Squid & Rain

Shark Bait

Hi all.

Is it worth chasing squid when the weather is cold & wet. I struggle to catch them in good weather (a 6 hour session for 2 squid at night). I don't know how bad weather will effect catching squid. The only way I have been able to catch them is at Jettys with lots of light at night. If I put in hard, I might get 1 or 2 for the night. Does anyone know how the cold & wet will effect them?

Thanks

Rick.

howdy shark bait,

I've caught squid in poor conditions as long as it didnt rain for days, they dont like the fresh.

Just an idea carry a few different jigs in size and colours .Squid love the lights,every now & then change colours ,they go off the bite very easily.Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brett A

hey shark bait

i have had my best squidding sessions during the rain , don't know why that is though.

Just be sure the water is not to dirty , like it is in the harbour at the moment, makes it hard if not impossible to catch the buggers.

Hi all,

I agree that squid seem to be hard to catch in a fresh but that could be becuase they move somewhere. Last big fresh I got a huge Calamari under the Roseville Bridge on an SP, the water was the colour of choclate.

Will have a go for them on the weekend so will let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Southerly

mate i have been fishing botany bay for a little while and before the rains came in the last few days we have had no problems catching 4-5 in an hour. we have fished the last 2 days for 1 squid in about 6 hours of trying. we tried different lures and depths etc. the rains has caused the water to become murky so i have learnt that im better off getting yakka's than i am trying ot catch squid.

I dunno guys - I've been given 'old timer' advice that squid actually congregate around fresh water flows into the salt. I remember an old fella telling me that his secret squid spot near Jervis Bay was so successful precisely because it was situated in front of a little freshwater stream.

I can understand why dirty water might be a problem, but I think the jury's still out on whether the rain, of itself, affects squid fishing in the slightest.

Hey guys,

Found a school of arrows at the Spit this morning, water visibility was about 2 mtrs and it was a light brown colour. The squid were deep (15-20 mtrs). I had no luck early casting to the shallow weed banks for a calamarie.

Southerly

I chased spuid in broken bay & pittwater for about12 hours over 3 days through the week. I scored 1 at Patonga on a 1.8 gram pink yozuri with a green glow stick 100mm up the leader. I spoke to another guy who was fishing for Jews at Juno. He told me that he always catches squid at west head with a huge sqquid jig. He said it was about 150mm long. He said he would try for an hour or 2 for nothing, then all of a sudden he'd catch 5 in the next half an hour. He had the squid to proove it. I'll just have to keep trying cause I'm obviously doing somthing wrong.