Biggest Jew I Have Seen In My Life....caught At Flint And Steel

Yabbiehunter

The next person who tries to make this fish out to be something other than a great capture will be removed from the forums.

There will be no warning either :ranting2:

Swordfisherman (Admin)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simple calculation will tell you that this fish is around 70 lb.

Length in inches squared, multiplied by the girth and then divided by 1200 will give approximate weight in lbs.

ie 50 *50 * 36 / 1200 = approx 75 lb. (dimensions estimated from the human)

I know of many large jew caught an F&S and rule of thumb for biggies is 10 - 12 lb / foot, but this fish is very fat and is easily the full 68 lb.

What a beauty. You've gotta love whole mullet for bait at this time of year.

Length in inches squared, multiplied by the girth and then divided by 1200 will give approximate weight in lbs.

I know of many large jew caught an F&S and rule of thumb for biggies is 10 - 12 lb / foot, but this fish is very fat and is easily the full 68 lb.

Spot on Livo. :thumbup:

Damn nice fish.

Cheers,

Grant.

are you a fisherman or a rocket scientist?

are you a fisherman or a rocket scientist?

Both, which is why I was asking those dudes who caught the big land-based kingfish how they managed to cast a 1.5 kg squid out as bait from the rocks bearing in mind that it is like trying to throw three stubbies. The method I would use would have the squid chopped and cooked before it hit the water and I think the Army would want to know where there Bazooka went.

Seriously though, look for the common denominator and cancel out before you do the maths. Quite simple really. Did you know you can estimate fairly accurately the weight of a Marlin by measuring the circumference of it's "ankle". ie the bit right in front of the tail. Apparently 20 inches equals 1000 lb. Mind you I cant verify this as I've never been able to catch one.

There are many different and quite accurate ways to measure the weight of fish without scales. Do a google and you'll see what I mean.

pfffft .... I can do that , i just don't feel like it !

NAH, I'd trasde my mother-in-law to land that bastard!

Mother in-law as live bait ,,,,,,,,u never know it might work. :1prop:

penguin

Hey Yabbiehunter, can you talk to your mate and get him to give you a few details on the fight or landing this baby!

I mean, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, to me its created a thousand questions.

The only thing I have ever caught bigger than that was a speedboat going the other way when I cast out!

How on earth did he get it in the boat would probably be my first. :wacko:

I mean, I know you can get your hands under the gills , but would you do that if it came in green and still fighting? And I suppose you would have to be carefull about where exactly the hooks were if you did it!

I'd also like to know what its been eating, there is a fair bit of space to put food in by the looks !

Your mate's done a champion job, get him to tell us about it :biggrin2:

Cheers

Edited by stumpy

How on earth did he get it in the boat would probably be my first. :wacko:

I mean, I know you can get your hands under the gills , but would you do that if it came in green and still fighting? And I suppose you would have to be carefull about where exactly the hooks were if you did it!

If you caught a fish that big and it was in the water next to the boat, there would be so much adrenalin rush you would pull it in like a 5kg fish.

Hooks? I think that would be the last thing on your mind, I'd be more worried about the line breaking before I could haul it in.

Have you seen the mouths on these things?

I saw one that was nearly as big as this and the guy caught it on bream gear off the beach. It took him 45 minutes to get it in. You could nearly fit your head inside its mouth, and yet here he was, catching it with a long shanked hook that barely got around the rim of its mouth on 12lb line.

This is a once in a lifetime fish around these parts. I'd be stoked catching one half (or third) this size.

I'm just glad he hasn't posted pictures of the cutlets cooking on the bbq and even luckier we haven't got smell-a-vision. :074: That would make me even more jealous.

Cheers

Greg