Lake Macquarie

coastie

Hi Coastie

This is the latest fishing report on Lake Macquarie.....

LAKE MAQUAIRE/SWANSEA:

Rain, rain and more rain has been falling lately and this can only be a good sign for the jew as it should flush the fish out of the tributaries and a full moon on the weekend. Cobia are starting to be taken in the channel as a female angler landed one and didn't keep it??? but took the pic down to the warehouse to identify the catch. Madman and his father caught one just under a metre on the western side of the trench and a nice bag of reds thrown in as well. Vinnie reports of bream being taken from the jetties at Elebana on small poppers with the unusual catch of a mullet taken whilst the lure wasn't being worked.

Flathead are the pick of the species at the moment with most areas of the lake holding good eating sized flathead. If luring from shore try Naru Inlet, Wangi rock ledges and Green Point bay as they are all firing, just remember to let the larger one go if you have a feed as they dont turn into breeding females till they get up to the 2kg class.

Bream are being taken at the potholes and the barge on sun up and sun down on mullet strips and waykel's prawns.....Anthony (Lake Macquarie Fishing Guide)

Cheers

Jill

Yep, Tony,s report sums it up pretty well but in addition there have been schools of Tailor (25cm-45cm) busting the surface between coal and wangi points, got into them last Sat with over 30 caught and 6 kept all over 40 mark. Dora Ck mouth should be working with the fresh water flush out as well on the outgoing tide.

Cheers

Geoff

• 3 years later...

There's bream and flathead throughout the lake, you can catch both species all over the lake, maybe it's just your technique or bait your using etc.

They like plastics on slow retrieve, live poddy mullet, worm.

Hang in there, you'll get one eventually.

I'm holding my inaugral flatty bash up on the lake this year... great to hear there's plenty of fish being caught.

Going to holding a comp similar to the guys down at Mallacoota. They've inspired me big time.

Accom's booked. We've gone the Black Label instead of Blue Label to keep things on the cheaper side. Now i've just got to find a flatty loser hat and a trophy.

3 boat race at this stage.

Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...