Wollondilly River Station

Jamiel1000

Can anyone advise on what the fishing is like at the Wollondilly River Station.

The place looks nice to camp at but fishing is the main reason to go there.

Has anyone been there and had any luck?

Cheers

Ahh Wollondilly! It's a top spot to camp. Brian & Ena run it. The place is huge.

The fishing can be tough there as it is open year round ( no closed season ) & it gets hammered. There are some nice Rainbows in there though. Winter is best especially after a bit of rain. Just don't do what I did & get flooded in! :(

The best we pulled out of there was a 51cm rainbow. I've seen bigger rubbing bellies in winter there though.

It also makes a top base to do a bit of exploring aroung the area. The Abercrombie river is close by & holds some decent fish & a trip to Wombeyan caves is always good.

Yep, had many a memerable trip to Wollondilly. :biggrin2: Tell Brian that Grant says g'day.

Cheers,

Grant.

Ahh Wollondilly! It's a top spot to camp. Brian & Ena run it. The place is huge.

The fishing can be tough there as it is open year round ( no closed season ) & it gets hammered. There are some nice Rainbows in there though. Winter is best especially after a bit of rain. Just don't do what I did & get flooded in! :(

The best we pulled out of there was a 51cm rainbow. I've seen bigger rubbing bellies in winter there though.

It also makes a top base to do a bit of exploring aroung the area. The Abercrombie river is close by & holds some decent fish & a trip to Wombeyan caves is always good.

Yep, had many a memerable trip to Wollondilly. :biggrin2: Tell Brian that Grant says g'day.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks for the info Grant.

Can you recommend a particular area to set up camp, I understand that they have about 7 klms of river to choose from

What type of rig did you have success with down there.

Cheers

Thanks for the info Grant.

Can you recommend a particular area to set up camp, I understand that they have about 7 klms of river to choose from

What type of rig did you have success with down there.

Cheers

Mate anywhere along the river is nice to camp. I have seen & caught good fish near the bridge but I prefer to drive down the road before you get to the bridge. There are plenty of places to stop & some really nice pools & runs. When the road runs out just get out & start walking. The further you get away from the camping areas the better the fishing.

We have caught fish on lures, plastics, fly & bait. One of my favourite rigs was a large wet fly tied 18 inches above a celta or tassie devil. I caught plenty on this rig & the fish will hit both the fly & lure.

Maggots are one of the best baits as is powerbait of course.

Brian usually hear's about or see's most of the fish caught & he'll give you the low down.

As I said the fishing can be tough. You will get a few fish but it is just such a nice place to be.

I'm looking forward to a report from there.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks again Grant

will be heading down in a fortnight's time.

I am a bit of a hack but seem to have one (or two) of just about everything to try to catch a fish on.

Haven't caught a trout on fly yet but got a few on SP and various lures

I'll keep my fingers crossed

cheers