Sounder Reviews

caine

I've got a Lowrance X136DF and find it an excellent sounder.

Display <<

Sharp 5" (12.7 cm) diagonal high-contrast Film SuperTwist LCD

480V x 480H resolution

Newly-advanced white LED backlit screen and keypad

16-level grayscale

4 background gray tone choices

Performance Features <<

Depth penetration to 2,500 feet* (760 m)

4,000 W peak-to-peak power

Dual frequency 200/50 kHz Skimmer® transducer with built-in temp/speed/distance readings

FlashGraf™ LCD flasher+sonar graph with GRAYLINE®

Adjustable ping speed automatically engages HyperScroll™ for locating fish targets at higher boat speeds

FasTrack™ vertical flasher bar

Overlay data

Standard sonar features - Advanced Signal Processing (ASP™), GRAYLINE®, Advanced Fish Symbol I.D.™, FishTrack™, multi-zoom options, sonar alarms, backup memory, and more

Plus <<

NMEA 2000® compatible for LowranceNET™ networking

Back-up memory saves customized settings

Protective screen cover

Sealed and waterproof

Full one-year warranty

What did you pay for it - $400.00 AU Delivered

Value for Money - Yes

Easy to use- Yes

In your opinion, does it find fish accurately - Yes

In your opinion, does it some bait balls accurately - Yes

In your opinion, does it read the bottom accurately -Yes

Any extras worth mentioning - You can download an emulator for the sounder so you know how to use it, well before you put it in the boat!

What are you able to do with your sounder - Find fish

What can't you do with your sounder - Make a cuppachino

Your (personal opinion) rating out of 10 overall - 9

Pic - See below.

post-194-1175382543_thumb.jpg

Snapper! BABY... YEAH!!!!!

Edited by Heath

• 3 weeks later...

Thats not a bad idea and may bring a bit more exposure to our next workshop on the 10th May 2007 with Lowrance :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

We have a lowrance x135 and is very user friendly and still reads at 32 knots with the high speed tansducer.

post-256-1175338696_thumb.jpg

FEATURES

Display <<

480V x 480H resolution

16-level grayscale

Performance Features <<

Depth penetration to 1000 feet* (305 m)

High-performance transom-mount 200 kHz 60º Skimmer® transducer with built-in temp sensor

Adjustable ping speed automatically engages HyperScroll™ for locating fish targets at higher boat speeds

Overlay data

Standard sonar features - Advanced Signal Processing (ASP™), GRAYLINE®, Advanced Fish Symbol I.D.™, FishTrack™, multi-zoom options, sonar alarms, backup memory, and more

Plus <<

Protective screen cover

Sealed and waterproof

What did you pay for it - $600

Value for Money - Yes

Easy to use- Yes

Any extras worth mentioning? The online demo can be downloaded and used to help you learn its functions.

What are you able to do with your sounder - Keeps a log of how many hrs on water, water temp

What can't you do with your sounder - not much

:dito: But I paid $400AU bought it while on a business trip.

GARMIN 178C Sounder/Plotter

Purchased for $750 AU delivered....

Garmin GPSMAP 178C Sounder Specifications

Case Plastic Alloy

Unit Dimensions 6.3" x 4.9" x 3.7" (W x H x D)

Weight Internal Antenna: 23.9 oz, External Antenna: 23.6 oz

Display Type 256-Color CSTN

Display Viewing Area 3.2" W x 3.2" H (4.5" diagonal)

Display Resolution 320 x 320 pixels

Backlight Adjustable CCFL

Processor 200MHz

Transducer Frequencies 200kHz Single, 50/200kHz Dual

Transmit Power (Dual-frequency transducer) 500Watts (RMS) 4000Watts (PTP) output

Transmit Power (Single-frequency transducer) 400Watts (RMS) 3200Watts (PTP) output

Receiver 12 parallel channel

Waypoints/icons 3000 waypoints, 10 nearest, 10 proximity

Routers 50 reversible routes with up to 50 points each, plus MOB and TracBack® modes

Antenna Internal/External available

Alarms Anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint, and clock

Maps Basemap, uploadable maps

Power source 12V DC, 1.2 Amperes (10-35 V range)

Warranty 1 year

This sounder was recommended to me by another raider and has been an awesome sounder....

Here is a link to a reveiw for it

Garmin 178c Reveiw

GARMIN 178C Sounder/Plotter

Purchased for $750 AU delivered....

Garmin GPSMAP 178C Sounder Specifications

Case Plastic Alloy

Unit Dimensions 6.3" x 4.9" x 3.7" (W x H x D)

Weight Internal Antenna: 23.9 oz, External Antenna: 23.6 oz

Display Type 256-Color CSTN

Display Viewing Area 3.2" W x 3.2" H (4.5" diagonal)

Display Resolution 320 x 320 pixels

Backlight Adjustable CCFL

Processor 200MHz

Transducer Frequencies 200kHz Single, 50/200kHz Dual

Transmit Power (Dual-frequency transducer) 500Watts (RMS) 4000Watts (PTP) output

Transmit Power (Single-frequency transducer) 400Watts (RMS) 3200Watts (PTP) output

Receiver 12 parallel channel

Waypoints/icons 3000 waypoints, 10 nearest, 10 proximity

Routers 50 reversible routes with up to 50 points each, plus MOB and TracBack® modes

Antenna Internal/External available

Alarms Anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint, and clock

Maps Basemap, uploadable maps

Power source 12V DC, 1.2 Amperes (10-35 V range)

Warranty 1 year

This sounder was recommended to me by another raider and has been an awesome sounder....

Here is a link to a reveiw for it

Garmin 178c Reveiw

Great unit ! Cheers kelvin

I use a stickmaster 114W , good for depths up to 3 feet , and gives accurate depths at any speed , but you do need to keep a firm grip!! Draws no power , no cables , multi-view technology .

When at anchor , just tie a line to the end and it doubles as a fishing rod !!

post-2063-1178013562_thumb.jpg

I use a stickmaster 114W , good for depths up to 3 feet , and gives accurate depths at any speed , but you do need to keep a firm grip!! Draws no power , no cables , multi-view technology .

When at anchor , just tie a line to the end and it doubles as a fishing rod !!

You've only scratched the surface of its many uses...

Can be used as :

A poker to wake up your sleeping fishing buddy

A pacifyer when you bring in lively fish

Stick a large hook on the end and it becomes a gaff

Just a few.

:Funny-Post::Funny-Post::Funny-Post: LOL LOL LOL

Tell you what - it would have been bloody handy at the Entrance on the weekend ..... to pole you off the flats (not you personally, Ross, of course!!!......)

Seriously, tho - it is one of the quietest methods of anchoring a boat in shallow water - if your boat has handles at the back or front, shove the pole thru it as far as you need, into the sand. Very quiet & effective. Some folk have two fitted to the outside of the boat so they can 'anchor up' sideways. (pop rivetted a couple of hook type things for them to sit on, or even use bungey & Hobie type set up used for paddles..... and of course, poling yourself off again later!

Cheers

Roberta

PS I have a Cuda 168 and I was bloody pleased it had the shallow water alarm system on it for the Entrance Social & advise all to make sure their next one does too!! It saved major damage to my Hobie fins!

Real easy to use - It didn't come with a manual altho I did find one on the net. I easily flicked thru it on the water on Friday & set the Shallow Depth alarm with no hassles (didn't bring the manual with me!)

I had it reading to depths of .3m & had it set to alarm at .5m, to give me time to spot deeper water before hitting the fins. Altho I must actually read the whole thing - my screen looks nothing like the screen on the photo!! Mine had funny looking fish (not nicely defined showing fish depth as on the photo) and appeared to have 2 ' sea bottoms'. Must have done something wrong! Hmmmm maybe not so squeezy! Must have another play with it!

Half the info below means absolutely nothing to me at all! Does it show fish? YES Does it show depth? YES Does it have Shallow Depth Alarm? YES That is all I need to know!

post-2231-1178067705_thumb.png

Case size:........Cuda 128 and Cuda 168: 5.8" H x 4.3" W x 2.5" D (14.7 cm H x 10.8 cm W x 6.6 cm D).

Cuda 168EX: 5.4" H x 6.9" W x 3.4" D (13.8cm H x 17.6 cm W x 8.6 cm D).

Sealed, waterproof; suitable for saltwater use.

Display:............................High-contrast Film SuperTwist LCD.

Diagonal viewing area:

Cuda 128 and Cuda 168: 4.0" (10.2 cm).

Cuda 168EX: 4.5" (11.4 cm).

Resolution:........Cuda 168 & 168 EX: 168 pixels (vert.) x 132 pixels (horiz.) res; 22,176 total pixels.

Backlighting:..................Backlit screen and keypad for night use.

Input power:...................10 to 17 volts DC.

Current drain:...............110 ma lights off; 250 ma lights on.

Back-up memory:..........Built-in memory stores sonar settings when unit is turned off.

Sonar Frequency:......................200 kHz.

Transducers:..................A Skimmer? transducer comes packed with your sonar unit. Its 20° cone angle offers a wide fish detection area of up to 60o with high sensitivity settings.

Transmitter:...................800 watts peak-to-peak; 100 watts RMS.

Sonar sounding

depth capability:...........600 feet (180 meters). Actual capability depends on transducer configuration and

installation, bottom composition and water conditions. All sonar units typically read deeper in fresh water than in salt water.

Depth display:................Continuous digital readout.

Audible alarms:.............Deep/shallow/fish.

Automatic ranging:.......Yes.

Auto bottom track:........Yes.

Zoom bottom track:......Yes.

Surface water temp:.....Yes.

Edited by Roberta

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lowrance LCX-37C

8.4" diag. SVGA, 256-color SolarMAX™ TFT display for maximum visibility and widest viewing angles even in bright sunlight

600V x 800H pixel resolution for superb sonar target detail/separation and exceptional chart definition

Advanced fluorescent cold-cathode screen and keypad backlighting

Up to 1 kW RMS (8,000 watts peak-to-peak) transmit power for depths to 3,000 ft. (915 m) with 50 kHz*

NMEA 2000® connectivity for versatile data-sharing with all NMEA 2000 protocol networks and sensors

5-pin Ethernet expansion port compatible for radar, video and satellite radio

Features

NMEA 2000® Connectivity

Designed compatibility for versatile performance data-sharing with all NMEA 2000® protocol networks and sensors.

SolarMAX™ Displays

A proprietary Lowrance color screen technology that uniquely produces maximum visibility with the widest viewing angles even in bright sunlight. Also enhances the rendering of exceptional display detail and definition.

Select Sonar Features

Advanced new sonar receiver technology reduces interference and enhances sensitivity and picture quality

Built-in 50/200 kHz dual-frequency selectivity

Up to 1 kW RMS (8,000 watts peak-to-peak) transmit power for depths to 3,000 ft. (915 m) with 50 kHz*

High-speed Skimmer® transducers feature built-in water temp sensor

Adjustable Ping Speed with automatic HyperScroll™ for high-speed sounding

Unique FlashGraf™ feature with combined digital flasher/sonar graph display

COLORLINE™ enhances target separation and helps define bottom composition

Multiple color sonar display modes for angler preference and light conditions

FasTrack™ vertical bar flasher shows real-time sonar returns and echo strength

Select Chartplotter Features

Full 12-parallel channel GPS+WAAS precision for location accuracy

Newly-expanded built-in background map of the continental U.S. and Hawaii with interstate exit services, plus nav aids and wrecks & obstructions and greatly enhanced marine detail

Compatible with optional plug-&-play Lowrance FreedomMaps™, Fishing Hot Spots® PRO, LakeMaster® ProMaps, NauticPath™ Coastal & International, and Navionics® electronic charts on MMC/SD cards

Stores up to 1,000 waypoints, 1,000 event markers, 100 routes (up to 100 waypoints/route)

Up to 100 retraceable plot trails, up to 10,000 points in any trail

37 zoom ranges, 0.05 to 4,000 miles

42 graphic icons to mark key spots

Arrival, Off Course, Anchor alarms

System Enhancements

Hyper-enhanced sonar/chartplotter data processing speed

Super-fast screen updates

Ethernet expansion port compatible for radar, video and satellite radio

Two full RS-232 duplex ports

Waterproof slots for up to two MMC/SD memory cards (not included) to record sonar graphs and GPS data files, and to plug-&-play specialty mapping options or easily load operating firmware feature upgrades

Unique Resize Window to adjust split-screen display, and Overlay Data feature to place any sonar/GPS data on any full- or split-screen display, anywhere, in alpha numeric digitals or analog gauge display

Safety Features

Internal back-up memory for key sonar settings/crucial GPS data

One-touch MOB (Man Overboard)

Completely sealed and waterproof

Set us back $3500

post-2250-1183890177_thumb.gif

Edited by james1990

• 2 months later...

Here is my Raymarine DS400x that I purchased in the US during a holiday (coincidently this was the only one I could find in the US that actually had a metric and imperial scales) it’s a good little unit with dual frequency 200/50Khz digital 500 Watts RMS HDFI Sonar receiver, good for 600m.

Lots and losts of features in such a small unit (130mm x 110mm) speed, water temp, trip log, voltage, temp history, NMEA 0183 input/Output, Position, bearing and range to waypoint, SOG,COG,TTG and time. (Requires input from a NMEA 0183 compatible GPS) on a super clear Sunlight Viewable 256 color TFT (Thin Film Transistor)

Model ? Raymarine DS400x

Colour/Grey Scale? 256 colour TFT

Pixels? 76,800 pixels (320 x 240 pixels,1/4 VGA )

Power output? 500 Watts RMS

Screen size? 3.5” Sunlight Viewable

Unit size 130mm x 110mm

Water temp display? Yes

Speed display? Yes

Warranty? Yes

What did you pay for it? Just under $ 400 USD (I think they are around $650 to $750 ozzy dollars ????? can get good deals on ebay)

Value for Money? I think so.

Easy to use? Very

In your opinion, does it find fish accurately? I think so

In your opinion, does it find bait balls accurately? You actually can see the lure going down and across etc, has a lot of detail.

In your opinion, does it read the bottom accurately? 100% ,

Any extras worth mentioning? Cool screen colour selections, Submersible to 1m for 30 min, dual beam, voltage indicator

What are you able to do with your sounder? I use it in fresh water in the lakes around Canberra, had lots of success with finding interesting bottom structures and in turn productive fishing.

What can't you do with your sounder? Post on Fishraider :)

Your (personal opinion) rating out of 10 overall? 9 out of 10, just because the plugs at the back of the unit are a bit tight for big fingers, however if you mount the unit in your dash then I guess you have no problems.

Pic?

I’m very happy with this unit and as previously stated it works very well in shallow and deep water due to the dual signal sonar, which can be set to either beam or both, has all the zooms (2x, 3x, 4x manual or auto), real time A scope, very clear screen in full sun or at night. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a smaller unit that punches out some performance.

Here's what Raymarine say about this unit on their official web site:

The DS400x incorporates Raymarine’s patented digital sonar technology, HD Digital™. Raymarine HD Digital sets a new standard in sonar performance thanks to an adaptive digital sonar receiver that intelligently monitors the water column and brings fish and bottom structure into crystal clear focus.

Bright 256 color Sunlight Viewable TFT display

Submersible to IPX7 standard (1m for at least 30 minutes)

Dual frequency 200/50Khz for excellent inshore and offshore performance

Hands free,fully automatic HDFI digital technology adjusts more than 220 sonar parameters per second

NMEA 0183 interface receives GPS waypoint and position data

500 Watts output power

A-Scope Mode Sonar returns in real time

Backlight Display and Keypad

Bottom Coverage Display Digital Indicator display of the diameter of the seabed based on depth and transducer beam angle

Data Displays Speed,Water Temp,Vessel Battery Voltage, Trip Log

Max Depth 2000’ (600m).Note:Actual depth performance may vary due to water, seabed and vessel characteristics.

Mounting bracket or optional console mount kit

Navigation Display Position, bearing and range to waypoint, SOG,COG,TTG and time. (Requires input from a NMEA 0183 compatible GPS)

Sonar Receiver Type Patented Raymarine HDFI digital receiver

Temperature Display Includes historical temperature graph

Zoom Mode 2X,3X or 4X Magnification Manual or Auto zoom control

also here is the link http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/Product...product_id=1698

post-1420-1189725663_thumb.jpg

post-1420-1189725716_thumb.gif

post-1420-1189725727_thumb.gif

post-1420-1189725743_thumb.gif

post-1420-1189725755_thumb.gif

Edited by Grebbo

HUMMINBIRD 777c2

has anyone got one of these or know what they are like?

i am thinking of getting one sent over from the US and hook it with the GPS that u can get seperate (matrix and 700 series).

i know that the 777c2i comes with inbuilt gps but that is gps of the usa coastal only... therefore i want the one with the external gps to use here in oz.

how much does one of these unit sell for here? i can get one in from the states for about $600.

HUMMINBIRD 777c2

has anyone got one of these or know what they are like?

i am thinking of getting one sent over from the US and hook it with the GPS that u can get seperate (matrix and 700 series).

i know that the 777c2i comes with inbuilt gps but that is gps of the usa coastal only... therefore i want the one with the external gps to use here in oz.

how much does one of these unit sell for here? i can get one in from the states for about $600.

Hi

I have read somewhere that Hummingbird does not transfer into metric, be careful of any that have inbuilt maps that you can't add to with Navionics card etc, I bought an Eagle unit from USA recently and it tells me I am off the east coast of australia near sydney but that's about it. I am planning to buy the Navionics card, until then I have trasnferred all data from handheld over to combo, using the blank gps screen but with all my previously loaded nav marks on it. not too bad, get onto a bloke called Bonzerimports.com.au for some more info and prices to Australia, I bought my Eagle combo from Ebay Usa, arrived in 5 days 1/2 price of Australian Unit.

Pedro

Hi

I have read somewhere that Hummingbird does not transfer into metric, be careful of any that have inbuilt maps that you can't add to with Navionics card etc, I bought an Eagle unit from USA recently and it tells me I am off the east coast of australia near sydney but that's about it. I am planning to buy the Navionics card, until then I have trasnferred all data from handheld over to combo, using the blank gps screen but with all my previously loaded nav marks on it. not too bad, get onto a bloke called Bonzerimports.com.au for some more info and prices to Australia, I bought my Eagle combo from Ebay Usa, arrived in 5 days 1/2 price of Australian Unit.

Pedro

Hi,

Pedro is right, when I was in the US, I have spent quite a lot of time looking for a fish finder, mainly because they are around ½ price, but all of them were imperial (e.g. foot and Fahrenheit) and I looked everywhere, from Wal-Mart, to Bass Pro and all major boating stores, I even called the Humminbird customer info, where a girl told me that the US models were able to be switched to metric, however this was incorrect, and I had to take one back, thus why I went for the Raymarine as it was the only one capable of switching to metric. So before you buy from the US check that it will work in metric, usually if the model is described as “International” this indicates that it can be switched to metric.

Grebbo

• 1 month later...

b4 u buy a sounder find out what to look for in 1

buy a book called---

!!!!!!!!! depth sounder secrets !!!!!!!!!!!

costs about 15 bucks

and cant recommend it highly enough

tells u everything to know about sounders and gps

also extras like setting it up in right angles /positions etc

has the best info on sounders and what to look for

for all needs fresh to deep sea

Any recomendations on where to get it?

• 1 month later...

I've got a Lowrance X136DF and find it an excellent sounder.

Display <<

480V x 480H resolution

16-level grayscale

Performance Features <<

Depth penetration to 2,500 feet* (760 m)

Dual frequency 200/50 kHz Skimmer® transducer with built-in temp/speed/distance readings

Overlay data

Plus <<

Protective screen cover

Sealed and waterproof

Full one-year warranty

What did you pay for it - $400.00 AU Delivered

Value for Money - Yes

Easy to use- Yes

Any extras worth mentioning - You can download an emulator for the sounder so you know how to use it, well before you put it in the boat!

What are you able to do with your sounder - Find fish

What can't you do with your sounder - Make a cuppachino

Pic - See below.

post-194-1175382543_thumb.jpg

Snapper! BABY... YEAH!!!!!

Gday mate

Just wondering if you could help me out..

I have the Lawrance X 125 sounder and im not sure if the settings are right,because I cant get any arcs on the screen...If its set to fish ID it shows the fish but I want to see the arcs..

Maybe the setting need to be altered.???? Also when downrigging I cant see my bomb on the sounder..??

I'm new to using sounders so something might be set wrong...???? Everything seems to mounted correctly ,so I'm a little stumped...

Sorry for all the questions Guy's but I need some advice ...please :biggrin2:

Regards Chris

Gday mate

Just wondering if you could help me out..

I have the Lawrance X 125 sounder and im not sure if the settings are right,because I cant get any arcs on the screen...If its set to fish ID it shows the fish but I want to see the arcs..

Maybe the setting need to be altered.???? Also when downrigging I cant see my bomb on the sounder..??

I'm new to using sounders so something might be set wrong...???? Everything seems to mounted correctly ,so I'm a little stumped...

Sorry for all the questions Guy's but I need some advice ...please :biggrin2:

Regards Chris

Try downloading the product emulator. I learned all about ours and how to work it all before even using it.

CLICK HERE

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Chris,

Leave the fish ID off, and turn the gain up, this will cause some noise but that can be reduced in noise reduction menu. Play around with both until you are happy.

Do your self a favour and get a copy of Rick Huckstepps Depth sounder secrets, it's only about $15 and worth every cent.

Robbie.

Chris,

Leave the fish ID off, and turn the gain up, this will cause some noise but that can be reduced in noise reduction menu. Play around with both until you are happy.

Do your self a favour and get a copy of Rick Huckstepps Depth sounder secrets, it's only about $15 and worth every cent.

Robbie.

Thanks Robbie

I will play around next time out..... :thumbup:

Try downloading the product emulator. I learned all about ours and how to work it all before even using it.

CLICK HERE

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Thanks mrsswordfisherman

I have used this emulator,but still I'm not up to speed on correct settings ..Everything is set on Auto and not sure if I need to adjust anything...

Regards Chris

• 2 months later...

I have a 560C Barcrusher on order and they are suggesting a Lowrance LCX27C. Reports on Lowrance on other forums are mixed (as with all forums!!!).

Anybody got any experience?

Main use is for GPS and diving so needs good reef definition. Fish finding not that important (do any of those really work well anyway?)

Edited by Booma