Stanwell Park Beach

domza

I made a unexpected trip down to stanwell park with my dad last night. Got there with 20 mins of light left. Chucked out 3 rods with ganged pillies on each one, and stayed up until 8:30 for 1 small sand crab :thumbdown:

Some guys next to us got a nice tailor but thats about it from everyone there..

Anyone got tips for distance casting? I just couldn't seem to get the distance over the breaking waves.

i was using a 12.8ft carbon rod with a baitrunner 6500

im not an experienced beach fisher but i dont think thats the idea, as far as i take it you want to find a nice deep gutter which is between the breaking waves and the sand! say the waves break in the shallows but then it drops off deeper again before the sand and this is where you want to be!

Guest Big-Banana

My brother in law and his mum hit Stanwell Park Beach heaps and always get Salmon and Tailor. His mum can barely cast 10 meters and I've seen her pull Salmon to about 5 kg and Tailor to about 2kg. She got a ripper bream around 40cm the other week too. Do your homework from high ground and find a nice gutter.

Domza - there are a couple of ways to get additional casting distance on the beach (apart from buying a longer or stiffer rod).

1. Bigger sinker - a bit obvious, and I'm sure you've already thought of it, but larger sinker = longer cast.

2. Patternoster rig instead of running sinker rig: I don't know the physics of it, but a patternoster rig casts a good 25 - 50% further than a normal running sinker rig. The patternoster is the preferred beach rig for tailor anyway as it suspends the bait mid-water rather than on the bottom.

It's true that fishing gutters is the way to go for certain species, but salmon and tailor will often hang a bit further out. Long casts are often needed to get amongst the action. I've had plenty of beach sessions where we've significantly outfished nearby punters because we were getting our baits out further than they were.

Domza - there are a couple of ways to get additional casting distance on the beach (apart from buying a longer or stiffer rod).

1. Bigger sinker - a bit obvious, and I'm sure you've already thought of it, but larger sinker = longer cast.

2. Patternoster rig instead of running sinker rig: I don't know the physics of it, but a patternoster rig casts a good 25 - 50% further than a normal running sinker rig. The patternoster is the preferred beach rig for tailor anyway as it suspends the bait mid-water rather than on the bottom.

It's true that fishing gutters is the way to go for certain species, but salmon and tailor will often hang a bit further out. Long casts are often needed to get amongst the action. I've had plenty of beach sessions where we've significantly outfished nearby punters because we were getting our baits out further than they were.

Hey Mondo,

I'll have to get you to take me beach fishing, only ever tried once before where i was unsuccessful.. I'm also keen to break in my new fishfinder custom MT6144

Guest Aussie007

i use to swim at stanwell park beach easy way to find the gutter is start off at the car park not the SLSC car park but the other one walk up the foot path take the fisrt left walk down onto the beach head 20m to the left the gutter was there back in the late 90's and still there few months ago

Greetings,

For distance casting, what i do , is to use a 50lb dacron leader , 12lb nylon line, stiff rod and massive sinker

My main line would be 10lb as this would handle most tailor and salmon, (as long as you play them)

If your rod is around 12foot, use about 18ft of dacron, around the 50lb breaking strength.

With a fine needle, weave the nylon through the centre of the dacron, occasionally the nylon

will exit, its ok, re enter it into the dacron again and continue.

run a sinker on to this dacroned nylon attach the end to a swivel, then a small trace and then your

ganged hooks.

at the top where the nylon entered the dacron, bind it down and put some super glue.

you will find that when about to cast , that some of the dacroned nylon would be over the spool of your

reel a few times, with the stong out dacron, you can really belt into the cast,

the results are absolutely amazing.

ilk

Greetings,

For distance casting, what i do , is to use a 50lb dacron leader , 12lb nylon line, stiff rod and massive sinker

My main line would be 10lb as this would handle most tailor and salmon, (as long as you play them)

If your rod is around 12foot, use about 18ft of dacron, around the 50lb breaking strength.

With a fine needle, weave the nylon through the centre of the dacron, occasionally the nylon

will exit, its ok, re enter it into the dacron again and continue.

run a sinker on to this dacroned nylon attach the end to a swivel, then a small trace and then your

ganged hooks.

at the top where the nylon entered the dacron, bind it down and put some super glue.

you will find that when about to cast , that some of the dacroned nylon would be over the spool of your

reel a few times, with the stong out dacron, you can really belt into the cast,

the results are absolutely amazing.

ilk

sounds interesting mate, do u have any pictures of this setup?

attempt two. last nights efforts, fished 7pm-12

p1020315vf7.jpg

dad got this 70cm salmon and my 48cm tailor

Edited by domza

Nothing wrong with a 48 cm Tailor. Shame there weren't more of them. I think at this time of year 7.00 pm is a bit late. I'd say you should have been there about an hour earlier. I've always found that unless Tailer are really going off the best times are the first hour of daylight in the morning or right on dusk ( sun off the water) and about a half hour to an hour into the dark. Full moons they last a bit longer and they can go for quite a while but not as thick. These were my main target species from the beach for a long time and I love catching and eating them. Sadly they are not there as much these days although I have been trying hard covering a stretch of coast from Killcare in the south to Catherine Hill Bay in the north.

I use a Ball Sinker (size depending on surf condition) running down to an 8" to 12" wire trace with a gang of 3 or 4 hooks of size 3/0 or 4/0 depending on the size of my pilchards. When a strong side current exists I sometimes swap leads to one of the Star shaped Pyramid sinkers that holds bottom.

Keep trying and let us know how you go.

I don't eat Salmon so I cant say too much other than they fight well.