Favorite Jewfish Meal..

Guest danielinbyron

Guest danielinbyron

Just whack the head on a hotplate, the skins so thick it can burn without hurting the flesh .. then get a table spoon and dig out the cheeks ...watch the eyes don't come with it... the best.Makes it heaps easier to get the jewels out to.

post-1693-1171143715_thumb.jpg

Edited by danielinbyron

when we use to get big jewies,or any other decent fish at the restaurant i'd get someone

to help me and split the head down the middle with a cleaver and mallet then whack some

garlic and chilli on it and a bit of oil and then put them under a griller.great for big parrotfish,snapper

and mackeral.yum.

Guest danielinbyron

Jesus guys its not that bad ... behind the eyes is the cheeks ..about two big table spoons worth of the best flesh on the fish..ya just spoon it out onto a plate, skin peels away .No brains or eyes or tongue or anything ..ya big girls blouses .. :074:

Guest danielinbyron

thanks mate ..i gotta tell ya the closest thing i can compare the cheeks of a big jew to is crab .... I guess once you see it on the plate , its different..But its always offered to the guest at the barby out of respect and courtesy and never had anyone say anything other than adiment praise. I did accidentally serve an eye up to my mates wife but once . :074::074:

my boss was from portugal ,and always got me to split the heads of parrotfish eg 3 to 5kg specimens

id have 5 or 6 heads all split laid out on a couple of big trays and whacked under the grillers.

the cheeks and upper forehead and around the jaw are awesome,and i couldnt leave out the wings

as well.

G`day Fellas ,

If you have ever Had a Snag on A barbie , then I have to tell you that , 80% of the Meat comes from the boned out cheeks and heads of the Steers at the Abattoirs.

The rest is scraps from the Butchers boning and Trimmings , + the Odd bit of Offal.

So A Boned out Jewie Head would make lovely Jewfish Sausages , mmmmmmmmm pass the tomato Sauce Puleeze.

Mick

I'm 100% behind Dan on this one as well.

The very sweetest flesh on any fish is in the cheeks, although on most smaller fish the cheeks are so small that it's hardly worth it. Dan's not recommending that you eat the head - just the beautiful flesh right behind the eyes!!

I recommend that everyone give it a try next time they've fried of baked a whole fish. You'll be surprised.

• 1 month later...

Just whack the head on a hotplate, the skins so thick it can burn without hurting the flesh .. then get a table spoon and dig out the cheeks ...watch the eyes don't come with it... the best.Makes it heaps easier to get the jewels out to.

Have to agree with Dan, the cheeks are awesome, so is the meat above the head - where it joins to the spine.

When we have fish head soup, the cheeks are always the first to go, followed by the eyeball and fish brains !!!

Sounds grouse, but us asians eat everything !!!! Waste not, want not.

• 2 months later...

dan is onto a winner here... anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of eating the cheek meat from a snapper, drummer or jew is missing out big time..... luckily all my mates are soft... i get all the cheeks mmmmmmm... if kiwis eat it its usually great -- read usually -- urchins have me beat...