Recipes For Bonito

mattdan

B)-->

QUOTE(Matty B @ Jan 28 2007, 08:58 PM) 142447[/snapback]
Hi all,

Was out Botany today on a charter. Come home with a good feed bream,flattie,whiting and Bonito.

I have never tried Bonito before so just wondering what they are like on the table and any recipes you may care to share.

MattyB

i prefer Bonito to be swiming with a 10/0 in its head :1prop:

Most people like it sashimi style with soy and wasabi... i have also heard it goes very well with some lemon pepper and steamed in the microwave for a few minutes.

yeh saw the steamed with lemon pepper thingy on a episode of ifish where the seal filleted it for them!! i would also agree theyre a great strip bait as well.

the main thing with bonito is to bleed them and remove the blood line. Some like them baterred in a cajun batter which is a beer batter with a few spices. sashimi is popular,

i like to rub chilli , paprika a good black pepper and salt and olive oil into the fillet which has been scored and then chargrill it on the coals or bbq it. if prepared right it should go ok!!

cheers pk.

Edited by pk-fishn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I tried cooking fresh bonito the other evening as i must say it was one of the nicest fish i have eaten and will not be using the bonnies as bait again! (unless i catch more than 1 or 2 in a session)

I fillted and cut into 4 pieces and then covered in cajun spices.....we then were ment to beer batter the fish but drank all the beer so used normal batter and then deep fried....VERY NICE!!

• 4 weeks later...

i cooked a fillet on the barbie today, just took 4 slices of lemon slaped em on the grill section sat the fillet on top to steam in lemon juice, beautifull.

i told every on at the barbie that most people dont like it and just use it for bait, after every one tried it they couldnt believe the statement i just made!!

• 1 month later...

i cooked a fillet on the barbie today, just took 4 slices of lemon slaped em on the grill section sat the fillet on top to steam in lemon juice, beautifull.

that's different !

I'll have to try that

have you used this method with other species of fish ?

Slices of tomato and onion stuffed inside, wrapped in alfoil and cooked on the barbie.

Something we found out by accident, they don't do so good if you catch and freeze. Fish goes all mushy after you thaw. So fresh is best.

Mrs Flightmanager