Fly Fishing On A Spin Rod?

Hi Billy

No dumb questions on Fishraider - someone usually has the answer!! Just a matter of finding out who it is!

Re: spinning with light line with flies ......

Unless you are using a bigger fly (like a salt water fly that is already wet or has a bit of weight to it, like a weighted nymph) or have something like a small weighted float (the ones you add water to) it could be difficult to load the rod up enough to be able to toss it at all! My sister in law caught trout in NZ using a small float partly filled with water about 1m above the fly, to cast the fly out. The clear ones are best as they don't spook the fish. Cast upstream & let it tumble down small rapids, riffles etc so the fly looks 'natural'. Even a pencil float could work - the fish would be used to seeing twigs etc floating downstream.

About 10-15 years ago there was a product available that turned a spin rod into a fly rod - you could cast the lightest fly on it, but it was quite expensive & I am kicking myself for not buying one on the one occasion I found it in a shop!! Never seen them again! Called a Statech Spinfly Line. It came in 3 weights & was stored in a plastic cylinder closed at both ends. The one I saw was about 45cm long. Try some of the older, more established fly fishing shops - they may have one gathering dust under the counter! Ask the old geezer behind the bench who has worked there all his life - the youngies wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about! You could muck around with some floating flyline attached to the front of your mono, with the tiniest of removable shot on it - worth a punt ... I am thinking that a bit of sinking line would work a treat if you wanted the fly to sink! I keep meaning to give it a go at the end of some mono here at Forster for a weed resistant, very slow sink line ..... but haven't got around to it yet! So many ideas, so little time!

Check out this site for an explanation & info on spinning with flies in general - pages 157 & 158:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XMH-xPI5X...stJ8E#PPA158,M1

Also, this mob apparantly have them available - don't know if it is still current info tho

Statech" Spinfly Lines

PO Box 6388

Novajo Dam, NM 87419

Tel: 800-752-7132

Fax: 505-632-0329

Est: 1991

Use your spinning reel to cast like a fly rod. Call for our 12-page booklet that describes it all.

Good luck!! Hope I have helped rather than confused!!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

If the fly is slightly weighted you can bow and arrow cast them.

Any of the bream and flattie sized flys is not a problem with the bow and arrow cast.

Ones with lead/brass eyes you can cast as normal. These are heavier than some of the bream plastics I use with worm hooks and no weight.

Greg

Thanks for the quick reply.

Roberta, I'm still trying to digest your encyclopedic reply so give me a couple of Days :wacko::biggrin2:

Greg, The bow and arrow cast sounds like an advanced skill and should only be attempted for those with more than one rod!!!!!

May have to get my hand on some flies ( add a bit more weight ) and give it a go.

Billy

very easy to do.

braid to a small clear plastic float (for casting weight), then leader tied to the fly.... this way you can fish dry flys easily, and wet flys to certain depths, dependant on your leader....

you can also add water to the float to give extra casting weight

:1fishing1:

Ask Stewy to show you how to do the bow & arrow cast - he did a beautie at the casting comp at the Presentation on Sunday! :1prop:

Roberta

Anyone know of a site that shows this?

Billy

Anyone know of a site that shows this?

Billy

This should answer your question mate, step by step instructions on how to Bow and Arrow Cast.

This is a cast you must first practice without a fly on your line. Take out two to four feet of fly line. Grab the tag end of the tippet between your forefinger and thumb. Leave no slack on the reel. With your rod hand, hold the fly line tight against the rod.

Point the rod tip toward the spot where you want the fly to land, extending your rod arm, holding the end of the tippet tight. Pull the tag end tighter until the rod tip bows. You should look somewhat like you are shooting an arrow.

post-2529-1178170131_thumb.jpg

With the rod tip held at a slight angle, and importantly — without moving the rod when you let go — release the tag end of the tippet. The end should drop softly wherever you were aiming.

Tie on a fly. Repeat the steps but insert this instruction: Grab the fly at the shank (the bend of the hook) between your forefinger and thumb. Be careful, folks. There's not much more painful or embarrassing an experience than impaling a thumb or finger just by trying to cast.

Again, if you have a decent amount of tension and the rod is bent back and you don't move the rod thrusting it forward — wherever you point it, that's where it's going to land.

post-2529-1178170145_thumb.jpg

You can also curve the bend of the rod to your left or right so you can get the fly under obstacles. You'll put your fly into tighter spots where no other anglers have fished, you'll catch more fish, and it's a cool-looking cast to boot.

IFS

Hi IFS

We must have googled the same spot!!!! I found that one, too! It is for fly rods tho.

However, Billy, be very careful when trying it (assuming you have a spinning rod, not a fly rod) - lots of people have broken the tips of their rods off by bending them back too far (some very expensive rods!!)

You have to 'know' your rod's action well & start off with a say, 1/2 bow & arrow - only bend your rod tip a bit, then a bit further on the next cast etc, till you get to a point that you haven't broken it, & don't want to go any further! Go too far & it will break!

Found this bit ......

To do the bow and arrow cast, get 3/4 rod length of line out, hold the jig/fly between index finger & thumb and point the rod at the target, pull the jig towards yourself until the rod tip bends to the degree you are happy with (start off with a slight bend & work your way up,) or, if you want to be bold, go back further and then release the jig. Make sure you hold the line coming off the bail tightly with your finger before opening the bail. You release the fly/jig momentarily before you release the held line. You need to practise it. Don't move the rod during the procedure. The fly/jig should shoot towards your targeted spot in a straight line.

the cast is useful for when sneaking under rowing shed ramps from the land. There's no room to put a normal cast in there. If you can release the cast close to the water, you can get the jig to skip across the surface. This can also be done by doing a side arm cast, similar to trying to skip a stone across the water. Haven't found much use for the skip cast yet if landbased, but have skipped underneath mooring ropes which you'd snag on if you cast over them. If you were on a boat I'd expect you could get to all sorts of structure that you'd like to skip under.

WORD OF CAUTION: high modulus graphite rods don't take too kindly to this kind of treatment, it could get quite explosive!

Try angling the rod butt out to the side some, thereby creating a wider 'arc' in the rod, much less stress and you still get the same effect upon casting

Also known as 'sling shot cast' and 'pitching' in the good ole US of A

Cheers

Roberta

PS Hey, Stewy, get a short video of yours & add it to the video Thread??!!

• 4 years later...

Hey Roberta, my old mum still does two days a week at a charity shop and she's always bringing stuff to me she thinks I'd be interested in, in particular anything 'fishy'. I always add few bucks extra to what she asks for as it's for a good cause. Some amazing things go through the store and when ma and pa visited an hour ago she pulled out some lovely wine glasses, a cute little wooden fish carving, and two tubes with these "weird long skinny flouro green floats''. I actually remembered, as you said, these unusual spinfly lines in the mags many many year ago, had a look at the tiny writing on the lines, and yep they are Statech spinfly lines. Ma and Pa left, I googled Statech and your four year old Fishraider reply came up!!!!!!!

Ma brought two tubes they originally came in; one with a single, 30cms long line which has 30 Floating on it and the second tube has two lines, each 45cms long and marked 50 float. Equal to three weight and five weight flylines? Now off for more Google searching as one tube has sticker saying "complete with special Spinfly tapered leader, TURN ON strike indicator and special Spinfly tapered leader and Spinfly booklet with complete intructions'' but I only got the lines in their tubes. This could be fun and I'm thinking the brand new 7'6" Lox ultralight spin rod may be perfect to try them. Could be a blast on one of those tiny rivers around Oberon way. Cheers and thanks for the info four years later!

Back again, just found the only place in the world which sells the spinfly lines (they say): http://skipsoriginals.com/STATECH_SPINFLY_FISHING_LINE_Fly_Fish_With_A_Spinning_Rod.aspx

Great info on that site, now have the basics on how to use them. They are really interesting. The 30 float means yes it floats (!!), but the 30 stands for 30 grains, or the equivalent of a 1/16th jig or lure. The 50 Floating weighs 50 grains or equivalent of 1/8th casting weight/lure. The spinfly lines go up to 200 grains (1/2 oz!!!!)

If I remember grains is what fly fishos use to describe the weights of their shooting head lines (true?). They are actually claimed to be used as mini shooting heads on fly rods in tiny streams as well. The 30 Float can cast dry flies of size 16 and smaller, or wets of size 12 or smaller, while the 50 Float is said to be able to cast size 12 or smaller dries, size 8 or smaller nymphs and even micro-jigs.

Lot of claims made about them on the site/shop above: far superior to a bobber/float; Lays a dead flat/straight fly presentation when line is stopped with finger at end of cast (with a tapered leader a must); far better than conventional fly lines when trying to beat flyfishos curse of flyline drag in river currents because its so small (I imagine the braid on my ultralight spin reel will help too as braid floats); far more subtle when cast onto small clear shallow streams with the makers saying they look only like a small branch/twig falling on the water, which is common, rather than a full flyline.

There is some other stuff including about how the Spinfly line can be guided into specific eddies, pockets, seam lines on a river in a way it's not possible or hugely difficult to do with a conventional flyline, again beause of its tiny length, but river trouting is all new to me and I'm still getting my head around all that.

Lots of big claims about these lines and you gotta wonder why they didn't take off. They won best new tackle at the huge US tackle trade show when they debuted. Maybe it's the price: $US34.95 for one line! Better give mum a coupla extra bucks!

Now time to watch the casting video and tomorrow to buy a couple of tapered 7 and a half foot leaders they recommend, and some size 16 Royal Wulfs!! This could be fun.

Edited by bombora

Bombora this will help explain the grain weights for you also one of the deadliest techniques too fish a wet is to fish a streamer patterne like a hairy dog, wooly bugger,a zonker or craigs nighttime behind a celta tie it off the bend of your celta on about 6 inches leader an old Maori fella showed me this in the Tokaanu Tailrace at Turangi and he nailed 3 fish quicksmart where I failed nymphing on my 7 weight! Apparently it mimicks a bait fish being chased and the trout get very agressive about it great technique in high and discoloured waters.

Here's a table of accepted range of weight in grains for the line weight ratings:

AFTMA STANDARD FLY LINE WEIGHTS

(grains per first 30 feet)

Line Rating Ideal Weight (grains) Acceptable range (grains)

1wt 60 54-66

2wt 80 74-86

3wt 100 94-106

4wt 120 114-126

5wt 140 134-146

6wt 160 152-168

7wt 185 177-193

8wt 210 202-218

9wt 240 230-250

10wt 280 270-290

11wt 330 318-342

12wt 380 368-392

13wt 450

14wt 500

15wt 550

Thanks for the grain explantion LA. Watched the video and very interesting. Seems a legit and effective way to deliver a dry fly on a spin rod with the finesse needed for clear and shallow water, and answers some questions, like why not just learn to conventionally fly fish. Appeals to my inner contrarian.

Love your work better Nanook!!!! :wub: :wub:

Hey LA, thanks hugely for the offer but right now I've got to work through my ultralight trout spin obsession before tackling the fly!!! It's a bit of a worry. Already make tiny jighead wooly buggers and jighead deceivers and baby trout jigminnows and jighead crays/yabbies and mudeyes between 1/64th and 1/8th oz which, just maybe, even Nanook might approve of!!! (see the latest amazing Kanangra adventure!) Or not!

Edited by bombora