Help On Dee Why Fishing

Dlai

Hi, Ive read that night fishing at Dee Why is producing some good results recently, and Im wondering where abouts you can fish at Dee Why. Are there any wharfs or platforms I can fish from, or is it mainly beach fishing there.

Ive been trying Manly with some friends for a few weeks now, but we havent been sucessful there yet, and we're looking for a new place.

Btw, we can only go land fishing since we dont have a boat.

Thanks

Edited by Dlai

Hi, Ive read that night fishing at Dee Why is producing some good results recently, and Im wondering where abouts you can fish at Dee Why. Are there any wharfs or platforms I can fish from, or is it mainly beach fishing there.

Ive been trying Manly with some friends for a few weeks now, but we havent been sucessful there yet, and we're looking for a new place.

Btw, we can only go land fishing since we dont have a boat.

Thanks

G'day Dlai and :1welcomeani: to the forums.

Dee Why is all beach as well as the swimming pool at the southern end. I think the reports you have

heard refer to the beach.

Fishing at night on Dee Why beach is producing jewfish, tailor, bream, salmon as well as sharks.

The baths on the sthn. end is a bit tricky as there is usually a fair bit of wash onto the rocks there. You can also fish the rock platforms to the south of the pool but be careful as it can also be tricky if you have no experience in rock fishing.

Try the beach at night...or go for a walk and talk to some of the regulars down at the beach and they will perhaps give you some clues as to what's biting lately.

Good luck with your fishing.

Cheers,

Pete.

Thanks for the reply. :biggrin2:

I don't have much experience in beach fishing, so this might be a silly question... do we have to actually step into the water to cast, or would casting from a dry area be good enough to reach the fishes? And does it matter if its high/low tide, or do we just anytime as long as its night?

Dlai

:thumbup:

You will definitely need a long rod and decent reel. You can buy good and fairly cheap beach outfits...Give our sponsors Wattos or Fishfinder Bait & Tackle a call and they can set you up with a good combo at a reasonable rate and remember, as a Fishraider member, you will got a good discount.

BTW..Watto's are having a 20% off storwide sale just for Fishraider members this coming Friday, so you should take advantage of that and look for a nice beach combo there. Watto (Sean) is the fella to talk to regarding beach fishing too...come along and meet some fellow Raiders and pick their brains on beach fishing.

You don't have to wade out at all as you can beach fish on dry land. You will need some fairly substantial line and some heavier weight sinkers to cast out beyond the waves.

It would probably be a good idea to go down to Dee Why Beach in the early evening/night and see what gear the other fishos are using and have a yarn with them and observe how they fish to get a good understanding of beach fishing with rigs, baits etc.

Beach fishing can be very productive and a rising tide is probably better than a falling tide, although others may disagree. baits consists of squid, pilchards, prawns, mullet strips, tailor fillets and just about anything, depending on what you are targeting.

You can get pre rigged beach rigs at the tackle stores which may be easier than trying to rig your own in the beginning, but you should try and learn the different rigs, knots and terminal tackle as there are so many different types.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure there are a lot of more experienced beach fishos on here willing to give you some advice.

Good luck with it and hope to read your first successful report on your first beach fishing outing.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Hi,

I have fished Dee Why for a PB Salmon, around 80-90cm, ages ago. Will try and show u a pic. The trick to Dee Why is to find that gutter. Sunset for salmon, sunrise and sunset for tailor, night for Jews and sharks. All in the one good gutter.

For rigs, we used a heavy sinker with pillies on gang hooks. Live yakka's also picked up a shark. One thing to remember though, look for the gutter. Not where everyone else is fishing!!!!

:1fishing1:

henners

Hi,

I have fished Dee Why for a PB Salmon, around 80-90cm, ages ago. Will try and show u a pic. The trick to Dee Why is to find that gutter. Sunset for salmon, sunrise and sunset for tailor, night for Jews and sharks. All in the one good gutter.

For rigs, we used a heavy sinker with pillies on gang hooks. Live yakka's also picked up a shark. One thing to remember though, look for the gutter. Not where everyone else is fishing!!!!

:1fishing1:

henners

Good point Henners...forgot to mention the gutters...most important.

Pete.

Whats the best way to tell where there is a gutter?

Look for the green water, where the waves are not breaking. Gutters normally run parallel to the beach and you will often see broken waves reforming in the deeper water of the gutter. These waves will then break again on the shoreline.

Dee Why beach has fished pretty poorly (for me) recently, despite there being some good gutters. Zenman and I have put in the hours for nothing but rays, shovelnoses and banjos. Hope you fare better.

I went to Dee Why beach today just to check out where the gutters are (but didn't fish), but I wasn't sure if they were the gutters or not. I thought it was the blue, deeper looking area, but that was really far out and I dont think you can cast that far. Or is it just where the waves dont break?

If anyone has a aerial photo that points out the gutters it would be really helpful :1prop:

Cheers :beersmile:

PM me next time you go in the afternoon, i live across the road well kind of, Pittwater rd, and i can meet you down there and show you if you like.

post-3476-1172202561_thumb.jpg

In the image above, I have tried to highlight for you (in red) what a gutter looks like from above. Obviously, you cant see your beach from above, but if you can get somewhere high it will help you see tham. The gutter is the area of deep water. There are several more gutters up the beach too.

The do always move, often in an hour, a gutter can form, move, change or dissappear so you need to keep an eye on things. The rougher the surf, the more sand moving, the more gutters change. get down to your beach in the middle of the day if you can and get up somewhere nice and high if possible, youll get an eye for them. Practice makes perfect.

Hope this has helped a bit.

Look for the green water, where the waves are not breaking. Gutters normally run parallel to the beach and you will often see broken waves reforming in the deeper water of the gutter. These waves will then break again on the shoreline.

Dee Why beach has fished pretty poorly (for me) recently, despite there being some good gutters. Zenman and I have put in the hours for nothing but rays, shovelnoses and banjos. Hope you fare better.

Humesy, i've had the same problem fishing Dee Why the last few weeks as well. One thing maybe worth noting though, last time I went down I switched from beach worms, which I usually use, to nippers. Bagged 4 keeper Whiting and a couple under-size Bream in a couple of hours of fishing with no trashy throw backs, don't know if this has anything to do with it???

Cheers,

Mark