Hen And Chicken

The bay was perfect today, overcast, no wind and calm water.

Ran into Coollamon and his mate and also dangles who was land based

Boated ( for a change ) around the bay today with micksfishn who was kind enough to let me tag along. We had a top morning landing well over 30 fish. About 10 legal bream, the best around 33cm and the rest flaties, whiting and choppers, the best flatie about 45cm. Caught on sx40's and a variety of tailed grubs, colour of the day green.

Also caught my first bream on hb- 33cm. This is the first time i really devoted time to the hbs and they did not let me down-sx40 in 303, caught about 4 legals mainly during low tide.

Thanks again Mick, had a great day

All fish released

Billy

post-2525-1177236194_thumb.jpg

post-2525-1177236235_thumb.jpg

Nice one 1975

Was it you guys near the rowing club around midday at the entrance to the bay?

I was with my son on the blue and black Skeeter fishing the boats.

We were out trying to get a couple of shots for a school project he had to do.

Greg

Was it you guys near the rowing club around midday at the entrance to the bay?

I was with my son on the blue and black Skeeter fishing the boats.

We were out trying to get a couple of shots for a school project he had to do.

Greg

yeah that was us, had no luck under the boats. You get a chance to fish?

By the way "nice tinnie you have there"

billy

hi all, billy just about summed it up great days fishn tried out a few new spots on the other side of the river plenty of fish caught, congrats on the first bream on h/b billy good day all round the avacado squidgy done most of the work for me with the sx40 for billy (bass next time befor it gets to cold)

cheers mick

yeah that was us, had no luck under the boats. You get a chance to fish?

By the way "nice tinnie you have there"

billy

Thanks Billy

We had a fish first up in Five Dock bay and scored a few nice bream and a stack of flatties. Nothing big but great for the young bloke to winch up on his little rod! Biggest bream would have only gone 31-32cm and most of the flatties were in the 40cm range.

Only got 1 bream under tho's boats but we also got 1 frigate, did you see them busting up every few mins?

Top fun on tho's bream rods and the rooster tail from the line flying threw the water is always spectacular!

Greg

Thanks Billy

We had a fish first up in Five Dock bay and scored a few nice bream and a stack of flatties. Nothing big but great for the young bloke to winch up on his little rod! Biggest bream would have only gone 31-32cm and most of the flatties were in the 40cm range.

Only got 1 bream under tho's boats but we also got 1 frigate, did you see them busting up every few mins?

Top fun on tho's bream rods and the rooster tail from the line flying threw the water is always spectacular!

Greg

Missed all the frigate action, damm would have been fun on light gear!!!!! You did well to land one.

Your boy looked quite young,is he already into the sp's?

Missed all the frigate action, damm would have been fun on light gear!!!!! You did well to land one.

Your boy looked quite young,is he already into the sp's?

Yeah Jeremy is 6 almost 7 and has been fishing with me on my boats since 3. He first started to learn how to cast around 3 when I use to practice casting into buckets in the back yard every day. He use to be very good at casting but we have both gotten slack lately.

He loves using bait but my boat has no rod holders so it makes it a little hard so we cast plastics. He has been using them now for the last 2 years and has caught some great fish. His PB bream is 38cm to the fork!!! Then there is his EP's, flatties and stuff, Just wish I had his opportunities when I was his age!!

post-3563-1177572224_thumb.jpg post-3563-1177572212_thumb.jpg

Greg

Yeah Jeremy is 6 almost 7 and has been fishing with me on my boats since 3. He first started to learn how to cast around 3 when I use to practice casting into buckets in the back yard every day. He use to be very good at casting but we have both gotten slack lately.

He loves using bait but my boat has no rod holders so it makes it a little hard so we cast plastics. He has been using them now for the last 2 years and has caught some great fish. His PB bream is 38cm to the fork!!! Then there is his EP's, flatties and stuff, Just wish I had his opportunities when I was his age!!

post-3563-1177572224_thumb.jpg post-3563-1177572212_thumb.jpg

Greg

He is one lucky and talented boy, and he blows my pb out of the water!!!!!

My little girls 4 and hasn't got the patience yet, but loves to play with the caught fish. I'm still holding out hope.

Billy

well done 1975 great session mate. good to see some fish

caught. well done on the PB.

have ago at young jeremy some great fish there for a 6 yr

old. alot of talent at a young age. keep it up.

regards mark

Edited by Mark_17

Great session there 1975, congrats on your bream on HB. Does fishing from a boat allow you to fish longer, well into low tide? I find being shore based that I'm better off fishing the high tide - wonder if I should invest in some waders next summer so that I can reach further when the tide is low ...

GregL - your Jeremy is one amazing fisho. Well done.

Great session there 1975, congrats on your bream on HB. Does fishing from a boat allow you to fish longer, well into low tide? I find being shore based that I'm better off fishing the high tide - wonder if I should invest in some waders next summer so that I can reach further when the tide is low ...

GregL - your Jeremy is one amazing fisho. Well done.

I've always fished h&c land based, that was my first time at the bay in a boat and it blows being land based away!!!!! Still can't believe i caught so many big bream :biggrin2:

as for waders someone told me that the bottom may be to soft for wading but not 100% sure. I have waded out at iron cove and it does give you 5-10m of extra water.

Pm next time you want to fish and i may be able to join you.

Billy

Waders are good down there if you go the other side from the boat ramp. Enter via Wymstone pde Wareemba/fivedock. Here it's more flats and weed beds.

At low tide you can get out a good 15-20m which is about thigh deep to access the deeper weed beds or fish the high and the first 30m from the wall fish well for both bream and flathead.

Look for the drain pipes that come out from the wall especially after any rain;)

I use to fish this area alot when I first started fishing plastics about 6 years ago(wow time flys!) and then when I was learning the fly rod. NIce and easy with not to many snags.

Good luck

Greg

I've always fished h&c land based, that was my first time at the bay in a boat and it blows being land based away!!!!! Still can't believe i caught so many big bream :biggrin2:

as for waders someone told me that the bottom may be to soft for wading but not 100% sure. I have waded out at iron cove and it does give you 5-10m of extra water.

Pm next time you want to fish and i may be able to join you.

Billy

Billy, - might take you up on that offer though winter is setting in real quick. Don't know if there's much time left to fish the area!

GregL - thanks for the tips on waders in the area. Any tips on wading in Iron Cove? In the evolutionary scale of a starting fisho, what does one get up to after 6 years on SPs - HBs and poppers?

GregL - thanks for the tips on waders in the area. Any tips on wading in Iron Cove? In the evolutionary scale of a starting fisho, what does one get up to after 6 years on SPs - HBs and poppers?

No worries Pmak

Iron cove I usually fished off the southern side wall. Easy fishing, no wet feet, some nice bream and flathead and a great prev! :thumbup:

Best place to park is at the club on the end of Lilyfield rd Lilyfield.

You can then go either way.

6 Years on and I'm still learning! lol

My lure collection is huge but I still need more........ :thumbdown:

Tackle gets more expensive and boats get bigger and faster. :biggrin2:

The :wife: still gets angry about how often I want to go fishing :(

And last of all, yep I still want to go every day! :yahoo:

Greg

Iron cove I usually fished off the southern side wall. Easy fishing, no wet feet, some nice bream and flathead and a great prev! :thumbup:

Greg

Ah, yes. I did notice a lot of joggers in the area :074:

I've tried the area you mentioned from the UTS Rowing Club to Le Montage and it usually produces.

Am liking the area a lot - fishing wise ...

Pmak

When fishing along the wall make sure your first casts are along the wall in the direction you are walking;)

Alot of the fish are right at your feet!

Get your casts in before you walk there so you dont spook the fish off.

Fish light and long leaders, finesse is the key for these busy areas.

Greg

Pmak

When fishing along the wall make sure your first casts are along the wall in the direction you are walking;)

Alot of the fish are right at your feet!

Get your casts in before you walk there so you dont spook the fish off.

Fish light and long leaders, finesse is the key for these busy areas.

Greg

Thanks for the tip Greg. Will put it down as one of the 'must do's next time I'm out. Learning all the time ...

• 1 month later...

No worries Pmak

Best place to park is at the club on the end of Lilyfield rd Lilyfield.

You can then go either way.

is that where they have closed the old bridge?