Help Needed - Advice For Boating Newbies

Sputnik

Reading through the pages on the site, it looks as thought here are going to be a bunch of new boaters on the water soon, so I wondered whether any of the “veterans†could offer some advice.

Specifically:

Where’s a good place to go and practice reversing your trailer? (Given that a boat ramp on a Saturday morning isn’t the best place to discover that it isn’t as easy as it looks!) Are there any decent open spaces in the Sydney area that give a novice boater the chance to experiment?

I’m sure all of you regular boaters now have a routine that comes as second nature to you when you’re heading out for a day on the water - but have you ever thought what that routine is? And, more to the point, could you share it, perhaps by writing down some kind of “checklistâ€, for the newbies?

Lastly, given the old adage of “if it can go wrong, it will go wrongâ€, what are the most common occurences that can freak out a novice boater, and what can be done to make sure they don’t happen?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you guys can give. I’ve seen a number of people be very generous with their time in the past, offering advice on all sorts of boat-related stuff. It’s just one of the things that make this site worth visiting on a regular basis...

Cheers!

Edited by Sputnik

I can't help with a spot to practice reversing I'm sorry but I can give you a couple tips.

If possible prepare your boat for launching before you reverse down the ramp.

Establish a routine / checklist & stick to it. If you have a visitor along I found it better to ask them to stand aside while you go through your routine otherwise things can get mixed up & missed out.

Heres an example

1. Remove safety chain from boat

2. Remove lights (if applicable)

3. Check bungs

4. remove motor support bracket

4. remove towing strap / fasteners

5. prime engine with fuel

Thats just to give you an idea anyhow. Different rigs need more or less depending on the set up.

Having a system is the only way to go & sticking to a set pattern is a very effective way of not missing anything.

The most common problem I have seen is not putting the bungs in :D Make sure you report the first time it happens to you :insane:

When you are learning try to avoid busy times & don't get phased or pushed into rushing by other boaters. Take your time & etablish a routine for launching & retreiving & you will be fine.

I dont know about backing practice however when looking in your rear view remember which ever direction the back of the car is going the back of the trailor is moving in the opposite direction.

Once you get the trailor turning in the direction follow it round with the car.

The best bit of advice I can give you when on the ramp is TAKE YOUR TIME its your turn now.

Get yourself a routine happening mine is:

Before backing to the ramp

1/Take off strap

2/Put Bungs in

3/Prepare Motor and fuel connections

4/Take safety chain off front of boat

5/ Tie on Painter (rope to front of boat).

When its your turn back your trailor and boat down to edge (If its not a large boat like a tinny try and keep your wheel bearings out of the water and get someone to tell you when the water is just below the hub).

Launch your boat and get someone to hold onto the rope(Painter) or secure it out of the road of incoming and other boats.

Drive car away from launching area so the next boat can start his or her routine.

The first time I launched a boat I had a few smarses offering me advice and sarcasm so get your boat ready and this will limit the time that they have to offer you any of the above.

Most of all be courteous and it flows on.

:D

A good place for practicing reversing with the trailer is at the Silverwater ramp (right under the Silverwater bridge). There's a huge car park there which is rarely used (except in winter where there may be a few soccer players), and there are not many people there to see you make a fool of yourself. A word of caution though, if you intend to launch at the ramp wait untill all river cats are well out of the way as their wash will cause problems.

One simple trick which I have learned when reversing is to hold the steering wheel at the bottom. If you want the trailer to go to the right, move your hand to the right, same thing for the left.

As has been said before, double check the bungs! I also make sure the engine support bracket is off but leave the engine up (don't want to scrape the skeg).

Also, I always pull out the brake light plug from the car before immersing the trailer so the lights aren't operating in the cold water - never blown a bulb in three years.

Happy boating!

Edited by bullfrog

I am happy to try and help; however I'm sure many other members could expand and further develop on my comments.

Trailer: You could try practising reversing at a near by carpark out of hours such shopping centre, playing fields or even an industrial park/warehouse complex etc. Or hire a box trailer for 4 hours from a servo and you will soon get all the basics worked out and maybe even take a load or two to the tip.

That brings me to first check item--- am I in the good books and have sufficient points with the wife. (Very important) :wife:

Check list/ routine

Safety gear all OK

Rig all the rods the night before

Get fuel

Food and drink/water

Visit tackle shop for Bait and any other gear I want or need???

Load boat ensuring nothing will slide around eg esky, tackle box rods etc. I generally sit all these items on old towels and secure esky in the cabin with ocky straps.

Ensure rods will not slide around and drags are tightened up. (Don’t travel with rods in rod holders or rocket launchers) I sit them in the cockpit on a towel and resting on the corner seat.

I use a small step ladder to get in and out of the boat when loading.

Before we go

Hook up trailer and plug in lights

Attach safety chain and shackle

Tighten up Tie down strap

Check bow of boat is hard against hitching post roller.

Boat keys and bungs

WD 40

Check oil and top up with spare engine oil if needed

Put engine up and lock in position.

Seat belts on and go go go.

Stop for ice

At the ramp

Take off tie down strap

Bungs in

Prime engine with fuel bulb

Motor half down

Put rods in holders/rocket launcher

Key in ignition

Check the throttle is in natural and no one has bumped it, in particular the children

Tie rope to front bollard for launch

Reverse trailer

Take of safety chain to boat winch point

Take off winch shackle

Push boat off trailer

Tie up/ beach boat

Park car and trailer

Check I have locked car got wallet, sunnies and car keys.

Back on boat

Push off

Motor down

Bung in live bait tank

Start motor and go fishing

Hope this helps, nothing to difficult. :busted_cop:

Mate youve got pretty comprehensive list of things to do here so I wont add to it, but here is a couple of things NOT to do: more of an etiquette thing.

Dont prep your boat on the ramp as this pisses some people off a lot. Pull up in the car park and do it their. Applies for getting it out and putting it in.

Dont let arrogent people rush you, take your time, just dont waste time.

Dont back your trailer too fast go slow till you get the hang of it. It helps when backing an empty trailer to be able to see it. If youve got a wagon open the tailgate.

Dont stand on the tow ball hitch while someone else drives the trailer out of the water , I see this all the time its an accident waitning to happen.

Youll pick it up in no time :1prop::D

A pretty good list so far. Biggest mistake I have made so far was when launching I didn't make sure the guide rope was clear of the winch when I pushed the boat off the trailer. It got caught and then rope snapped so I had to swim after the boat.

As for reversing practice, like the others have said, any open area that quiet. Also if possible its good to hit the ramp on a weekday for the first time when its much quieter. Even if you just head down after work during daylight savings to launch, quick run around and then retrieve while its still light.

Re ettiquette, as many others have said don't hesitate to ask for help if you are unsure. On the flip side if you are standing around waiting for someone else to launch/retrieve don't be afraid to offer help, such as holding the boat straight while they winch it on. A few people have done this for me and it makes it much much easier when there is a bit of wind about blowing the boat off the trailer.

Finally remember not to get frustrated. Don't let a small prob at the ramp ruin your whole day.

Good luck

Edited by mark_s

I've come in pretty late on this post Mike, but rest assured you have some great advice there!

Am I to understand you have your new boat? Is that what this is all about? :1clap:

I may be going for a fish on Saturday morning, but if your free in the afternoon, you more than welcome to come to my place and we will take my boat over to Smithfield which has thousands of empty factories on a Saturday arvo. We can practice till you perfect it! :icon_peace:

Sputnik ive been praticeing down at Chipping norton, its quiet even on the weekend( depending on which ramp you go to). Ive also been praticing down at warrick farm, the commercial area its get quiet around there and the drive ways are usually very large :1prop: .

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Sputnik ive been praticeing down at Chipping norton, its quiet even on the weekend( depending on which ramp you go to). Ive also been praticing down at warrick farm, the commercial area its get quiet around there and the drive ways are usually very large :1prop: .

20113[/snapback]

Does that mean you’ve got your boat already, Jorg?

Where’s Warrick farm, anyway?

20113[/snapback]

Does that mean you’ve got your boat already, Jorg?

Where’s Warrick farm, anyway?

20128[/snapback]

No Mate havent got the boat yet, been using my brother inlaws 4x4 and tailer.

Warrick farm is about 5 mins away from CN.

Heaps covered in previous postings so just a couple of things from me:

Extend the winch cable to the back of the trailer and secure it over a screw or roller bracket after you have parked your empty trailer. Also engage winch ratchet. This helps when retrieving the boat single handed as I often do. Doesnt give the wind / current time to swing the boat around while you sort out the winch cable / ratchet.

Also make sure to flip over the brake overide tab so your trailer brakes dont lock up while you are trying to reverse uphill into your driveway (something else I often do)

Good luck to all new boaties

John

I never had a 'list' of things to do when launching a boat, but the way I never forgot anything was by counting the number of operations required to launch the boat. ie 1 take off the strap, 2 insert the bungs, etc. As I did everything I simply counted the operations and if the total wasn't right a check was required.

Another thing, any stuff in the car that you want to take with you, put it in the boat when you're prepping the boat away from the ramp. Don't make another 'operation' other than remove keys and lock up the car once the trailer is parked (other than set up the winch rope if you don't drive the boat onto your trailer).

Happy boating!