Home Made Prawn Light

arpie

Hi guys

I had an old 'headlight' style prawn light that bit the dust some time ago, so decided to have a go at making a 12v plastic version!

Kept the plastic handle & wiring from the old one & used a 'closed head' 12v 50w halogen globe (bought the wrong one for the camper, so good to find a use for it!) Fed the wire down a bit of electrical conduit (that fitted the handle) and attached a couple of electrical connectors onto the end of the wire, for the globe pins to fit in. Needed to squeeze them in a bit to make them snug. Also squeezed the electrical conduit top bit to an oblong to fit the bulb better. I had kept an obsolete part of an old mop, which the globe fitted into almost perfectly, so put that on the conduit, too. Cut some perspex into a circle that fitted into the mop bit & glued it in with windscreen silicon. Fitted connections on both wires to suit the battery & siliconed around the bottom bit of the mop (where it ends along the handle) so all is waterproof & tested it out on a 12v 10ah bicycle battery ...... I put the battery in a small backpack, so really easy to use - out of the way of the water, too!

Yippeee! Works a treat!

Now only have to test it out in salt water & grab the prawns!

post-2231-1170549753_thumb.jpg

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

we are going to have to re-name you "The Mother of Invention" soon Roberta. :1prop:

With the new prawn light and your mullet machine..what's next?? .......

Hi Pete

I just love to tinker - must be in my genes - my father was a tinkerer, also my brother! Everything has a secondary use after it's initial life has led to its demise!! it is difficult throwing some things out, as I keep thinking .... i know there must be something I can turn it into!

Real easy to make your own spinning lures - any old s/s cutlery will do - just check with the :wife: before raiding her drawers (kitchen ones, of course!) I have used the blades of knives as well as the handles (tailor/salmon) and still had hits. Also doesn't hurt the pocket so much when you literally 'throw it away' one day! I made some tiny ones from teaspoon handles - even a big blackie took it out on the rocks of Burgess beach! The spoon heads of course, are lures in themselves!

Cheerio for now

Roberta