Sx 40

went for a flick at Bald face Pt this morning to check out my new sx 40 (bought Friday arvo )

first cast a bream hits and I don't get a chance to see or feel the action of the lure

a small run and i land a 24 cm model

I'm thinking, this is a good bream lure

next cast I get a chance to feel the action and I'm impressed

wiggles and shakes like a little beauty

anyway , a couple more cast's and I snag it

SHIT !

I try everything bar going for a swim but alas it's gone

If anyone want's to go for a dive I can tell you exactly where it is

if I can afford it I'll buy another next week

I have a similar story but a different kind of snag,

I was fishing Iron cove about a month ago with my brand new SX40 (306) at it was just nailing everything, i must of landed about 3bream, 3 flatties and a tailor on it before the inevitable happened, SX40 gets nailed, I strike and nothing, feels like a snag? then the snag surfaces, a mega flattie 75+cm, he looks at me turns away and casually bites though my leader, with my SX40 in its gob :mad3:

I actually waited for a while afterwards hoping he would spit it out but no luck :thumbdown:

BM

Yep Ive lost quite a few bream lures to mega flatties and I have landed a few luckily hooked in the lips

I now use 10lb leader for my HBs

Has your bream hook up rate suffered from using the thicker leader?

Billy

Has your bream hook up rate suffered from using the thicker leader?

Billy

Not if the water is a bit murky like most the flats in the parra In really clear water I will move the HB a bit quicker so the bream have to make a quick decision to eat the lure or not This can work well

Yep Ive lost quite a few bream lures to mega flatties and I have landed a few luckily hooked in the lips

I now use 10lb leader for my HBs

Well i have not got lucky with a lip hook yet , i think the current score is crocs 5 me 0 :074:

I just have more confidence with 6lb vanish, also i generally fish pretty clear water

BM

I'm buying another on Thursday

I might even get a bigger one too

have any of you tried the 48 ?

48s work well in slightly deeper water but the flatties love them

I have a gold black back 48 one of the first to come into the country that has caught me heaps bream flatties even whiting Most of the gold has come off and its not swimming real well anymore but it still catches fish They dont get this one anymore the paint was crap on these and they didnt have owner hooks

I trolled an sx40 a couple of weeks ago in the PH and got two tailor hooked at once.

Not big fish obviously but it made a nice phone photo. When the blue tooth works again (damn vista!!) I will post it.

Dave

48s work well in slightly deeper water but the flatties love them

I have a gold black back 48 one of the first to come into the country that has caught me heaps bream flatties

what technique do you use to retrieve a hard body like this ?

do you give it a little flick or just reel in ?

I never flick mine at all just a slow retreive so you can feel the lure pulsing at the rod tip.

Just swim it from your rod tip and you will see the optimum retreive speed to make it swim well.

Cheers Stewy

I never flick mine at all just a slow retreive so you can feel the lure pulsing at the rod tip.

Just swim it from your rod tip and you will see the optimum retreive speed to make it swim well.

Cheers Stewy

the faster the wind in , the deeper it dives ????????

sorry , I only had mine for 5 minutes

the faster the wind in , the deeper it dives ????????

sorry , I only had mine for 5 minutes

All hbs lures with bibs have an optimum retreive speed and after you use them for a while you get the feel of them thru the rod and they work great.

If you need a specific depth you have to try different bibs for shallow and mid water ,the longer and more horizontal bibs go deeper and the more vertical and shorter bibs run shallow.

Lures with no bibs can either be poppers which are for surfcae and sub surface or lures like Jackals which have ball bearings in them to make them go down into the depths fast and are jigged back.

Hope that helps .

Cheers Stewy