Anyone Eat Squid Caught In The Harbour

zrealist

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone eats the squid they catch from the harbour, is it safe to eat?

If so does anyone have a recipes for cooking squid?

Cheers

The jury is out on whether squid taken from the harbour is safe to eat.

Personally, I wouldn't eat it with all the dioxin problems there at the moment, but it's up to you.

As for recipes, Have you ever had salt & pepper chilli squid? Deeeeelicious!!

Here's one recipe I found on Ninemsn that looks promising.

There's also a recipe in the recipes section for plain crumbed squid rings Here

Cheers and enjoy:

Pete.

Salt and chilli squid

by Miccal Cummins, "Gastronome"

Serving size: Serves 2

Cooking time: Less than 30 minutes

Szechwan (Sichuan) pepper is available from Asian groceries. If you cannot find it, increase the chilli powder and white pepper slightly.

INGREDIENTS

¼ cup potato flour

¼ cup self-raising flour

¼ cup cornflour

½ level tbs chilli powder

½ level tsp ground white pepper

½ level tsp ground Szechwan pepper

½ level tsp fine salt

6 squid, cleaned (include tentacles if desired)

1 egg white

Oil to fry, preferably corn oil or good quality vegetable oil

1 eschallot, sliced thinly

1 large red chilli, finely chopped

METHOD

Mix all the salt and pepper flour ingredients and sieve three times. Set aside.

Wash the squid and then open it up and cut along the side into two flat pieces. Score the inner side in a diamond pattern with a sharp knife and then cut into strips approximately 3cm by 7cm.

Whisk the egg white a little to break it up so it isn't a single mass. Dry the squid thoroughly and mix it with the egg white.

Pull a few pieces of squid out of the egg white at a time and toss into the flour, then shake and fry in hot oil (200°C).

Drain on paper. Toss with eschallot, chilli and a little extra salt if desired. Eat immediately.

Edited by MallacootaPete

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yer I would eat the squid.. the dioxin stuff is bullcrap.. they just brought it about to stop the flow if fish being taken as they were becoming depleted drastically within the harbour. I'm sure fishermen from years back can back me up on this... the harbour had A LOT more fish around 8 years back..

Recipe:

- olive oil

- lemon rind

- Hot chillies.. about 3 finely chopped ( if your man enough :P ) get the small red ones.. :lol:

- Corriander.. finely chopped

- Salt

- Pepper

mix.. together and allow it to rest for about an hr then mix again and leave it for another hour.. then cook:)

Wooshka ;) Simple but does the job!...tastes great

add freshly squeezed lemonn juice, once cooked and ready to be served.

Enjoy

• 4 weeks later...

We eat the squid we get sometimez..... but only southern calamari definately not arrows!!!!!!!

D & G

Why not the arrows? dont they taste as good or is it a dioxin thing??

I am quite sceptical about the whole dioxin issue however apparently the harbour squid have 20 times the excepted level. I got this from a post in chat, the topic was what was worse smoking or eating harbour fish. I eat all fish I catch but about 99% of them are from wedding cakes around to nth harbour and all of middle harbour.

Why not the arrows? dont they taste as good or is it a dioxin thing??

I am quite sceptical about the whole dioxin issue however apparently the harbour squid have 20 times the excepted level. I got this from a post in chat, the topic was what was worse smoking or eating harbour fish. I eat all fish I catch but about 99% of them are from wedding cakes around to nth harbour and all of middle harbour.

Hey dicko.

We have found that the arrows are definately not as tender to eat as the southerns (only our opinion at least)

D & G

The Dioxin contamination in the harbour is real - don't kid yourselves.

Ian McDonald, the NSW minister for fisheries, is a family friend and I can assure you he didn't want to close the harbour to commercial fishing. It was done under significant duress following undeniable dioxin contamination. Having said that - the jury is most certainly still out on whether the dioxin, even at the heightened levels detected, poses any risk.

As for squid - they are definitely high risk and should be avoided within the harbour, particularly upstream. The dioxin contamination comes from prawns that live in the mud near the old industrial sites - so anything that eats Sydney Harbour prawns as its main diet is going to be contaminated.

As Sydney Harbour squid are a voracious consumer of Sydney Harbour prawns then we eat them at our own risk. Just consider what animal squid jigs are designed to represent.

I wouldn't eat too much squid from the harbour.

This is something totally off the topic.

But here goes,

I had salt and pepper squid on the weekend from this Malaysian place and it was really nice.

Anyone here had that before?

you are one very offtopic bloke :P:1prop::Funny-Post:

This is something totally off the topic.

But here goes,

I had salt and pepper squid on the weekend from this Malaysian place and it was really nice.

Anyone here had that before?

:Funny-Post::074::Funny-Post:

very funny!! but yeah have had my fair share of salt n pepper squid, im a big fan!

• 2 weeks later...

Southern calamari squid are best cooked quickly - in hot oil, deep fried or shallow fried in a hot pan or BBQ

Either in rings or better still split the tube flat, score it on one side in a diamond shape then cut it

into strips. When it cooks it will curl up like in you see in most asian dishes.

It will cook a lot faster, and be a lot more tender

Crumbed is ok if you want to eat it with tartare sauce - but the best way is to completely dry the squid

with paper towels before putting it in the hot oil with no coatings at all. Cook it until it just starts to turn a light golden colour which wont take long at all - drain off the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper

( or sezchuan pepper from the Asian grocery store )

Arrow Squid are best cooked slowly- as when the squid is first cooked it goes tough then goes tender.

A good way is to clean the tubes - chop up the tentacles mix them with bread crumbs, onions and spices

stuff it into the tubes and bake for 30 minutes or so in covered in a can of diced tomatoes & juice and onions.

I agree with Dan & Greg that arrows aren’t as tender as the southern’s - so they are best cooked in the oven in soups or tomato based dishes or slow cooked in pasta sauces

Anyone who tells you to soak your squid in Milk or Kiwi Fruit is an idiot. They are the same people

who tell you to put salt in your boiling water to keep peas and beans green...

Why would you want your squid to taste like kiwifruit???

Every TV chef tells you it will make the squid tender.

The only way squid gets tough is if you over cooked it - It still tastes good just takes longer to eat,

or its the rubbish imported stuff.

Fresh frozen squid you caught yourself is usually more tender than fresh as when the ice crystals

form inside the flesh expands the cells and tenderises them.

Any imported squid bought from the fishmarkets is pretty much rubbish, full of chemicals to preserve and

whiten the flesh. I have bought squid from fish shops for bait that after smelling it I wouldn’t put it anywhere near my mouth. If you want to eat squid from the markets the only ones to eat are "fresh local" or "Fresh SA" southern calamari or fresh "hawkesbury" arrows and it shouldn’t smell except of the sea

Fresh caught/bought vs imported bought is like chalk and cheese if you cooked them side by side you

would give the bought stuff to the cat.

Most restaurants use the cheap stuff - but because you don’t have a reference while your eating it tastes

good. ( like drinking a $50 bottle of Shiraz followed by the house red...)

Although its probably safer to eat the harbour squid than the imported stuff

Jason