Brothers Drown In Fishing Accident

mrmoshe

Brothers drown in fishing accident

POLICE divers will today search for the bodies of two brothers who are believed to have drowned after trying to retrieve a fishing rod on the Murray River.

Investigators believe a lack of water skills might have contributed to the men getting into difficulty in the river when they were carried away by the current.

A third brother also ran into trouble but made it to the river bank.

A police spokesman said the drama unfolded about 10am yesterday when the brothers, from Melbourne, went fishing at Boundary Bend, a small town on the Victorian side of the Murray River, about 50 kilometres from the NSW town of Euston.

One brother lost his rod and entered the water to try to get it back.

He was carried away by the current and another brother entered the water to help.

He also ran into trouble and the third brother then tried to rescue his siblings.

The first two brothers were swept away in the current, while the third man was able to clamber back to land.

Onlooker Jenny Artis said the surviving brother was frantically trying to raise help after the incident.

Ms Artis phoned triple-0.

Inspector John Sheehan of Deniliquin police said the section of the river where the men were fishing was known for dangerous rocks and eddies.

An emergency service volunteer said it appeared the men had struggled against the current, rather than working with it and swimming to shore.

NSW Police have jurisdiction over the Murray, which forms the border between NSW and Victoria.

NSW divers will search for the bodies of the men, who were aged 31 and 33.

Victorian police will help by providing sonar equipment.

Boundary Bend is a popular holiday town, renowned for its fishing.

This sort of tragedy is happening far too often because of non-swimmers taking part in water based activities - when are they going to learn??? Maybe we need to educate people from non-english speaking backgrounds more on the dangers of our waterways. Don't go off on me - I only say that as many of the latest fatalities have been people from non-english backgrounds who could not swim. Fact. It happens often.

Maybe instead of our stupid government making new Australians know the words to waltzing matilda or whatever the hell they are wanting to do, that they make it compulsory for some 'water safety' course. Afterall we are an island with many major river systems, its pretty likely people new to our country will be living near water and I think we have a responsibility to these people to ensure they know enough to stay safe.

This sort of tragedy is happening far too often because of non-swimmers taking part in water based activities - when are they going to learn??? Maybe we need to educate people from non-english speaking backgrounds more on the dangers of our waterways. Don't go off on me - I only say that as many of the latest fatalities have been people from non-english backgrounds who could not swim. Fact. It happens often.

Maybe instead of our stupid government making new Australians know the words to waltzing matilda or whatever the hell they are wanting to do, that they make it compulsory for some 'water safety' course. Afterall we are an island with many major river systems, its pretty likely people new to our country will be living near water and I think we have a responsibility to these people to ensure they know enough to stay safe.

Whilst you read about a good number of foreigners drowning in our waterways, the statistics prove that it is still a vastly greater proportion of Australians that drown, especially while rock fishing.

To say that non English speaking people are killed more often is just not true. A lot of Aussies can't swim either.

The latest statistics for this that I can find is an investigation of Coronial deaths while rock fishing, conducted by Safewaters NSW. in 2003.

http://www.safewaters.nsw.gov.au/assets/pd...port_sept03.pdf

(see page 11)

It shows that nearly 88% of tourists that drowned were Aussies. and 12% were from overseas.

It then gives a breakdown of fatalities by country.

Please do some research before posting your thoughts on matters like this as you will undoubtably be better informed.

Cheers,

Pete.

Please do some research before posting your thoughts on matters like this as you will undoubtably be better informed.

Cheers,

Pete.

Well done Pete,

I'm not talking 'residents', I'm talking 'country of origin', ie, 'non english speaking background' (and a few english/newzealanders thrown in, pardon the pun).

So in fact, I HAVE done my research. Look at the 'country of origin' table on that same page. 69.1% were from a country of origin other than Australia.

I rest my case for educating people new to our country.

Thanks for the interesting link though.

Edited by abitfishy

Well done Pete,

I'm not talking 'residents', I'm talking 'country of origin', ie, 'non english speaking background' (and a few english/newzealanders thrown in, pardon the pun).

So in fact, I HAVE done my research. Look at the 'country of origin' table on that same page. 69.1% were from a country of origin other than Australia.

I rest my case for educating people new to our country.

Thanks for the interesting link though.

A vast majority spoke english as their first language and its a shame that anyone from any origin or background loses thier lives doing what we all love (FISHING) :(

Cheers Swordfisherman

A vast majority spoke english as their first language and its a shame that anyone from any origin or background loses thier lives doing what we all love (FISHING) :(

Cheers Swordfisherman

Of course, it is a real shame. I was pointing out that maybe educating people of other 'countries of origin' may make a difference to these tragedys. I was not attempting to start a race debate or think the loss was any less of a loss due to the background of the people involved as it isn't (I am in fact married to someone from a similar background as these brothers) - the 69.1% fact speaks for itself that we could do more to assist these people. Just as my wife isn't a strong swimmer, nor are her family or friends with the same background, and I insist on a life jacket whenever we in a position where she could get into the water.

Not sure where Pete is coming from though, since his link actually confirms my point......maybe our wires are crossed. No harm done. :)

Edited by abitfishy

Of course, it is a real shame. I was pointing out that maybe educating people of other 'countries of origin' may make a difference to these tragedys. I was not attempting to start a race debate or think the loss was any less of a loss due to the background of the people involved as it isn't (I am in fact married to someone from a similar background as these brothers) - the 69.1% fact speaks for itself that we could do more to assist these people. Just as my wife isn't a strong swimmer, nor are her family or friends with the same background, and I insist on a life jacket whenever we in a position where she could get into the water.

Not sure where Pete is coming from though, since his link actually confirms my point......maybe our wires are crossed. No harm done. :)

Where Pete is coming from is from a factual document and that is all there is too it .

You have made your point and that will hopefully help others in the future .

Swordfisherman