Bbq Plate

Geoff

Use PPE mask, apron, gloves, goggles as the chemical is highly toxic if inhaled freely and can give a nasty rash.

Not entirely sure I would be happy eating off something has been cleaned like that. If you cant breath it i doubt it is healthy to eat it.

Dave

Not sure ir this is quite the right place for this post , but hear goes ,

I frequently read in the fishing reports lines like , threw the fish on the Barby , it was great

The question is , straight onto the plate or wrapped in foil , perhaps something else

My BBQ is the average type , cast iron plate on one side & grill on the other. Steak , sausages are the main meals & over the years the plate has become impregnated with meat flavour.

I try heating the plate until very hot then on with the water to steam clean. This removes a lot of the fat & the plate looks clean but the meat taste stills seems to migrate into the fish.

How do you clean your plate or perhaps use a seperate one for fish

Was thinking of getting a S/S plate as they do not absorb the food flavor .

Your advice would be appreicated

Tks

Geoff

G,day Geoff

i find after you have washed your plates by the water method you heat up the plates again then using a lemon cut in half you scrub the plates with them works for me.

Thanks to all for your comments. Tried a few with minor sucess as I discovered it was realy caked on.

Put the plate into the dishwasher when the :wife: was not looking to clean off loose grease etc.

Applied several coats of BBQ plate cleaner but that only had a minor effect even with scrubbig & scraping.

Finally , out with the elect. drill & wire brush.

15min later shiney , like brand new

Covered with a light wipe cooking oil.

Moral of the story , I need to clean down the plate properly after each use & not let any build up occur.

Now just need to catch some fish to give it a test run.

Geoff

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

OK the big question is cast iron ,stainless , personally a lot of things stick to stainless and too much effort to clean while carst iron can be turned into a totall NON-STICK surface . It doesnt matter if its a WOK ,frypan , dutch oven or bbq hot plate Only thing is u cant really stick a hotplate in a oven unless its commercial size . You can check out video's on certain websites. Use lard to season as it doesnt go off as quick as vege oil .Heating up opens the pore's of the iron and by using lard u fill up the microscopic pores then as it cools down these same pores close up. The "petina" you see on chinese woks allows them to be super nonstick.To wash use warm soapy water NO HARSH cleaners And its pretty metal friendly unlike some tefloncoated which will come off as i use these pans everyday at work.my favourite's are Scanpan Titanium and Circulon elite but .both have done about 5000 serves of scambled eggs over a 2yr time frame. ID take your cast iron off give it a hard going over with metal brush and start from scratch again ,it wont take u long over a couple of days just wipe it really dry after wash wipe down with lard heat on low to mid for 20min then let it cool down then wipe it down again and heat up again. Id do this 4 or 5 times before use.

seems like a waste of gas but it's the end result we want .chef for 14yrs and still is i love camparing my hotplate to brother-inlaw's like chalk and cheese. :1prop: the taste of the meat is probably from being too hot at sum time with meat on it which has degraded into the pores of the iron.

craig.