Hawkesbury Sharks

rossco_g

I've been putting in a bit of effort down round berowra creek for jews over the full moon period, generally fishing live baits round the usual haunts, but lately i've been coming up with loads of sharks. I've caught three species in 3 weeks, Bull sharks, hammerheads and some very blue looking sharks.

Futunately they are all round the 2-3 ft mark, so not man eaters....So they're obviously spawning up the creek, maybe that means there are some big buggers up here too? Hope not cause i like to swim in the creek.

Can anyone shed some more light on the topic, are people catching more sharks than usual in the hawkesbury and creeks lately? is it breeding time for sharks? do they spawn up rivers?

On a more positive note i did land this 66cm jew in the creek last week. DSCF0003.JPG

Good to see you at least got one jewie for the effort.

Seems to be sharks everywhere at the moment. They are in the harbour with a report of a 3m recently at the wedding cakes area and heaps off the beaches. In one session recently near Long Reef we gave up on the jews as the sharks were hammering our baits. We landed a nice gummy and a big whaler. Got busted off one several bigger ones.

Watch out for those big bull breeders. I wouldnt be swimming in areas they are breeding.

Once the sharks move on the jewies should be easier to pick up.

Cheers and safe swimming.

Good to see you at least got one jewie for the effort.

Seems to be sharks everywhere at the moment. They are in the harbour with a report of a 3m recently at the wedding cakes area and heaps off the beaches. In one session recently near Long Reef we gave up on the jews as the sharks were hammering our baits. We landed a nice gummy and a big whaler. Got busted off one several bigger ones.

Watch out for those big bull breeders. I wouldnt be swimming in areas they are breeding.

Once the sharks move on the jewies should be easier to pick up.

Cheers and safe swimming.

When do you think the sharks will move on? lol

Interesting you should ask that. A mate and I were fishing off Juno Pt on Friday evening and all we could catch were small Hammerheads - landed about 5 of them in the space of a couple of hours before we decided to move off and try somewhere else. Not that I mind a bit of shark but it wasn't what we were after.

The Hammerheads were smashing the pillies we had out but none of the other baits or the soft plastics (which I did very well on only a couple of weeks ago in the same spot) got even a nibble. I was thinking that the sharks had frightened everything else off.

There were a pile of other boats out there on Friday - anyone catch anything different?

cheers

Mysterythecat

Sharks always move in at the peak of summer, every year,baby hammers, bronzies,school sharks and bulls, plus many port jackson babies! They stay in the river till the water cools, sharks and jews dont like the same water! This is normal in the river, it happens every year, it will happen next year. Just keep trying and you will nail a bigger model, the pilons next to the ferry wharf at Berowra hold some big fish.

K.

Sharks always move in at the peak of summer, every year,baby hammers, bronzies,school sharks and bulls, plus many port jackson babies! They stay in the river till the water cools, sharks and jews dont like the same water! This is normal in the river, it happens every year, it will happen next year. Just keep trying and you will nail a bigger model, the pilons next to the ferry wharf at Berowra hold some big fish.

K.

Yeah i have been finding alot of small PJ shark egg casings round the rocks down on the creek latley so fair call. The old fishos on the river all say the pilons are good too, i've tried there a few times with little luck. The one in the photo was caught past the ferry in the channel on a live herring.

The other good spot is the drop off on the western point of deep bay.

Been some squid in the creek lately, worth a try! they're perfect live bait size.

R.

I have caught a few small jew up to 4kg in joe crafts creek over in the deeper water near the rock wall. As for the sharks i have been bitten off a few times in berowra but never had a real go at catching them. Out the front near lion island at this time of year we have had some great nights chasing sharks and landed hammers up to 7ft or around 40kg whalers of similar length just a lot heavier and hooked something one night that we busted off after 2hrs on stand up 15kg when we realised he may have been a bit big for the 15ft centre console.

i fished juno sat night and got busted up once as fish went under and around motor. :05: no idea as to what as only lasted about 2 min. got one small jew about 50cm and about 5 or 6 eels. ther was another guy with livies out and i dont think he did any good either.couple other boats came and went .was a nice night on the water though.anyway in regards to sharks i decided to drift towards walkers before pulling the pin around 3am and got this small hammerhead on a fairly big live tailor. took him home for dinner and tasted pretty good.

last year i was drifting towards lion island using a large yakka and hooked what i think was one mother of a shark,actually stopped my drifting and was about to tow my 14ft pongrass when thankfully it busted my line.had a sore back but good story on the one that got away..

post-2219-1170763274_thumb.jpg