2:

Put your hand up if you are attending this Social for sure and help Roberta out .

Cheers Stewy

Hey all

I would love to come but as I said in the Entrance social post, it all depends on work. Really hard for me to plan anything too far in advance atm. But hopefully I can make one of these events or if the gods are smilin' both. So if its ok could you put me & my little family ( :wife: & 2 x billy lids, one 3mnth & 1 is 3 1/2yrs) down as def maybe's?

BTW - blackfish virgin, anyone help me get my cherry popped? :074:

Edited by Boofhead

Hey all

I would love to come but as I said in the Entrance social post, it all depends on work. Really hard for me to plan anything too far in advance atm. But hopefully I can make one of these events or if the gods are smilin' both. So if its ok could you put me & my little family ( :wife: & 2 x billy lids, one 3mnth & 1 is 3 1/2yrs) down as def maybe's?

BTW - blackfish virgin, anyone help me get my cherry popped? :074:

You are down as a maybe mate.

Let us know if that changes.

I'm sure Roberta can fix your cherry problem, blackie wise I mean LOL

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi Boofhead

Great to have you on board!! Some big blackies are entering the system even now - saw a school about 10 deep go thru this morning - took 2 mins to pass! That is a lot of fish!

We'll do our best to make sure everyone gets into some fish - especially you, Boofhead! I was a blackie virgin (for quite a while) after I first took it up, then like bike riding, suddenly it all feels comfortable! Then it gets even better! I even got discouraged last year & thought I'd never learn it & gave my gear to my brother ...... now I am showing him how to use his tackle! lol Gave me a good excuse to get a decent rod, too! Ha Ha

See you soon

Cheerio

Roberta

Thanks guys, doin' some serious prayin' here. (I think the big fella upstairs is probably looking down sayin' "Who the F#$% is that dude?, never seen him b4!) but hey, can't hurt right. :074:

So if I can get to this thing, what do I need? I'd like to start riggin some gear up but havn't a clue, god I hope this won't involve another trip to the tackle shop & a kidney donation!

I have several rods, mainly 2m GP's suited to 3-10Kg with a variety of reels (All cheapies & no idea what the specs are but I can find out)

BTW, don't get too involved here coz I'm a tackle freak, I'd buy the whole shop if the :wife: didn't know me better than I do. I just need the basics & that'll do, I'm far more interested in meeting ppl & having fun with the family anyways so fish'll be a bonus! :biggrin2:

Cheers

BH (Mik)

.....So if I can get to this thing, what do I need? I'd like to start riggin some gear up but havn't a clue, god I hope this won't involve another trip to the tackle shop & a kidney donation!/////

Hi Boofhead/Mick

We should be able to get you rigged up with a mixture of tackle that you already have - it is not rocket science or difficult, really! So don't go out buying anything new just now!

I shall shortly be sending a fairly detailed pm to all registered attendees describing the proven setup for our local blackies (and plenty of other hints, too!!) Hopefully I will send out the info in the next day or so! It is a bit of a book, so you may need to copy it to a word doco or just print it off to read at your leisure!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Fantastic Roberta

At the beginning of Jan I was in Sydney for a couple of days & went to Shark Point at Bronte. There was a fella there catchin' Blakkies from the rocks. He was a very cool dude, lived there for years & knew the fish well. He gave me a few tips but when I went back the next day all I got was wet from spray :074:

Here's hopin' you can edum-a-kate me!

BH (Mik)

PS - Great to see the experienced fisho's helpin' Boofheads like me :biggrin2:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Roberta... Excellent!!!

that was no PM...

it was a novel

you should add it to the FR archives

Strewth CFD your'e not wrong, nearly broke me stapler tryin' to peg it all together once I printed it :1prop:

Fan-bloody-tastic Roberta :thumbup:

Now, if you could just go over one little thing again for me...starting from "Hi Guys"....Just kiddin' I will take it on-board I promise.

PS - Any suggestions for entertainment for :wife: & kiddies (3mnths & 3 1/2 yrs) they won't be fishin' the rough stuff if at all but I'll probbly take the eldest down somewhere quiet so he can do some fishin' with Dad!

Edited by Boofhead

Hi Roberta,

count me in for the comp. in June, it will be fun. Being a newie at Blackies I'm not overly confident of a big score but its all fun. Got a nice keeper from Narrabeen Lake this evening so the practise has begun.

looking forward to seeing you there,

regards

"Sails"

Hi guys

A bit early, I know, but how great would it be for a bunch of Raiders to be up at Forster at the one time!?

I'd really like to tag a date for a Blackfish Social at Forster - The 1st weekend in June would be best for the full moon (blackfish are more active on the extreme tides) and away from school hols (last weekend), long weekends (2nd weekend) etc and the fish should be well & truly on the chew by then! It also won't be too cold at that point in time.

Those not really into blackies but keen to attend and learn how to, could also target jewies, flatties and bream - all found along the wall & in the lake! All you need is a long, bendy rod & small/med reel (eg 2500) and a long handled net, if fishing from the rocks! I'll try & make sure there is plenty of local weed available, but for those who can get it before they leave, bring it with you!

Let's put Forster on the Raider map!! Plenty of Raiders have been through Forster in the last month, and are aware of just how good it is! With luck, this could become a yearly event!!

Best of all, we can trade information & tips on catching the pesky blighters - see if the youngies can outfish the oldies?!

With the caravan park being right on the doorstep of the marina (Forster side) and equally as good for folk fishing the wall as from boats (probably even better fishing on the wall - you know that virtually every fish goes past there - and they do, in big schools!) There is a big park with bbqs at one end of the marina & the caravan park also has bbqs available for gatherings ...... it is really all there! Just walk to your spot & fish. Park your boat next to your cabin. There is even a pond on the breakwall that holds great weed that the blackies know & love. There are beach worms on the Main Beach (in the days leading up to the event, I can show those who don't know how) and fish in the lake - what more could we want?

I have checked with the Caravan park - first weekend of June has lots of cabins & caravan/campervan sites available - plus from April to Nov, if you book for 5 nights, you get 7 + a 10% discount on top of that for cabins!! The camp sites are a flat rate, I believe (for those just wanting a night or two in their own rig.) That should entice a few to stay for the week, eh?? Check out their website - Forster Caravan Park. I can always contact the caravan park to try & get raiders situated 'together' in the park for a more social gathering.

http://www.forsterbeachcaravan.com.au/game...er-Caravan.nsf/

They also have a regularly updated fishing section for their clients

http://www.forsterbeachcaravan.com.au/game...kes_fishing.htm

Cheerio

Roberta

PS I'm excited!

....PS - Any suggestions for entertainment for :wife: & kiddies (3mnths & 3 1/2 yrs) they won't be fishin' the rough stuff if at all but I'll probbly take the eldest down somewhere quiet so he can do some fishin' with Dad!

Hi Boofhead

There is a neat little playground/park immediately behind the Registration area (r/h side as you approach the caravan park.) Hopefully , your better half & kiddies will get on well with Aron's better half & kiddies to make a nice social group!! There is also a 'Kids Spot' for kids in Enterprise Court, across from the Library Ph 6557 2767 if you want to check out their activities .... also a 3 screen cinema complex in Tuncurry. Of course, there are the beaches (nice big pool on the Main Beach & a netted pool over in Tuncurry, plus freshwater pool Forster - but it may be a bit cool by then!) I will put my ears to the ground & check with friends that actually have kids!!

The public jetty in the Marina is a great spot to take the oldest one & Mum fishing - you can get into the blackies there as well!! I have seen some biiiig bream & flatties pulled in there - great place to catch slimeys & small bait fish when they are on. Put a livie out & you never know what you will get! I got blown away once with a livie on a handline there - the handline jumped out of the bucket & into the drink & I nearly jumped out of my skin with the size of the splash that happened simultaneously! For all I know, it might even have been a dolphin grabbing it! For the Littlies, just bread on small hooks under a float should do the trick!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Roberta has supplied a few nice pictures of the venue for your perusal :biggrin2:

The Breakwall.

post-256-1170236118_thumb.jpg

Breakwall Eddy near sign.post-256-1170236126_thumb.jpg

Breakwall End.

post-256-1170236135_thumb.jpg

Fish Cleaning /Rego Area.

post-256-1170236145_thumb.jpg

Marina /Park and Toilet Blocks.

post-256-1170236156_thumb.jpg

Park Bbqs.

post-256-1170236164_thumb.jpg

Park Jetty.

post-256-1170236171_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

hi roberta, this sounds like a great idea, ill have to do some work on the :wife: .shouldnt be too hard,her mum lives at smiths lake so im half way to luderick bliss...[blackfish that is]. i grew up as a kid catchig heaps in sydney harbour and hadnt fished for them for years until xmass when up forster and saw heaps schooling and playing in weedbeds.. returned next day and was like jumping in a time machine...oh what a geat buz that sinking float gives... kept 3 about 30cm for dinner and must of threw back about 20 most around 20 - 25cm....

so i guess im a maybe pending :wife: and work commitments..

tight lines............. steve...

just a tiddler ..... post-2219-1170248525_thumb.jpg

Edited by roosterman